How long...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Re: How long...

Post by Gimps »

little_ripper wrote:
gringo wrote:There's thousands of reasons. Not playing Reimers, never playing a loose man in defence, pushing Lloyd out at the end of last season, a reluctance to tag gun players, odd team selections (even in the final against Adelaide), an attack at all costs mentality...need I go on? It seems for the last 5 years or so we've always had one eye on tomorrow. It devalues each game we play in. I don't get anywhere near as excited watching Essendon play as I did ten years ago. Granted we were a far superior team then but I think the reason is that each game is played with a view to challenging for a flag in future years. I'm sick of it.

Er, they've played Reimers when hes been up and ready(and hes done reasonably well).
Lloyd wasn't pushed, in fact he was offered a 1 year contract and declined it.
We've tagged good players, last round it was Hodge. If anything we've played with one too many taggers in the side.
Heck aren't we number 1 in the comp for tackles?

Cast your mind back further than out last premiership side. I don't remember 94-98 being anything special.

This time round we have arguably some of the finest young key position talent coming through in Gumbleton, Hurley and Pears.

The club really faaaarked its drafting between 01 and 04/05 and it takes a while to replace 5 years of questionable decisions.

This is a very young side(experience and age), young teams are up and down.
LR - is your real name Matthew Knights, or Filthy? Seeing some parellels here :wink:
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

sti dreams wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:Just because the coach was a tough player, it doesn't mean his team will be the same. Sheedy was a hard player but in our last few years, we were soft as butter.
Paul Roos was an outside HBF but his team are tough as nails. Worsfold team is softand for a while, so was Harvey's.
Agree ... my comments weren't about how Scott and HArdwick translated their on-field attitude to coaching ... but how they go about their coaching.

Would love to see more mongrel about knights this year ... especially as last year he stared down some players who were faves.

cheers - sti
Amen.

Also, based on his press conferences, Knights is a wanker.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

North with a more experienced list has won 2 more games. Their average losing margin is TEN GOALS ours is 5.
The only teams they have beaten above them? Hawthorn and Carlton, hang on we've done that too. Richmond with a slightly less experienced list has won 2 less games. Four of our five wins have been against teams in the 8. 10 of our 13 games have been against teams in the 8. I'm not sure how people can be upset with where we are.

We had a massive form slump at the start of the year and have fought back well. Our next four games are against what should be equivalent opposition. That will show us where we are.

Knighter took us to the finals last year, he made tough decisions for the development of our list. He has never shirked the responsibility of developing the team by going for short term goals.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Sismis wrote:North with a more experienced list has won 2 more games. Their average losing margin is TEN GOALS ours is 5.
The only teams they have beaten above them? Hawthorn and Carlton, hang on we've done that too. Richmond with a slightly less experienced list has won 2 less games. Four of our five wins have been against teams in the 8. 10 of our 13 games have been against teams in the 8. I'm not sure how people can be upset with where we are.

We had a massive form slump at the start of the year and have fought back well. Our next four games are against what should be equivalent opposition. That will show us where we are.

Knighter took us to the finals last year, he made tough decisions for the development of our list. He has never shirked the responsibility of developing the team by going for short term goals.
You know North will probably beat us.

5-8 is upsetting no matter how you look at it. Although I am sure a Richmond supporter would be over the moon with it. :wink:
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I dissagree, 5 and 8 is an excellent result for this point in our development. The difference between 5 and 8 and 8 and five is about 4 goals!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Sismis wrote:I dissagree, 5 and 8 is an excellent result for this point in our development. The difference between 5 and 8 and 8 and five is about 4 goals!
Or about another 25 games per player. Lets not forget that this team is being carried by a forward line with about 25 games between them (Hurley and Gumbleton) and a defence with about the same experience (Hooker and Pears) - so far, these guys have done enough to suggest that with 50+ games each, they will start to play consistently good football (and who's to say they arent already)
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Sismis wrote:I dissagree, 5 and 8 is an excellent result for this point in our development. The difference between 5 and 8 and 8 and five is about 4 goals!
Based on what? What have we improved on this year compared to last?
Interstate travel? No
Better midfield? No
Support for Watson? No
Speed? No
Skill? No
Better small defenders? No
Center clearances? No

Face it, we are looking no better than Richmond at the moment, we have one decent midfielder, two decent defenders and couple of forwards with potential, not much after that.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

The five year plan going beautifully.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Rover 7 wrote:The five year plan going beautifully.
that plan has already failed, we are just coasting now until something BIG changes at the club
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

swoodley wrote:Actually, Gringo stated quite clearly that we were a big chance for the spoon this year (copied to my sig at the time)
This is soon to become a reality, with some bottom 8 teams still to play, we are in a lot of trouble.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

bpdons wrote:
swoodley wrote:Actually, Gringo stated quite clearly that we were a big chance for the spoon this year (copied to my sig at the time)
This is soon to become a reality, with some bottom 8 teams still to play, we are in a lot of trouble.
We are still two games ahead of the eagles and we play them at Etihad where we should win....we will not win the spoon this year!
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

Swoodley, the eagles would go in favourites next week based on the shit we have been displaying of late.

Can't see us turning it around. Decade over.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

bpdons wrote:Swoodley, the eagles would go in favourites next week based on the shit we have been displaying of late.

Can't see us turning it around. Decade over.
we play Melb next week, be lucky to win that also
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

bpdons wrote:Swoodley, the eagles would go in favourites next week based on the shit we have been displaying of late.
Melbourne then West coast
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Sismis wrote:You're right we should pull a premiership team out of..... thin air.

I think Knighter is on the right track, we are showing improvement in almost every area.

Considering you thought we were a bottom four team, surely we are achieving far above your expectstions?
You might want to rethink this Sismis. Even someone as optomistic as you must be able to see the shocking truth now.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Rover 7 wrote:The five year plan going beautifully.
f*** the five year plan
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

This five year plan crap has got to be tossed out the window. Let's have a plan for next week's game instead. There's a thought.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Rossoneri wrote:
Based on what? What have we improved on this year compared to last?
Interstate travel? No
Better midfield? No
Support for Watson? No
Speed? No
Skill? No
Better small defenders? No
Center clearances? No

Face it, we are looking no better than Richmond at the moment, we have one decent midfielder, two decent defenders and couple of forwards with potential, not much after that.
We lost a lot of experience last year and are still (most weeks) a competitive unit.

Interstate travel? No
Better midfield? No
Support for Watson? No
Speed? yes Davey, Jetta, Dempsay have all improved which adds enormous pace to our team
Skill? Yes We have shown on many occasions improvement in our skills. Of course we have also had weeks where we look to have gone backwards. More experience will equal more consistancy.
Better small defenders? Our defence is excellent, we have less marks taken against us than any other club.
Center clearances? No

We have a big area that requires improvement in the middle. This is not new, even with this major deficiency the imporvemnt in other areas has meant we are moving forward.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Sismis wrote:Speed? yes Davey, Jetta, Dempsay have all improved which adds enormous pace to our team
Oh great. Two inconsistent small forwards and a backman who isn't getting a game at the moment. Our midfield is slow. If we got Colyer and Atkinson in and gave Dempsey the odd run on the wing, then maybe we're starting to look a quick side.
Sismis wrote:Skill? Yes We have shown on many occasions improvement in our skills. Of course we have also had weeks where we look to have gone backwards. More experience will equal more consistancy.
So which is our real kill then? The good or the shit? Can't tell.
Sismis wrote:Better small defenders? Our defence is excellent, we have less marks taken against us than any other club.
Irrelevant. Small forwards do not have to rely on marks to dominate a game.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

We also have a major issue with confidence. This effects our skill level imensly. Once again something that will only be cured by confidence.