Stanton

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Stanton

Post by BenDoolan »

j-mac31 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:LOL, that "pass to Lake" is more about our stupid forwards running to the wings and not being where they should be when we are running forward.

I've said it before and I will continue to say it, we look absolutely idiotic when we have a vacant forward line and we have control of the footy.
True, but if there's no one there, at least kick it out to the boundary line than straight to the guy who had 41 possessions last week.
Nah, I want any player who has the pill to go directly where our blokes should be. If it is swept up by the opposotion then so be it. I am getting tired of this shit, and if the opposition continue to take the ball away with no pressure, the coach will have to change this stupid set up / non set up.
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:LOL, that "pass to Lake" is more about our stupid forwards running to the wings and not being where they should be when we are running forward.

I've said it before and I will continue to say it, we look absolutely idiotic when we have a vacant forward line and we have control of the footy.
True, but if there's no one there, at least kick it out to the boundary line than straight to the guy who had 41 possessions last week.
Nah, I want any player who has the pill to go directly where our blokes should be. If it is swept up by the opposotion then so be it. I am getting tired of this shit, and if the opposition continue to take the ball away with no pressure, the coach will have to change this stupid set up / non set up.
I can't agree.

Sure, we should have had at least one player in the 50. But there clearly wasn't, so don't kick it straight to the opposition. If they have to pick it up off the ground it at least gives us a chance to get it back, especially the way Davey and Jetta are going.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He had a horrible first half but turned it around in the 2nd half, he wasn't best on ground though. I know SEN, the Herald Sun and the ABC gave him best on ground but that is more because alot of the media look at the possesions column way too often.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

j-mac31 wrote: I can't agree.

Sure, we should have had at least one player in the 50. But there clearly wasn't, so don't kick it straight to the opposition. If they have to pick it up off the ground it at least gives us a chance to get it back, especially the way Davey and Jetta are going.
Well, I wasn't cursing Stanton for that kick. I would imagine that it would annoy any ******* footballer who wins the ball under pressure in the centre of the ground to find absolutely no target up forward. If I was out there I would kick the living shit out of the ball and just look at the coaches box and say WTF are you doing? I know I would never play another game, but I wouldn't give a shit if that is the cuntox idea of a "structure".

And just on Scott Gumbleton for a second. I watched with great amusement at his areobic ability to run like a gazelle up to the wings and beyond (leaving his CHF post behind). What I couldn't believe was his constant leading to position for the half back to kick to him, but was constantly ignored! At one point he made 4 separate leads to the one player but never received the ball. He came off not long after - blowing like a hurricane as he just ran a marathon without touching the ball. Perplexing stuff.

So the question I ask is, why are we using Gumbleton as a run-around CHF when we don't actually use him at any stage up the field? All it creates is a hole at CHF when the other option has the ball running forward.

This part of our game has got me completely farked.

If they want to utilise Scott Gumbleton's aerobic capacity up the field, then play him on the wing FROM the wing.
Essendunny
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

robrulz5 wrote:He had a horrible first half but turned it around in the 2nd half, he wasn't best on ground though. I know SEN, the Herald Sun and the ABC gave him best on ground but that is more because alot of the media look at the possesions column way too often.
Who was best on ground then??
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Gimps wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:He had a horrible first half but turned it around in the 2nd half, he wasn't best on ground though. I know SEN, the Herald Sun and the ABC gave him best on ground but that is more because alot of the media look at the possesions column way too often.
Dempsey, Hocking or maybe Jetta up forward.

The game was won off our half back line, and dempsey's work there was pretty much spotless.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I don't think there is any way someone could pick a player to be best on ground last night.. No players stood out above the rest, there were a lot of good players, but none that really blitz it more than anyone else... Wouldn't rate Jetta as best on ground.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Gimps wrote:I don't think there is any way someone could pick a player to be best on ground last night.. No players stood out above the rest, there were a lot of good players, but none that really blitz it more than anyone else... Wouldn't rate Jetta as best on ground.
A good dilemma to have me thinks...

:-k
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Another player that drops the ball with both hands rather than guide the ball onto the boot with at least one hand. We seemed to have cornered the market with guys having a similar kicking style. (Gumby, Hurley, Stanton, Hille come to mind)
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

This.

I didnt even have him in our best 5, his first half was soooooooo bad. Jetta was my best on ground, but it could have gone to any of him, Ryder, Hocking, Dempsey, Watson, Winderlich.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Gimps wrote:
I gave it to Jetta. 25 possessions, 10 tackles and 2 goals. There were 3 or 4 others who were very close.
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

andrewb wrote:Stats were good I agree and I've always been a big fan of Stanton. But he HAS to stamp out these elements if he's going to be useful in finals. The last two grand finals have been crunching affairs where players have had to earn every possession under intense pressure.. Stanton is too soft for that sort of environment.

Dal Santo used to be a similar player (albeit with better skills), but Lyon sent him to the twos because he had similar issues to Brent and he came out on the other side 200% the player he was. Personally I'd prefer Stants to get 20 hard won possessions and impose himself on the game than get 30+ and have little or no effect on the outcome.

Wholeheartedly agree...quality not quantity...Stanton has "Grand-Final-2012-3rd-quarter-brain-melt-cost-them-the-game" written all over him...
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Old mate wrote:
andrewb wrote:Stats were good I agree and I've always been a big fan of Stanton. But he HAS to stamp out these elements if he's going to be useful in finals. The last two grand finals have been crunching affairs where players have had to earn every possession under intense pressure.. Stanton is too soft for that sort of environment.

Dal Santo used to be a similar player (albeit with better skills), but Lyon sent him to the twos because he had similar issues to Brent and he came out on the other side 200% the player he was. Personally I'd prefer Stants to get 20 hard won possessions and impose himself on the game than get 30+ and have little or no effect on the outcome.

Wholeheartedly agree...quality not quantity...Stanton has "Grand-Final-2012-3rd-quarter-brain-melt-cost-them-the-game" written all over him...
Do you knw what odds we are paying for this Grand Fiinal, I might get in an early wager :wink: