Chocko Williams, Hird, Lloyd, Burns and Wellman ....

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
danstar84
Club Captain

Chocko Williams, Hird, Lloyd, Burns and Wellman ....

Post by danstar84 »

"Don't make plans for 2011"

----------------------------------

From a BB member fogdog, who I know personally, and trust. This has also been posted on BB.

It has been awhile since I have posted any rumours or gossip in the hangar, for multiple reasons, but tonight do so, not to put my name in headlights, but to gauge the bomberblitz community on what could be a massive massive massive move.

I preface this gossip with a reminder to those that know me and advice to those who don't, I am not a Knights basher or hater. In my opinion I don't think Knights has done a lot wrong off the field, but I do think he has struggled on matchday and the results speak for themselves.

So......

Tonight I have learned from a quality insider that Knights will have to front board at the next board meeting and give a clear indication of where the team is at and where he thinks they'll be by the end of the season.

Knights will be asked to assess the season so far, break down certain aspects and compare the progress against KPIs outlayed in 2008 for a five year plan. I believe he will then be given an ultimatum.

Apparently after the dreamtime game of 2008 there were question marks over the defensive gameplan. Knights fronted the board where he told them the gameplan will be tweeked over three seasons and the third season would introduce the defensive aspects. Not happy with this, Knights was requested to fast track the defensive game. From memory I think we travelled to AAMI not long after and lost by less than a kick which bought some more credits.

Two and a bit years on, the shocking performances are becomming regular, the defensive efforts, which in the plan were supposed to be introduced in 2010, are few and far between.

The board, on the back of the Crows final last season and a few stinkers this season, have become restless.

I have it on good authority that if Knights doesn't meet particular targets this season then he will not see out his contract.

In fact, here's the big news:

I have heard ALL of Mark Williams (Chocko), James Hird, Matthew Lloyd, Scott Burns and Sean Wellman have been contacted to discuss a potential coaching panel in 2011.

Despite each of the names above all having various contracts, they all have get out clauses and are potentially available for the 2011 season.

So prepared is Essendon, my source tells that each of the names above have been told in no uncertain terms "don't make plans for 2011 until we've had a chance to talk further" after flagging the possibility with them.

So confident in the reliability of this news you will now here a different response in the media from Hird and Lloyd in relation to Knights after they were both privately requested to "tone down criticism of Knights." You can expect to hear both of them say things like 'back the coach' or 'got to get behind him till seasons end'.

You'll also find that if Hird is asked in the media does he want to or will he ever coach? Instead of giving a straight out NO like he previously has been saying, he may give a more trivial response like 'i am enjoying what I do now' or 'there's nothing on the agenda at this stage' or 'i'm too busy with my business'. Basically he won't rule it out.

So whilst this is not a thread to advocate the removal of Knights, it is interesting to think the board could be assembling some good coaching apprentices in Hird, Lloyd, Burns and Wellman who would serve under Chocko.

Please don't take this as gospel and I'm expecting a few to flame me. I say with all honesty that most rumours you hear have an element of truth to them. There is every intention of a rumour becomming a reality only for a piece of the puzzle to go missing. In this instance it's a massive puzzle that would require a lot to go right, or wrong, to be put together.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Re: Chocko Williams, Hird, Lloyd, Burns and Wellman ....

Post by Rossoneri »

Yeah, I read that too and replied to it. As I said, I am not sure if Fogdog is just stirring the pot knowing that the journo's read BB or if it is fact. He has been right before, but he has been wrong as well.

Time will tell. He did get the part about "So confident in the reliability of this news you will now here a different response in the media from Hird and Lloyd in relation to Knights after they were both privately requested to "tone down criticism of Knights." You can expect to hear both of them say things like 'back the coach' or 'got to get behind him till seasons end'.
Hirdy did say on Monday night to get off the coaches back etc. And I didn't hear Lloyd say anything on SEN this morning about our game-plan.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Even if the names mentioned are not accurate or don't fall into place, I feel happier anyway knowing that at least the board aren't satisfied with the crap being displayed at the moment.

Great post.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

BomberinJapan wrote:Even if the names mentioned are not accurate or don't fall into place, I feel happier anyway knowing that at least the board aren't satisfied with the crap being displayed at the moment.

Great post.
I am happy with this also. Sounds like the board are preparing for any possibility.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Even if it is only a rumour... I'm sporting wood :wink:
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

i also heard that the coaches had to face the Board last Monday for a "please explain !"

If the "rumour" is true it makes sense for the " powers that be" to take this action as in any organisation, if results are not there & any personnel are underperforming they are " on notice"

Has to happen
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Prefer it if the name was Leigh Matthews instread of Chocko Williams, but apart from that, unless we see significant improvement over the rest of the season, I would hope the Board would be looking to get some quality people into the club.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

I was totally opposed to Chocko this time last year but I think he would be perfect for our group and club now.

