Knghta has to go

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: Knghta has to go

Post by j-mac31 »

His main quote this week: "the players didn't execute the game plan."

Happens every week Matthew - either the players will never be able to execute the "plan", or it is shit. Either way, back to the drawing board or f*** off.
Jazz_84 wrote:Defence should always come first, everyone loved his bullshit about an attacking plan but look where it's gotten us? at the moment Sydney a few years ago looks pretty damn good
FYI - not me.
I said back in Kinghts' first year that the game plan sucked because we could not stop the other team kicking goals, which obviously hurts short-term, but also that we should have started with a defensive game plan and added attacking aspects about now (plus with guys like Lloyd, Lucas, Watson and Lovett scoring shouldn't be too much of a problem) but was assured by BTers that the defensive side would come and all would work out well. I'm still waiting for anything that looks like defending and all is not well with the game "plan".
Brumaz wrote:Holy crap the amount of times i was yelling at the tv: KICK. THE. f******. BALL!!!
As the 3rd quarter was starting I was walking up the steps with beer, seemed about 10 people were yelling the same thing - I didn't bother to turn around and watch us f*** it up again.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Should be on notice and told to find alternative plans or simply pack his bags. And some of the players need to be told the same fcuking thing. Save for Dustin Fletcher, the "so called" senior players better lift their game or dispose them to Bendigo for the rest of their careers (i.e until the end of the season). Shape up or ship fcuking out - THE LOT OF YA'S.
Essendunny
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Send Knights back to his loser club Richmond ( they make a good match) & we get Hardwicke , a bloke who bled Red n Black. He would at least ,inject some steel & discipline into this mob.

Also probably has a much simpler game plan eg : (1) get the ball ,(2) KICK it, (3) have players in position up forward & (4) Man up your opponent. Simple.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

robbie67 wrote:
nomolos wrote:Its not the coach... its the personnel.

That's his fault too.

Players that are at the root of the problem.

Mcveigh
Welsh
Dempsey
Slattery
NLM
Monfries
Winderlich
Dyson

All recruited by Kevin Sheedy.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

nomolos wrote:
robbie67 wrote:

That's his fault too.

Players that are at the root of the problem.

Mcveigh
Welsh
Dempsey
Slattery
NLM
Monfries
Winderlich
Dyson

All recruited by Kevin Sheedy.
Could also add Ryder to that list. Has been useless so far this year. Where has the form from Ryder, Winderlich and Dyson gone from last year? Dempsey is too inconsistent, along with Monfries (although he was good until he injured his quad).

I have been a defender of Knights up until this year, and even in the first couple of rounds. I had hoped that we were just starting off a bit slowly, and would improve. No, we are in fact getting worse.

I thought that he would need a couple of years to improve the game plan and bring new players into the team. I don't mind losing to a team that is better than us. I do have a problem in the way we are losing. The buck stops with him, but I also think GO'D, Campo and Hickmont have a lot to answer for. By the way, who is in charge of the forward line?

- Moronic handballing out of defence. What is wrong with a kick towards the boundary. At least it may give players the extra few seconds to set up.
- Only a few players doing the 'team' things - shephards, blocking etc
- Horrible disposal by hand and foot even when in the clear.
- No decent setup around stoppages, every player trying to go in and grab the ball.
- Playing guys that can't cut it. Slattery, NLM, Mcveigh, Welsh the main offenders who seem to have a cemented spot in the 22. A lot of other passengers this year who were ok last year.
- No forward line structure, half the time there is no-one inside 50 we we do have the ball. Not that we could hit the target in any case.
- No defensive side to our game at all. Utter shit if there is.

The list goes on, and on, and on, and on.

Getting very close to boarding the get rid of Knights train. God knows why they extended his contract when we only just scraped into finals.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

nomolos wrote: All recruited by Kevin Sheedy.
Dont get me wrong, I know a lot of the blame rests with Sheedy, but Knights backed these blokes in, when their limitations had been apparent to the rest of us for years.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

robrulz5 wrote:I was prepared to support Knights but after today I've had enough. Our game plan is pathetic, give the forwards a bloody chance.

