Who should captian the Australian side????

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Rusty1978
Top Up Player

Who should captian the Australian side????

Post by Rusty1978 »

On the AFL website they have a poll asking who should be captain of the International Rules side. Barry Hall, Micheal Voss or Dustin Fletcher. About 67% of people who have voted said Voss should be. Which I think is pathetic. He has dodged the tour for years with bullshit excuses. The only reason he is in the squad is because he has retired!! I say give it to Hall or Fletch. As they BOTH actually WANTED to play. Unlike Mr.Voss who for years has thought he was too good for the International side!!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

I'm not so sure about Voss dodging the tour for years for 'bullshit excuses'. Without knowing for certain, i dare say that over the last 5 or so years he's had significant knee surgery done at the end of each season, which has kept him out of International Series's in the past. The guy will be a cripple in the mould of Garry Hocking in 5 year's time because he has bone rubbing on bone in his knees.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I believe it has to go to a player who is the current captain of his team, so I would vote for Hall.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

Simple, Voss - Hirdy not playing so give it to the other champion on the modern era. Like jim said the bloke has very bad knees needing end of year arthescopes etc at years end.

Captain = Voss
Naf Rebmob
Top Up Player

Post by Naf Rebmob »

Give it to Fletch!

This is BomberTalk so its only fitting to stick with a bomber.

All bias aside; While all three players are stars of AFL, Fletch is the proven star of 'International Rules' & so deserves this particular title more than the others.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Voss.

He's been injured since this concept began, that's why he hasn't been playing. Keep in mind he played in four consecutive Grand Finals and played with the assistance of a jar of pills and injections in every one of them. Pretty big ask to then stepup and play IR (even if Lethal would let him, which i sincerely doubt.)

He's obviously passionate about it, that's why he put his hand up to play this time. He's also a natural leader. Fletch has never been a captain, and after Bazza's behaviour after the GF im not sure he's a great captain either.

Id love to see Fletch do it but the logical choice is Voss.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Voss
Rusty1978
Top Up Player

Post by Rusty1978 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:I'm not so sure about Voss dodging the tour for years for 'bullshit excuses'. Without knowing for certain, i dare say that over the last 5 or so years he's had significant knee surgery done at the end of each season, which has kept him out of International Series's in the past. The guy will be a cripple in the mould of Garry Hocking in 5 year's time because he has bone rubbing on bone in his knees.

I know that his knees are f***** and that he has had surgery. But, I know for a fact that the surgery he had in 01 & 02, was not needed and were only clean up's. And in 03 & 04, the club wouldn't let him because of his age and they wre trying to get everything they could out of him. And that last year was really the only year where his knees had to have significant surgery, basically a top up from an earlier op that year!!

I think between himself and the lions, more so the club, they had decided that it wasn't nessicary for him to play. Which to me shows a lack of support and love for the opportunity to play for your country. THAT, is why I don't even think he should be in the squad!!

I know he is a deadset legend of the game, and I have the utmost respect for him as a player and a bloke for what he has done for the AFL and Brisbane. BUT, i think we should pick players on merit and players that actually think that playing for their country is a good thing to do.

And just to add, just my opinion!! :D
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Fletcher.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Rusty1978 wrote:

I know that his knees are f***** and that he has had surgery. But, I know for a fact that the surgery he had in 01 & 02, was not needed and were only clean up's. And in 03 & 04, the club wouldn't let him because of his age and they wre trying to get everything they could out of him. And that last year was really the only year where his knees had to have significant surgery, basically a top up from an earlier op that year!!

I think between himself and the lions, more so the club, they had decided that it wasn't nessicary for him to play. Which to me shows a lack of support and love for the opportunity to play for your country. THAT, is why I don't even think he should be in the squad!!

I know he is a deadset legend of the game, and I have the utmost respect for him as a player and a bloke for what he has done for the AFL and Brisbane. BUT, i think we should pick players on merit and players that actually think that playing for their country is a good thing to do.

And just to add, just my opinion!! :D
Noone just up and get a knee op for funsies. He needed them to keep playing at the highest level. He will go down in history as one of the greatest captains ever and righfully so. I'd say give him the gig.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Rusty1978 wrote: I know that his knees are f***** and that he has had surgery. But, I know for a fact that the surgery he had in 01 & 02, was not needed and were only clean up's. And in 03 & 04, the club wouldn't let him because of his age and they wre trying to get everything they could out of him. And that last year was really the only year where his knees had to have significant surgery, basically a top up from an earlier op that year!!
So.... in 01 and 02 he had surgery (yes, only a clean-up, but still required surgery - what are you suggesting he doesnt have the surgery and have his knees at only 80%?)

In 03 and 04 Brisbane wouldn't let him play, and last year he had surgery again.

Geez. 5 years, 3 he was under the knife and 2 the club wouldn't let him play. Yeah, you're right, he really is a scumbag. :roll:
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

Staggy wrote:
Rusty1978 wrote: I know that his knees are f***** and that he has had surgery. But, I know for a fact that the surgery he had in 01 & 02, was not needed and were only clean up's. And in 03 & 04, the club wouldn't let him because of his age and they wre trying to get everything they could out of him. And that last year was really the only year where his knees had to have significant surgery, basically a top up from an earlier op that year!!
So.... in 01 and 02 he had surgery (yes, only a clean-up, but still required surgery - what are you suggesting he doesnt have the surgery and have his knees at only 80%?)

In 03 and 04 Brisbane wouldn't let him play, and last year he had surgery again.

Geez. 5 years, 3 he was under the knife and 2 the club wouldn't let him play. Yeah, you're right, he really is a scumbag. :roll:
spot on
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Fletches and Hall Co-Captains.