Good and Bad

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Good and Bad

Post by paddyl90 »

Good:

- Myers showing some promising signs
- Hille getting back to pre knee op form
- Melksham is great...tough as nails the little man. Will get better
- Dempsey was great in defence
- Fletcher...enough said. What a man!
-Umps - we got a dream ride tonight got all 50/50. Even we were surprised in members

Bad:

- Set shots for goal. From 7.1 to finish 19.17 or whatever it was... 12,16....should have been more.
- Primsall - is it just me or does he need a spell? Was okay in the last quarter and in some patches throughout the game but I don't know. Not doing too great IMO.
- Winderlich - had a shocker
- Pears - not right IMO. Shouldn't have come in. Riewoldt toweled him up..looked out of place in contests and missed the ball when trying to spoil. Oh well he'll keep getting better each game back.

Add your own but that's all I cant think of at the moment.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Good and Bad

Post by BenDoolan »

Good:
- Leroy Jetta. Was a basket case the last couple of seasons.....very soft above the shoulders. Saw him for Bendigo 3 weeks ago and played an excellent game with a tiny bit of agro. Was bloody terrific tonight. If he gets his head right (as in head strong), he'll be a top footballer. I wish he would get a bit more selfish in front of goal.

- David Hille. He's a massive unit. When he's on song, we'll be hard to beat. Strong hands, hard running, good leading, and kicks goals. Hard man to stop.

- Jake Melksham. "He's got it". Just seeing him read the play, make the play, and without panic is great to see. Big, big future ahead of him.

- David Myers. Went in hard tonight and won the footy. Don't like him in the defensive fifty though. One step foward tonight. Well done.

- Paddy Ryder. Smooth as silk. Some of his tap work was outstanding. Very dangerous up forward, and very good around the ground. The Ryder / Hille combo can be on of the most potent rucks in the comp - they both kick goals.

Bad:

- The tendancy to play Gumby like a wingman. f*** it off.

- The insipid set shots for goal. WTF is with that?

- The old "handpass to a nest of opposition players" trick keeps rearing its ugly ******* head.
Essendunny
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

I wish the problem were as simple as Gumby being played up the ground. Seems to be more of a total team structure issue.
When the opposition have the ball we push back hard as per the tendency with all teams these days...and if it works, ok fine.
But we're not adjusting and giving ourselves space once we've won the ball back. We'll take a defensive mark just outside the oppositions 50 or deep on the wing, and we'll be stuck with 6 in defense, about 6 through the middle of the ground and 6 on the wing...mostly standing still because there's no space to move...because we've filled the space with our own bodies!
I'm no football strategic genius and I've never even played...but ffs surely we need to get guys pushing back to inside our own 50 and one or two guys from the goal square. Would create SO much more space to lead and run into.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Apart from kicking for goal Licha was great imo
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

Prismall wasnt exactly a match winner like Hille but if he averaged 27 touches and 11 marks as he did last night id be very very happy.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

nathanskinner wrote:Prismall wasnt exactly a match winner like Hille but if he averaged 27 touches and 11 marks as he did last night id be very very happy.
Agree with that... Think he has a lot of work to do but he was far from bad tonight
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

bomberdonnie wrote:Apart from kicking for goal Licha was great imo
Agree.
I thought Winder and Prismall both had great games tonight.

Maybe the umps felt bad for that disgusting decision before the first bounce. He should be demoted for that. Absolutely pathetic.
They seemed pretty good to us after that (apart from the Hurley 'throw')
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

i don't think gumby playing up the field at times is a problem at all. he is mobile, fairly athletic, takes a great grab. I am pretty sure before he was drafted he played CHB and CHF.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

bomberdonnie wrote:Apart from kicking for goal Licha was great imo
I agree... if Licha had have nailed those goals everyone would be saying what a great game he had. I think its a confidence thing with Licha at the moment. Got a heap of the footy and ran hard but just didint finish off the goals.

I dont think there were that many down sides to last night apart from the insipid goal kicking (the margin should have been closer to 10 goals rather than just 6).

I agree that Pears looked underdone but he got some valuable match practise last night.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I didn't think Winderlich was great, seemed to f*** it up or do nothing when I noticed him, but he had 9 first possessions and 8 clearances.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

bomberdonnie wrote:
nathanskinner wrote:Prismall wasnt exactly a match winner like Hille but if he averaged 27 touches and 11 marks as he did last night id be very very happy.
Agree with that... Think he has a lot of work to do but he was far from bad tonight
Prismall got a heap of the footy but did absolutely f*ck all with it. Butchered the ball all night.
Even his five inside 50s were sh*t - most of them fell short of the man he was kicking to. Kick THROUGH the ball!
Having said that I do think he's a good player ... just seems out of sorts at the moment.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

BenDoolan wrote:Leroy Jetta. I wish he would get a bit more selfish in front of goal.
Yep. The better small forwards in the comp are more likely to be accused of hogging the ball rather than continually dishing it off. Jetta needs to do a bit more hogging in front of goal if he gets it within 40m.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I totally disagree with the assessment of Winderlich's game. He was doing a lot of crucial power running through the corridor. They were all shitehouse in the goal kicking department so I wouldnt single him out there. I thought he was pretty good.

