Game Plan 2

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Game Plan 2

Post by MH_Bomber »

We have spoken a lot of the game plan Knights has implemented but did we see a good variation last night by going round the flanks and centering only after the ball got well past the half forward flank ?

It seems we did that to counter the Dogs game plan and avoid Lake setting up the play up the guts. By doing this we left ourselves far less open to counterattack on the turnover (of which there were few mind).

It great to see that the coach was able to plan specifically to counteract the opposition and the players execute that plan almost to the letter.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Game Plan 2

Post by BenDoolan »

Yes, that was an interesting variation - and a good one. I wasn't aware, but someone told me last night prior to the game that Lake had 41 disposals last week. 41 F****** disposals!
Essendunny
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Part of the plan seemed to be to have Hurley play on Lake and play virtually as a defender/stopper/decoy.

I reckon Hurley did a good job overall and this probably helped Gumby get the chances he got too.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Hocking's stoppage work on Gia whilst getting plenty of it himself was fantastic. We need another quality tagger and so far this season, when asked to do so, he's done the job... Bad for my Dreamteam but...

:-k
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

The game started like the scum game with a man-on-man set up. That allowed us to pressure them into mistakes and to break into space when we had possession.
It's one of the reasons why we're a chance against the better teams. Not saying the scum are a better team, it's just that they thought they were and tried to take us on with their game style, whereas the crap teams just clog up our forward line and then counter.

You'll hear in the media how the Dogs played poor uncharacteristic footy (just like when Ratten said how poor the scum played against us), but it was our pressure that made them play that way.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

In terms of Game Plans, we have to have a rethink on playing out the last 5 minutes of each quarter.

When I see the arm go up with the clenched fist I immediately see the potential for at least 2 major turnovers resulting in goals. It is acknowledged that our greatest weapon and therefore advantage at the moment is our speed and resultant tackling. Once we go defensive, this edge is lost as we are no longer running with the ball but sitting back on our haunches waiting for the sideways pass to open up and invariably putting ourseleves under pressure.

Had it not been for the magnificent play conducted in the 3rd quarter which gave us a 6 goal buffer, we could have been rolled by the Doggies charge late in the last. I would not even like to contemplate the backlash that that might have brought on!!

Keeping possession and the end of each quarter is important but do we need to stop dead to achieve it. All we seem to do is increase the number of possessions per play thus increasing the risk of a turnover.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

rockhole wrote:In terms of Game Plans, we have to have a rethink on playing out the last 5 minutes of each quarter.

When I see the arm go up with the clenched fist I immediately see the potential for at least 2 major turnovers resulting in goals. It is acknowledged that our greatest weapon and therefore advantage at the moment is our speed and resultant tackling. Once we go defensive, this edge is lost as we are no longer running with the ball but sitting back on our haunches waiting for the sideways pass to open up and invariably putting ourseleves under pressure.

Had it not been for the magnificent play conducted in the 3rd quarter which gave us a 6 goal buffer, we could have been rolled by the Doggies charge late in the last. I would not even like to contemplate the backlash that that might have brought on!!

Keeping possession and the end of each quarter is important but do we need to stop dead to achieve it. All we seem to do is increase the number of possessions per play thus increasing the risk of a turnover.
Totally agree Rocky. I squirm when the arm goes up. I'm sure we'll get better at it as the kids develop. I suppose if Gus and Zak(?) had have nailed those easy goals late in the game, it probably wouldn't have been an issue...
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Yes the clench fist is a signal to me that there is a great deal of opportunity for an wanted and undeserved goal from the opposition. Do it for the last minute maybe but they have been going into shutdown mode with 3 minutes to go and it has resulted in late goals.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ah, I commented on this in another thread Rocky...
Essendunny