Yes we had excuses....but,

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Yes we had excuses....but,

Post by robbie67 »

Since Hird retired, we really do lack that bit of class that can win us a game like that one. Goodes and Jarrod McVeigh won some really big moments, and we just dont seem to have someone that can do that regularly. Hopefully someone will step up soon. They will have to for us to take the next step.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Re: Yes we had excuses....but,

Post by Doctor Fish »

Pffft.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

robbie67 wrote:Since Hird retired, we really do lack that bit of class that can win us a game like that one. Goodes and Jarrod McVeigh won some really big moments, and we just dont seem to have someone that can do that regularly. Hopefully someone will step up soon. They will have to for us to take the next step.
I agree on McVeigh, he played a blinder.. His brother wasn't bad either...

But Goodes.. he got absolutely towelled by Hocking today.. And the goal he kicked at the end, was only because he was cherry picking out the back.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Gimps wrote:
robbie67 wrote:Since Hird retired, we really do lack that bit of class that can win us a game like that one. Goodes and Jarrod McVeigh won some really big moments, and we just dont seem to have someone that can do that regularly. Hopefully someone will step up soon. They will have to for us to take the next step.

But Goodes.. he got absolutely towelled by Hocking today.. And the goal he kicked at the end, was only because he was cherry picking out the back.
Hey Gimps. Fudepackers...
:mrgreen:
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Totally agree. In time I think Melksham can be this player.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Gimps wrote:

I agree that overall Hocking towelled him, Hocking was our best today, but at crucial moments in the game Goodes delivered. It was smart to cherry pick out the back in those conditons. He gets rubbished in here a lot Goodes, and no, he is not the greatest multiple Brownlow winner, but he is a very good footballer.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Im sure our next Jimmy Hird isnt far away.....
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Bit harsh Robbie re excuses:

3 impact players injured during the game and 5 walkups into our starting 22 unavailable (Fletch, Stanton, Hooker, Dyson, Riemers) - not a shabby excuse.

Fact is - we went in lacking one tall in the forward line (Damm - Fletch!!!). And we clearly still lack a second in-and-under midfielder to assist Watson at the stoppages.

That being said - in the modern game with rotations, zones and "forward pressure" - I suspect the individual 4th quarter "gamewinner" may no longer exist (Hirdy didn't have to play under these conditions).

However - "class" (read good decision making, good disposal and ability to get the pill) - Melksham, Hurley, Hooker, Zacha and perhaps Howlett have early signs ... but are only 1st or 2nd year players - lets get a few more games into them first. Myers and Gumby (when they get some bulk on) will also only improve.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

It's Rigga time@...
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

sti dreams wrote:
Bit harsh Robbie re excuses:

3 impact players injured during the game and 5 walkups into our starting 22 unavailable (Fletch, Stanton, Hooker, Dyson, Riemers) - not a shabby excuse.

Fact is - we went in lacking one tall in the forward line (Damm - Fletch!!!). And we clearly still lack a second in-and-under midfielder to assist Watson at the stoppages.

That being said - in the modern game with rotations, zones and "forward pressure" - I suspect the individual 4th quarter "gamewinner" may no longer exist (Hirdy didn't have to play under these conditions).

However - "class" (read good decision making, good disposal and ability to get the pill) - Melksham, Hurley, Hooker, Zacha and perhaps Howlett have early signs ... but are only 1st or 2nd year players - lets get a few more games into them first. Myers and Gumby (when they get some bulk on) will also only improve.

Cheers - STI
Didnt say the excuses were shabby, and yes we had a lot of them. After all of that the game was still there to be won. I am not talking about the 4th quarter exclusively, i am talking about big moments in close games, that great players thrive in. I agree with you, that hopefully that player is already in the team, and only in his first couple of seasons.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

we lost the game in the middle. not so much a match winner, but consistent effort. i'm getting a bit sick of our working class midfield, we need a genuine GUN in there.

good news is our forward line with Jetta, Davey, Gumbleton is really functioning well.

I have a feeling Gumbleton could tear apart a game in the near future. he will be pretty much be unbeatable in the air.

For them Goodes has class, but I reckon he is on the way out. was only average(by his standards) yesterday, and has gone missing for the swans in the last month of football.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Did the better team on the day win or lose?

Reading the news reports I get the impression that depite the umpiring calls and injuries, the Swans were marginally the better team and had the class to win the game when it mattered. Thats ok, we are heading in the right direction and before too long we will have those class players that will instinctively know how to ice a game
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Robbie is spot on, but it is not just Hird (we may not see his like again for a long time) Lloyd and Lucas were also able to influence games when it was required. We have lost a massive amount of experience and it has cost us not only 2 close games but also allowed other teams to get back into the game when we should have put them away.

We lack leadership, Wato is doing a phenomenal job but the reality is we need other guys to step up and be counted. This is the next step in our development.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Im sure our next Jimmy Hird isnt far away.....
Yeah I agree Mrs M...I heard he is coming out of retirement... :lol:
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Boak. :mrgreen:
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Crazyman wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:Im sure our next Jimmy Hird isnt far away.....
Yeah I agree Mrs M...I heard he is coming out of retirement... :lol:
haha if only!!!! How far away is Thomas Hird to playing AFL i wonder! :wink:
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

One thing that is in our favour now is that we are now seen as an exciting club with a lot of potential, in the past we have failed to land the big fish because other clubs were perceived as being closer to a flag than us. This year we will have a real chance at landing any quality player that is out of contract.