Thank f*** for Dustin Fletcher or the margin could have been much much bigger...
Agreed. I was on hios bandwagon up until 10 minutes into the 1st quarter yesterday. The game plan is f****** rubbish and the players he has playing are nearly worse.

Why do we handball to a one-on-one 5 meteres away but wont kick to a one-on-one 50 meters away? Our game plan is obviously to handball at all costs and not kick long to a contest, and it is not working!!!!!!!!!!!!

61 games to go until he is gone.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Rossoneri wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:I was prepared to support Knights but after today I've had enough. Our game plan is pathetic, give the forwards a bloody chance.

Thank f*** for Dustin Fletcher or the margin could have been much much bigger...
Agreed. I was on hios bandwagon up until 10 minutes into the 1st quarter yesterday. The game plan is f****** rubbish and the players he has playing are nearly worse.

Why do we handball to a one-on-one 5 meteres away but wont kick to a one-on-one 50 meters away? Our game plan is obviously to handball at all costs and not kick long to a contest, and it is not working!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really? I thought the extension was to the end of next year? Meaning only 39 more.

Hopefully its not even one more game under this joke.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

tonysoprano wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:

Really? I thought the extension was to the end of next year? Meaning only 39 more.

Hopefully its not even one more game under this joke.
Nah, end of 2012. All up a 5-year plan that is going to take us back to where we started. Wants to make sure that we end up as bad as Richmond. he hated us when he played for them, now he is the rat inside the ranks and killing us from inside.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Knight’s insatiable desire to play offensive football is all arse about. The silky skills displayed by Geelong and St. Kilda were developed as a final piece to a puzzle that started with getting the basics rights such as a solid defence, a strong midfield, a productive forward line and powerful rucking combinations. The ability to run the ball through the lines was almost a by product of getting these other building blocks in place as players became accustomed to each others styles and grew as a group, nailing down the basics first.

Knights plan has been to jump in at the top end of the equation and expect our guys to be able to play the elite run on style without cementing the basics. This playing group is better than what we have seen in the last couple of weeks. It is being asked to do stuff that it is not yet equipped to do. With every additional embarrassing turn over, confidence drops and even the basics become un reachable.

Knights came out with the usual mia culpa statements in this morning's press but nothing along the lines that he was going to change his game plan. His stubbornness will ultimately cost him his job if he is not careful. To have only the one plan with no fall back is simply suicidal in the modern game.

The fact that many posts have highlighted not one or two players for criticism but almost the entire list suggest to me that the problem is team wide which once again points to the overall tactics which are basically wrong for the above reasons. I still have faith in the playing group as we have seen last year in particular, their ability to play good football. There has to be a fundamental change in direction which will bring about a change in attitude with the playing group, hopefully a positive one.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Rossoneri wrote:
Nah, end of 2012. All up a 5-year plan that is going to take us back to where we started. Wants to make sure that we end up as bad as Richmond. he hated us when he played for them, now he is the rat inside the ranks and killing us from inside.
oh dear.

then the situation is even more desperate than I imagined.

he must go. he must go NOW.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Gimps wrote:
That is out-and-out F****** bullshit.. Knights is trying to train these blokes to play an un-natural brand of footy. Our first 5 goals came from kicking the ball long towards the forward line. The peanut in the box is telling them to use the handball to set up the play. Everyone can see that the players are scared to throw the ball on the boot. Yet, when we do that, we seem to look better. Again, the peanut, is responsible for us having 10 players within 10 metres of the ball most of the time cos they are all looking for a handball.

He's gotta go.. Nuff said.
Hit the nail on the head. We look slow because we're all flat-footed, standing still and move the ball slowly. We could look bloody fast if we moved the ball quickly. It's not about leg-speed if you kick the damn ball. The ball moves faster by foot than any person can run.

Eradicate this handball at all costs crap and we might begin to resemble a football team once again. Until then, we're in for a long, long winter.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Stan Alves or Mark Maclure should be our coach - they both only have one piece of advice for any struggling team: kick it long down the middle.
rockhole wrote:Knight’s insatiable desire to play offensive football is all arse about. The silky skills displayed by Geelong and St. Kilda were developed as a final piece to a puzzle that started with getting the basics rights such as a solid defence, a strong midfield, a productive forward line and powerful rucking combinations. The ability to run the ball through the lines was almost a by product of getting these other building blocks in place as players became accustomed to each others styles and grew as a group, nailing down the basics first.
Indeed.