It smells like dog shit to me but would love to see it happen
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

And if I was Knighta, I would be telling the board to make my 12 month payout in nice crisp $100 bills.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Well this rumour has vindicated my Coaching Dream Team post at some level.

Criteria being;

Premiership experience as either player or coach and Essendon people.

Its a tough old game for unsuccessful coaches especially at Bomberland ;

Coach Games Wins Loss Draw Years
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Des Tuddenham 90 47 43 0 1972-75 52%
Bill Stephen 44 16 27 1 1976-77 36%
Barry Davis 67 30 36 1 1978-80 44%
Kevin Sheedy 635 386 242 7 1981-2007 60%
Matthew Knights 50 19 31 1 2008- ? 38%

One of Knights biggest problems is that the powers that be arent the guys that hired him. They have no natural loyalty to stand by that decision.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

Add to that John Birt.Great player,hopeless coach.
Four wins for his one and only year.
Out.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

At least somebody at the club is taking responsibility and trying to fix the clusterfuck of issues going on at the moment.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Filthy wrote:No complaints from me on these current actions and proposed plans

What severly pisses me off is another wasted year.
agree on both accounts!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

DId anyone see a snippet of David Evans on The Footy Show last night ?

He was asked about the Knights contract and made it quite clear that there were performance based KPI's in it. The full interview with him will be seen on the Sunday Footy Show. Now why would he come out with this if there werent serious underground contingency moves a foot ?

Curiouser and Curiouser cried Alice.....

I think the whole crux of the issue is, if fogdog's rumour isnt right 99% of Bomber supporters wished it were right and that contingency plans are in place should things get any worse. I prefer to hope he is on the money.
Menzie!! ❤️

Regards

MH_Bomber
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Bah humbug... Smells like BS to me. Time will tell though...

:^o
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

MH_Bomber wrote:
Premiership experience as either player or coach and Essendon people.
Gary O'Donnell - 1993 Premiership player. Former captain of the club. Assistant coach to Leigh Matthews (who some want as our senior coach) for 3 consecutive premierships 2001-2003.

How do you reckon he would go as senior coach of our club? He fits your criteria....
Essendunny
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I thought he was a more than ideal candidate 3 years ago when the Knights appointment happened. He had been an assistant at Brisbane through their premiership years, a captain at Essendon and yes a 1993 premiership player. However wasn't it the case that he didn't want to take over from Sheedy at the time and wasnt interested in applying for the job. I was quite surprised he wasnt a more prominent candidate at the time of the Sheedy contract non re-extension.

Unfortunately now he is associated with this Knights era. This might mean he is seen as part of what will become regime change. However, If things get really chronic in terms of our performances and Matthew Knights continuing becomes untenable, there is a possibility he could take over in a caretaker role.
Menzie!! ❤️

Regards

MH_Bomber
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Terry Wallace won premierships as a Hawthorn player and took the dogs to two consecutive preliminary finals. How did he go at Richmond?
Watson was a 3-time premiership player with us, how did he go at St Kilda?
Mick Malthouse played for the Tigers and won a couple of flags, played in losing GF too. Has not won a flag for 17 years despite having more resources than any other club in the AFL at his disposal.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Sorry I dont get these posts pointing out that there have been exceptions to the rule. What I am saying is that having been involved in premiership success as a player is a great prerequisite for knowing how to head toward a premiership as a coach.

What about ;

John Coleman (2)
Sheedy (4)
Parkin (4)
Matthews (4)
Bomber Thompson (2)
Blight (2)
Barassi (4)
Worsfold (2)
Malthouse (2)
Menzie!! ❤️

Regards

MH_Bomber
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

MH_Bomber wrote:Sorry I dont get these posts pointing out that there have been exceptions to the rule. What I am saying is that having been involved in premiership success as a player is a great prerequisite for knowing how to head toward a premiership as a coach.

What about ;

John Coleman (2)
Sheedy (4)
Parkin (4)
Matthews (4)
Bomber Thompson (2)
Blight (2)
Barassi (4)
Worsfold (2)
Malthouse (2)
What Rosso is getting at, is that it is not the be all and end all in regard to having successful playing careers as a coach. Some of the games greatest coaches did not have successful playing careers - either because they were ordinary footballers themselves or they were playing in a period of great shitness i.e

Tom Hafey 67 career games in a bleak period - coached 4 premierships and runner up in 5
Allan Jeans 77 career games in a junk period - coached 4 premierships and runner up in 5
John Kennedy Snr 164 games in an unsuccessful period - coached 3 premierships and runner up in 1

More recently, we have seen Mark Williams, Clarkson and Roos win flags after having no success as players. This despite the percentage of coaches appointed that have been premiership players is much higher than those who have not.
Essendunny