Lucy delisted!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Lucy delisted!

Post by jimmyc1985 »

danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Well done EFC. 19 year old gone, and Bolton retained. rebuilding my arse.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Wonder if the club are thinking about picking him up as a rookie?

Must have someone we are looking at in the PSD to delist him. Not much available at the moment.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I thought he would have been given a decent go like some others.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

danstar84 wrote:Well done EFC. 19 year old gone, and Bolton retained. rebuilding my arse.
and yet the Sheedy apologists well continue to defend him, because he's won 4 flags in the past!!!

I tell you what people if anyone expects us to improve on our effort this year they are kidding themselves!!

Bolton, Campo and Heffernan will continue to get games, while the likes of Dyson, Nash, Lee will struggle to not only get a game but also get any gametime on the rare occassions they actually do get a game in the seniors.

While Lucy might not have cut it at this level, he also might have, he didn't even get an opportunity. Time and time and time again, year after year after year after year, Bolton has proved he is no good and yet he gets another year!!!

This decision boggles the mind!!!

Think Supersonic had the right idea with his signature last year, Sheedy has lost the plot.

Given the recent decisions, I wouldn't be surprised if Sheedy re-drafted Henneman with pick 2 in the draft!!

2007, the year 2 Essendon greats will bow out...Sheedy and Hird, pity Sheedy will have damaged his reputation so much in his final few years!!
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

robrulz5 wrote:I thought he would have been given a decent go like some others.
what like Dyson, Lee, Nash??

Or do you mean guys like Wallis, Henneman, Bolton, Walsh, Murphy etc.

Seems that if you are a good bloke with lots of ticker then Sheedy will give you countless opportunities.

However, if you actually display some freaking talent, you better hope Sheedy also thinks your a good bloke, because apparently being a good bloke is his main selection criteria when it comes to picking the list and team!!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

On the surface it doesnt look good.

However, you have to think that the young kid just never showed anything to be delisted after 1 season and having played not one senior game.

To be honest, if anyone needs to be looked at here it is the recruiting team, Adrian Dodoro specifically. After all, it would probably have been on his recommendation that the club drafted Lucy.

You have to really start to wonder what the hell is going on down there given the wasted draft picks over the last 5 years or so.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Windy_Hill wrote:On the surface it doesnt look good.

However, you have to think that the young kid just never showed anything to be delisted after 1 season and having played not one senior game.

To be honest, if anyone needs to be looked at here it is the recruiting team, Adrian Dodoro specifically. After all, it would probably have been on his recommendation that the club drafted Lucy.

You have to really start to wonder what the hell is going on down there given the wasted draft picks over the last 5 years or so.
Couldn't agree more. Our recruiting is fast becomming a farce. This is a year we we cannot afford to stuff things up.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

In fairness he was a late pick. I just don't see how they can get rid of a player after one single year. We have some guys, a few who have been cut, who have been afforded numerous opportunities and shown nothing. They get to hang around for years upon years. Hypocrisy if you ask me.
beer-man
Club Captain

Post by beer-man »

He was pick 66......I would think they took him a) because they thought he was cheaper than another pick in the PSD and b) because they thought he might have something.

This year our picks ent 19 places higher, so there is a better chance of getting someone better and he is gorn.

Perhaps it was the plan all along?

Perhaps he was coasting and the club felt needed a shock and will be rookied?

or perhaps the hope we had for him wasn't fulfilled.

Either way I wouldn't be cutting my wrists because pick 66 from last years draft has been cut.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

he was drafted as a key position prospect.

He was a possible full-back/CHB.

He was however, a skinny rake of the kid and it was clear to anyone with two eyes that it would be at least 2-3 years before he had a body capable of holding down a key defender position week in and week out and show what he had.

Yet he got cut after a single year without getting an opportunity to prove himself.

This all in a period when we are in desparate need of key position defenders. Simply doesn't make any sense to me!!!
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

So I assume they are paying out his contract? Given that AFL rules state that all first-time players picked up out of the PSD must get two year contracts?
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

danstar84 wrote:In fairness he was a late pick. I just don't see how they can get rid of a player after one single year. .
One year in the system, a reasonable size, but he was a late pick in a weak draft. His ability shouldn't be overestimated.

I wonder if he'll get a rookie spot. He'd possibily be quite handy backup, as there's ALWAYS LTI AT ESSENDON. :x
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

They have got to be kidding. At a time when there is a shortage of key defenders and need to be planning for Fletchers retirement they let an All-Australian uner-18 full-back go.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Staggy wrote:So I assume they are paying out his contract? Given that AFL rules state that all first-time players picked up out of the PSD must get two year contracts?
One can only assume that's the case. $45k or thereabouts isn't much of a hit to a club like Essendon, though.
Ryno
Top Up Player

Post by Ryno »

They only have to give a 2 year contract if they are 17 years old when they are drafted. Never got to see lucy play so i can not say if he was cheated or not.

I look at the system and their is no room for player development. we used most of our list this year. The AFL needs to extend the list so that clubs can carry guys like Paddy Ryder, Cartledge, Lucy that are going to take 3-4 years in the system to mature.

Our biggest problem is that most of our list for one reason or anoter are slow bloomers.. Watson, Dyson CJ, Winder, Laycock, Lee, Stanton they have all taken so long to develope, as other clubs seem to get guys that can play 20 games in their first 2 years.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

All Australian Under 18 Full Back last year.

We lack Key Position backmen. He didn't even get a game in the seniors. Was given a year as an 18-19 year old to build his body etc. Anyone who says the fact his body is an issue obviously has their eyes shut. Fletcher is an absolute stick and was even more so when he won a flag with the 1993 side.

This decision is ridiculous. I am absolutely livid.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Crowny wrote:They have got to be kidding. At a time when there is a shortage of key defenders and need to be planning for Fletchers retirement they let an All-Australian uner-18 full-back go.
On the surface this all sounds right.

But, if he was such a good prospect, why was he so low in the draft to begin with?

Have Essendon used that low pick as a chance to snap up a "potential" player. Seeing as someone selected him for the AA u18 FB possie, maybe it was a fair risk. Maybe in the year he had at the EFC he hasn't shown what they look for?
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

We must move on, it was wrong decision.. im over sheeds crap
king_rasto
High Draft Pick

Post by king_rasto »

All I can say is that I'm bemused.