Good

Hille
Jetta
Davey
Prismall 4th qtr - a marked improvement
Melksham - the more I see him the more I see signs of potential greatness

Bad

Prismall in qtrs 1,2,3 in terms of insipid disposal and putting body on the line
Not taking gettable shots within 40 m radius and trying to be too unselfish ending up in missed opportunities
Gumby has an ordinary night but is excused
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

MH_Bomber wrote:I totally disagree with the assessment of Winderlich's game. He was doing a lot of crucial power running through the corridor. They were all shitehouse in the goal kicking department so I wouldnt single him out there. I thought he was pretty good.

Agree, though it is getting very frustrating. He does have the ability to be in the elite of the competition if he could just cut the errors down by half.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Good:

-Hille is so dangerous when playing well, hopefully we continue to rest him forward more often.
-Hurley had 21 possessions, I can't remember him ever having that many before.
-Jetta seems to be a different player with the pressure he is putting on the opposition and he is getting alot more of the ball.

Bad:

-Not winning by a bigger margin. We had the chance to increase our small percentage and didn't.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I walked out of the "G" feeling really flat which is unusual after a 6 goal win. I guess after all the bad things we have had to experience over the last how many seasons, and a seven goal start, I really wanted the boys to grind Richmond into the dirt. I was looking for a 10 goal thumping and a good percentage booster and we ended up maintainng roughly the same lead we generated in the first quarter.

Our kicking for goal was as bad as I have seen and I think that this was the key ingredient into me feeling so flat. What's the point in busting your arse to get the ball into the forward line when we see deliberate shots from 35m miss by miles. It's pointless lining up culprits an there were so many but after having been spoilt with the high conversion rates of Lloyd, Lucas, Bewick, Hird, Cara etc. it breaks my heart to see so many wasted opportunities.

We will not be given the same luxury against the Bullies.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

rockhole wrote:I walked out of the "G" feeling really flat which is unusual after a 6 goal win. I guess after all the bad things we have had to experience over the last how many seasons, and a seven goal start, I really wanted the boys to grind Richmond into the dirt. I was looking for a 10 goal thumping and a good percentage booster and we ended up maintainng roughly the same lead we generated in the first quarter.

Our kicking for goal was as bad as I have seen and I think that this was the key ingredient into me feeling so flat. What's the point in busting your arse to get the ball into the forward line when we see deliberate shots from 35m miss by miles. It's pointless lining up culprits an there were so many but after having been spoilt with the high conversion rates of Lloyd, Lucas, Bewick, Hird, Cara etc. it breaks my heart to see so many wasted opportunities.

We will not be given the same luxury against the Bullies.

Was REALLY disappointed with the margin - should have won by 60+ - Was very annoyed we let them match us after 1st qtr
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

JumboPaddy wrote:Good:

- Myers showing some promising signs
- Hille getting back to pre knee op form
- Melksham is great...tough as nails the little man. Will get better
- Dempsey was great in defence
- Fletcher...enough said. What a man!
-Umps - we got a dream ride tonight got all 50/50. Even we were surprised in members

Bad:

- Set shots for goal. From 7.1 to finish 19.17 or whatever it was... 12,16....should have been more.
- Primsall - is it just me or does he need a spell? Was okay in the last quarter and in some patches throughout the game but I don't know. Not doing too great IMO.
- Winderlich - had a shocker
- Pears - not right IMO. Shouldn't have come in. Riewoldt toweled him up..looked out of place in contests and missed the ball when trying to spoil. Oh well he'll keep getting better each game back.

Add your own but that's all I cant think of at the moment.
I tend to agree...as for pris, my problem with him is those f****** stupid little dink kicks he does...what the f*** is with those??? He did about 4 times last night and each time turned the ball over (or would have if it wasn't Richmond...)
As for Pears, coming back from a broken arm, I thought he was a tad underdone which is to be expected. That said, Riewoldt is one to watch for the future.
The other disappointing thing is that we should have gone for the jugular. When they moved Cuz and Deledio into the middle late in the first term early second term, it seemed that noone from EFC wanted to play on them...they just got the ball and moved it out nicely...