The Team v Tigers

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: The Team v Tigers

Post by BenDoolan »

Ossie wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
Ossie wrote:What's the story with Williams?
We expended a lot of effort (seemingly) to get him in and he's played, what, three games? Had a dodgy ankle for a week or two I know but time to lift, fella.
I figure Knights is making the point that even though he came in as a star recruit (shows how shit our team is/was) he still has to earn his place in the side.

Either that or Knights has realised there isn't really a spot for him in the team with Gumbleton and Hurley both in the forward line.
Can't criticise Knights too much for that approach, whichever it is really ... what I mean more though is that why isn't Williams ripping it up in the ressies?
He has a touch of the Jay Neagles about him.....sits back and waits for someone to plonk the ball in his lap rather than get the fracking thing himself. Needs to be a bit more hungrier for the contested ball IMO.
Essendunny
Gnome Chomsky
Top Up Player

Re: The Team v Tigers

Post by Gnome Chomsky »

While Willo has some great attributes - elite kick, good over head and smart on the lead he also has some attributes which limit his worth. He is a one position player (career suicide unless a key position player), he doesn’t provide enough defensive pressure and he fails to push up and be the extra midfielder when needed.

Personally I was happy when we got him however with a little bit of reflection and watching him more closely I think this was a bad trade. Even if does decides to move with the time and gets his fitness base up and contributes more than just as a small lead up forward I think a 16 draft pick is too big a risk for a player who needs to make significant changes to his game to remain competitive in the era of almost whole team midfield rotations and full ground zones. I wonder if Knighta is having similar thoughts...
States are not moral agents, people are, and can impose moral standards on powerful institutions - Noam Chomsky