U.F.O's

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

U.F.O's

Post by BenDoolan »

Unidentified Footballing Objectives.

Watching and observing Richmond claw their way to victory today, I failed to identify a few tactical ploys they implemented in achieving their goal. For instance;

WTF is that thing you call a quick looooooooong kick deep into your forward line? It seems to unsettle the opposition's backline because they have no time to gather assistance in a contest - leaving them one out. In the games I go and watch live, invloving my team, I haven't seen such a ploy.

And what do you call that person who is a big, tallish focal point up in front of the big sticks? You know, the guy who seems to lead out and take a mark about 30 metres out from goal and then kicks one?

Wish I had a camera to capture these moments. I know no-one will believe me....
Essendunny
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Re: U.F.O's

Post by Boyler_Room »

BenDoolan wrote:Unidentified Footballing Objectives.

Watching and observing Richmond claw their way to victory today, I failed to identify a few tactical ploys they implemented in achieving their goal. For instance;

WTF is that thing you call a quick looooooooong kick deep into your forward line? It seems to unsettle the opposition's backline because they have no time to gather assistance in a contest - leaving them one out. In the games I go and watch live, invloving my team, I haven't seen such a ploy.

And what do you call that person who is a big, tallish focal point up in front of the big sticks? You know, the guy who seems to lead out and take a mark about 30 metres out from goal and then kicks one?

I saw that last night, too! Adelaide used it to some effect! Had me baffled.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

You tell such fibs..... how do you live with yourself?
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

When I read the heading, I thought for a moment you may be plotting a return of Sheeds and his Martians.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

What you say makes perfect sense BD & our game plan makes NO SENSE. Especially when most of the players lack the necessary skill to implement his idea of over possession football ( note Slattery (H) from a mark,last night kicking out of bounds to a player on his own).

Also there seems to be no plan B.

They seem to keep on doing the same old tactics & getting the same result ....... turnovers & zero forward advances.

We HAVE to kick it quick , loooooooong & deep into the forward line as most of our alleged forwards have trouble making the distance from 30 metres dead in front , so its no point piss farting around in the middle to try & get to a loose target on the 50 metre line. At best , our disposal accuracy is average so we have minimise the risk by kicking long to forward targets placed in the square.

The "coach" coming from a limited & unsuccessful finals background , ( i don't believe he has even participated in a grand final) would'nt realise this. The vast majority of successful coaches have played or been involved in premiership team , Thompson , Sheeds , Barassi, Reynolds , Matthews etc. & the thing that is common to their success is quick , long movement to the forwards. Makes perfect sense.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

And here's another thing, it was so plainly obvious that Adelaide would rebound from defence by using the centre corridor (the shortest route to goal), from the very outset. And what did we do to counteract this? We stood by and watched them waltz through the centre unimpeded all night. Yep, that's what I call "Pan B".
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Don't use logic or examples of success Ben, they have no place in an EFC discussion.
robbie67 wrote:When I read the heading, I thought for a moment you may be plotting a return of Sheeds and his Martians.
:D Me too. Great minds...
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

j-mac31 wrote:Don't use logic or examples of success Ben, they have no place in an EFC discussion.
robbie67 wrote:When I read the heading, I thought for a moment you may be plotting a return of Sheeds and his Martians.
:D Me too. Great minds...
HA!

At least Sheeds had ideas that were in this solar system...
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Methinks you need to alert Scully and Mulder and also Kolchak to get onto the case.

Tis a pity our coaches seem more fans of Twilight

STI
Last edited by s'dreams on Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

BenDoolan wrote:And here's another thing, it was so plainly obvious that Adelaide would rebound from defence by using the centre corridor (the shortest route to goal), from the very outset. And what did we do to counteract this? We stood by and watched them waltz through the centre unimpeded all night. Yep, that's what I call "Pan B".
This was possibly more painful than the pitiful disposal we were forced to endure.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

sti dreams wrote:Methinks you need to alert Scully and Mulder and also Kolchak to get onto the case.

STI
Ahhh.....loved those shows. Good ol' Carl Kolchak - The Night Stalker. The intrepid reporter who chased the supernatural (Craig Hutchison perhaps?). This show inspired the producers of the X-Files, which is no surprise that it captivated me.

Yes, the Twilight Zone - a good name for our "structures". Well done sti!

This brings back memories of shows from long ago. It has prompted me to think of a show that was narrated by Leonard Nimoy, "In Search Of". It would have a different theme every week "In Search Of - Myths & Monsters", "In Search Of - Lost Civilisations", "In Search Of - Amelia Earheart", "In Search Of - UFO's" etc. Perhaps we could have such a weekly show on the Essendon Website;

"In Search Of - a Forward Line"
"In Search Of - Consistency"
"In Search Of - Skills"
"In Search Of - Game Plans"
"In Search Of - Tactics"
"In Search Of - a Coach"
Essendunny
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

Where is this superscanner that penetrates skulls so thick?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

f*** me, if the Peanuts in the coaching box cant see the marking potential of Scotty Gumbleton - especially one on one in the Goal Square, then what chance do we have??? If you isloated Gumby in the forward 30 metres, I am quite sure he will outmark his opponent 8 times out of 10. Then have Davey and Jetta sniffing around for the crumbs on the odd occasion that the ball does come to ground. Fast delivery of the ball into the F50 is a must so adios to dinky hand balls and 15m suicide passes around the 50M arc, Slam it Long you Idiots!!!!. Surely, such a tactic aint gonna be any worse than what we currently have?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:f*** me, if the Peanuts in the coaching box cant see the marking potential of Scotty Gumbleton - especially one on one in the Goal Square, then what chance do we have??? If you isloated Gumby in the forward 30 metres, I am quite sure he will outmark his opponent 8 times out of 10. Then have Davey and Jetta sniffing around for the crumbs on the odd occasion that the ball does come to ground. Fast delivery of the ball into the F50 is a must so adios to dinky hand balls and 15m suicide passes around the 50M arc, Slam it Long you Idiots!!!!. Surely, such a tactic aint gonna be any worse than what we currently have?
Remember the days when we had another #3 in the goal square back in the mid 80's? Did we f*** around chipping it backwards and across the ground or did we plonk it long and deep to Salmon?
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:Remember the days when we had another #3 in the goal square back in the mid 80's? Did we f*** around chipping it backwards and across the ground or did we plonk it long and deep to Salmon?
And put him in the back pocket when he had 6 goals at half time. :lol:
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
doogle
Regular Senior Player

Post by doogle »

sti dreams wrote:

Methinks you need to alert Scully and Mulder and also Kolchak to get onto the case.

I wish we had Scully... and I hope he doesn't play well for the Tankers on Sunday.

STI