Plus I always think it would be easier to get a good defensive game plan going, then add attack, rather than the other way around. By not defending early on, you create lazy players.
Plus with the guys we had on our list, we could have still scored plenty of goals without talking once about specific attacking plans.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

robbie67 wrote:
Dont get me wrong, I know a lot of the blame rests with Sheedy, but Knights backed these blokes in, when their limitations had been apparent to the rest of us for years.
Robbie .. this says it all. I've been raving on about this for ages but you have summed it up here in one line. If we had a coach with a bit of hardness about them like Matthews, Hardwick etc .. these players would have been gradually removed over the last few years and we would be at a much better point now.

Now we have a game plan that doesn't work and a group of the softest, skinniest players you would ever want to see.
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

Rubbish.
Credit where credit is due.
The boys have really turned things around since that Anzac debarcle.
They are having a fair dinkum crack which is all you can ask for.
Dissapointed - Yes but bagging the coach and players - NO
And for the record - Anzac day - Yes - Why didn't have a crack...

In the end today a couple of crucial mistakes is what cost us the game...

Not the coach or the gameplan.
Was a great game to watch today
Keep up the good work I say...

Get behind the club and support them...
Good times will come...
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

Apologies to Knighta and all who have read this thread, for writing this post and for bringing it back up.

If we beat Richmond this week we will be 4 wins, 5 losses.
I am eating humble pie that is for sure.

I still don't agree with the path Knighta was taking earlier in the year, it seems to have paid off and our side is improving.
So well done
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

bpdons wrote:Apologies to Knighta and all who have read this thread, for writing this post and for bringing it back up.

If we beat Richmond this week we will be 4 wins, 5 losses.
I am eating humble pie that is for sure.

I still don't agree with the path Knighta was taking earlier in the year, it seems to have paid off and our side is improving.
So well done

The jury remains well and truly out for me. The Port Adelaide games is still causing me a lot of heartache and that was less than 2 weeks ago. Getting "up" for marquee games is simply not good enough and the real test for Knights and co will be not whether we arse a win against a top 4 side but how effectively we beat the likes of Richmond, North, Adelaide and Melbourne.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Windy_Hill wrote:
The jury remains well and truly out for me. The Port Adelaide games is still causing me a lot of heartache and that was less than 2 weeks ago. Getting "up" for marquee games is simply not good enough and the real test for Knights and co will be not whether we arse a win against a top 4 side but how effectively we beat the likes of Richmond, North, Adelaide and Melbourne.
yeah i'd like to see us beat an in form side. Stkilda are obviously not that at the moment and neither is hawthorn.

a good acid test for the club will be when we play the dogs, cats again and sydney away.

who knows what will happen this week against richmond..but if we lose I think it will be more mental than anything else. those other three games I would expect the players to be very switched on, taking on what they know are in form sides.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

little_ripper wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
yeah i'd like to see us beat an in form side. Stkilda are obviously not that at the moment and neither is hawthorn.

a good acid test for the club will be when we play the dogs, cats again and sydney away.

who knows what will happen this week against richmond..but if we lose I think it will be more mental than anything else. those other three games I would expect the players to be very switched on, taking on what they know are in form sides.
My point is not whether the opponent is in form or not - its more about how we seem to find added motivation against the so called 'big teams' yet remain unable to smash the so called 'run of the mill' sides.

I actually disagree a little with regards to the big test being how well we go against the Cats, Dog and Sydney away. I actually think that the big test, given where we are as a young developing side, is how well we cope with teams like Melbourne, Richmond and North - teams that more often than not make us suffer.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Windy_Hill wrote:on, taking on what they know are in form sides.
My point is not whether the opponent is in form or not - its more about how we seem to find added motivation against the so called 'big teams' yet remain unable to smash the so called 'run of the mill' sides.
[/quote]

Well im sure that's the coaches problem now.

:roll: