Dons leaving Windy Hill?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Dons leaving Windy Hill?

Post by Doctor Fish »

Ian Robson is coming up on SEN to make the announcement if anyones interested...
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Re: Dons leaving Windy Hill?

Post by ealesy »

Doubt it will happen, seems more a move to put pressure on the Bowls Club to force them to move to allow for the planned redevelopment of Windy Hill because they are currently digging their heels in and refusing to move.
Splodge
Top Up Player

Post by Splodge »

ealesy wrote:Doubt it will happen, seems more a move to put pressure on the Bowls Club to force them to move to allow for the planned redevelopment of Windy Hill because they are currently digging their heels in and refusing to move.
that's what it sounded like to me.
Carlton Football Club - Surely a contradiction in terms?
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

No way.

A surburban bowls club cannot be allowed to stand in the way the way of a national multi million dollar sporting business. The bowls club ,although we are sympathetic to their rights, are probably hanging out for a better (financial) deal.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Why would the club be entrenched in negotiatons to secure government funding to improve Windy Hill if its plans are to up roots and move on at the first obstacle. Clearly there is a roadblock ocurring with the bowls club and the Dons are probably playing a little hard ball on the poor old dears who do the tea and biccies at the bowls every Saturday
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I'm actually a fan of that bowls club.. Build around it I say.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

The bowls club was there when it was a league ground ffs. Surely there is enough room to build around it.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Problem with that Dom is that part of the redevelopment is to increase the size of the ground so it is the exact same dimensions as the MCG.

Makes a f***load of sense when we play the majority of our home games at Etihad Stadium. Seems like the powers that be realise that was a massive cock up and will be looking to move back to the MCG in 15 years time when our ridiculous 25 year contract with Etihad or "whatever it is called then" Stadium expires.

Graeme McMahon and PJ were great for the club, but one must question their judgement in signing on for such a long time at a brand new stadium, where they had no idea what problems or issues there could be.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I want my tile back !
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

ealesy wrote:Problem with that Dom is that part of the redevelopment is to increase the size of the ground so it is the exact same dimensions as the MCG.
I never got that to tell you the truth. It's not like they are doing full match simulations
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Just put them on the roof.

robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

The footy club has been putting money into the bowls club for years. Can't they repay the favour by moving somewhere else nearby?
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Here's a brilliant idea.

Give them that car park on Napier Street and buy up 3 or 4 houses that run opposite where the Showers Stand was. Chuck $1 Million at each if need be. I know the club is against spending any sort of money in any situation, but get it done ffs.

I can't accept that there is no resolution possible to this issue.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

The bowls club has already been moved in the recent past - when the Showers Pavillion was redeveloped into the pool/leisure centre.

The Bowls Club goes back to the 1800's as does the Cricket Club. The footy club moved there in 1922 (Johnny come lately's).

If the council and the Bowls Club tries to hold the Football Club to ransom over the redevelopment - I suggest the Council and Bowls Club will not exist in their current form - for much longer.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

hop wrote:The bowls club has already been moved in the recent past - when the Showers Pavillion was redeveloped into the pool/leisure centre.

The Bowls Club goes back to the 1800's as does the Cricket Club. The footy club moved there in 1922 (Johnny come lately's).

If the council and the Bowls Club tries to hold the Football Club to ransom over the redevelopment - I suggest the Council and Bowls Club will not exist in their current form - for much longer.

I can see some godawful Windy Hill apartment complex development being drawn up right now...

:roll:
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

ESSENDON chief executive Ian Robson says free agency is driving the club's pressing need for a radical redevelopment of Windy Hill.

how about the on-field success of the club as a reason? :roll:
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Robson is bluffing but rightly so. He holds all the cards from council and government support to comminity support. The deal will happen but at what price.??
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark