Knightmare Continues

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Knightmare Continues

Post by BenDoolan »

Since the end of 2001, we have played 43 interstate matches for 7 wins and 36 losses. Marvellous. Our average score in this time has been 11. 11 (77) to 17. 13 (115). Terrific.

Some beauties amongst this;

2004 v Port 8.14 (62) to 23.20 (158) 96 point loss
2005 v Adel 9.9 (63) to 24.7 (151) 88 point loss
2006 v Adel 6.14 (50) to 30.8 (188) 138 point loss
2007 v Freo 11.11 (77) to 21.14 (140) 63 point loss
2008 v SYD 7.10 (52) to 21.17 (143) 91 point loss
2009 v Fre 13.9 (87) to 21.15 (141) 54 point loss
2009 v Adel 10.10 (70) to 26.10 (166) 96 point loss
2010 v Adel 5.10 (40) to 19.10 (124) 84 point loss

It is interesting to note that while Freo have been generally shit for most of their existence, we have won only 2 of the 7 encounters interstate.

We just played a team who were 13th while we were sitting in 10th position. How does that equate to the result we saw last night? We have been ultra shit whenever we cross the border for a enormous period of time. Is there any clue as to the requirement of sport psychologists needed in this area, or do the coaching staff believe they are the guru's in extracting self belief and a will to win regardless of the surrounding environment?

It will only get worse with 2 more interstate clubs entering the competition in the next 2 years. If we don't address this obvious problem, we are going to be the laughing stock of the competition for many years to come. Our players are simply not mentally prepared for games interstate. They go out there and "freeze". They do not display any of the attitude or mental application that they do back at home - blind ******* freddie can see this.

I have had an absolute gutfull of these muppet like performances interstate and on national television. And to top it off, we see vision of our head coach and his assistants laughing while the horror unfolds on the field. That was the moment I wanted to rip their collective heads off.

Last night's development has lost me for the rest of the season. I want to see something occur at the end of the year that will turn the attitudes around in that place - starting from the coaching box.
Essendunny
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Re: Knightmare Continues

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Great post BD... it certainly is a worry that our boys simply can't win interstate. I think the best places we have performed are the 2 Sydney grounds... not good enough when they are going to have to travel to the Gold Coast and West Sydney over the coming years.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I cant understand it.

To me, it seems like they have to try something different.

Different travel plans (maybe go 2 days earlier and have a training session on the ground they are playing on), Do some community things with local Bomber fans (just to see how many people actually love them on the road) - use the time to build camaraderie amongst the team (as road trips inevitably do amongst groups of young men)

Different preparation - maybe have a light week on the track so that the mind and body is primed to go

Different Game plan - shpw some respect for the opposition - have a different game plan built around defensive pressure, counter attack, and then once on top, all out attack. Clearly our all out attack from the first siren is killing us if it doesnt work from the outset. It was interesting how quickly you could see heads drop once Adelaide got those cheap 50m goals (which brings me to discipline)

Different Attitude - our discipline was appaling yesterday - yep the umps were trigger happy but shouldnt that be the expectation? So play accordingly. And whats with these floating sky high, cross field passes to players surrounded by opponents - a disciplined player wouldnt take the chance to attempt such passes, especially when the ball is heavy and pin point passing almost an impossibility (for a low skilled side)

Different Coach - weird idea i know, but maybe on interstate trips, give the assistant coaches greater responsibility, just to break things up a little and get some fresh perspective amongst the players - why not try it

edit - one other thing, I used to laugh when these teams all went trudging off on their Kokoda Trail hikes but maybe this is what Essendon needds to do - just to get some mental toughness into the players when the go on the road, I am sure Clarkson must remind his team about how they suffered yet ultimately prevailed on their hike over the Kokokda when things get tough on road trips. Its a smple mental trick but at least the players will have that benchmark against which they can draw inspiration
Bomber_wiz
Top Up Player

Post by Bomber_wiz »

Lets just send the ressies on interstate trips.
Benefits -
No one gets reported or injured.
They cant play any worse than the seniors.
Senior team wins a game for the ressies in the VFL. (unless they have to play GC or GWS)
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Definitely something needs to be done about this.

You could sense even in the first 5 minutes they we were not tuned in AGAIN.

Instead of sitting on a comfortable plane (BTW, HTF does a ONE HOUR plane journey give you jetlag??!!),
maybe they should instead be made to crawl over the border on hands and knees (with Tuddy shouting at them the whole way).
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

I'm sorry but anyone who declares that a one hour flight to Adelaide or Sydney from Melbourne hurts a football clubs performance is an idiot. I'm not interested in the excuses anymore. If that flight was detrimental, then so is the drive from the players' homes to the MCG/Etihad every other week. It's absolute rubbish.

Shape up or ship out.

Interesting to note that 5 out of 8 of those games you listed, BD, were played in Adelaide with one other in Sydney. 6/8 only an hour or so away. Not good enough.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Boyler_Room wrote:I'm sorry but anyone who declares that a one hour flight to Adelaide or Sydney from Melbourne hurts a football clubs performance is an idiot. I'm not interested in the excuses anymore. If that flight was detrimental, then so is the drive from the players' homes to the MCG/Etihad every other week. It's absolute rubbish.

Shape up or ship out.

Interesting to note that 5 out of 8 of those games you listed, BD, were played in Adelaide with one other in Sydney. 6/8 only an hour or so away. Not good enough.
I don't think anyone has suggested that the "flight" is causing the woes, it's definitely a mental thing. Has nothing to do with travel and everything to do with "venue". They are mentally fragile when they play infront of interstate crowds. Simple as that.
Essendunny
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

BenDoolan wrote:They are mentally fragile. Simple as that.
Fixed.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

BenDoolan wrote:
Boyler_Room wrote:I'm sorry but anyone who declares that a one hour flight to Adelaide or Sydney from Melbourne hurts a football clubs performance is an idiot. I'm not interested in the excuses anymore. If that flight was detrimental, then so is the drive from the players' homes to the MCG/Etihad every other week. It's absolute rubbish.

Shape up or ship out.

I don't think anyone has suggested that the "flight" is causing the woes, it's definitely a mental thing. Has nothing to do with travel and everything to do with "venue". They are mentally fragile when they play infront of interstate crowds. Simple as that.
I'm not suggesting anyone in here has said the flight, etc was the problem. It's obvious that they go to water whenever they don't have a "home" crowd. It's pathetic. Interstate teams play away every second week. There's no excuse.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Interstingly, when we did score early on, there was a huge roar (at least thats how it sounded on the box) so there are clearly Bomber fans making the trip and based in Adelaide (and other venues)

I mentioned it above in an earlier response, but I honestly believe our guys have to go over 2-3 days earlier and actually go and meet their fans in these far flung cities. Have a supporter night, have an open training session with the old style Hawthorn BBQ. Make yourself familiar with the vibe of the place, the fact that there are many thousands of fans who are there to support you. Start to enjoy the experience of travelling as a group again rather than traveling with dread (which is clearly the case)

Yep, away wins are tougher - lets not pretend otherwise. But tougher should translate to a tougher showing from the team. At least go down with guns blazing - as opposed to the pathtic whimper that was yesterday's performance.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

BD - are you Rohan Connolly or is Rohan now stealing material from you? :lol:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... -zvss.html

I love the last sentence...

Seriously, harden up Bombers, or stop wasting everyone's time.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

tonysoprano wrote:BD - are you Rohan Connolly or is Rohan now stealing material from you? :lol:

Yep, and coming from a fan of the club, it comes with real meaning - toughen the Fricken Hell Up!!!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tonysoprano wrote:BD - are you Rohan Connolly or is Rohan now stealing material from you? :lol:

HA! He's blind Freddie :wink:

Good O....need more of this stuff in the papers. Hit them right between the eyeballs, and kick 'em in the nuts. As everyone can gather, I've completely lost my patience with everyone and everything EFC. I feared a smashing this weekend, but hoped it wouldn't occur. But it did, and I'm f****** sick and tired of the same old shit.

More articles please. Time to erode the crap "fluff" pieces that keeps getting churned out at the start of every season and start printing the f****** truth.
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

That to me would indicate that this is another problem Knights has inherited.

We got pumped interstate for years when we had the likes of Hird Lloyd and Lucas. How do you expect the current group with probably the most inexperienced line-up we have put on the park all year to turn it around?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:That to me would indicate that this is another problem Knights has inherited.

We got pumped interstate for years when we had the likes of Hird Lloyd and Lucas. How do you expect the current group with probably the most inexperienced line-up we have put on the park all year to turn it around?
By identifying it as an obvious problem and putting programs in place to address the issue. He's been there 3 years and has done nothing but send teams interstate like lambs to the slaughter. He must recognise the need to prepare his team mentally for these battles rather than sit in the box and giggle at the capitulation.
Essendunny