Finals 2007 - Whats needed?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

BenDoolan wrote:
gringo wrote:
bowzer wrote:also the midfield needs to be alot smarter about how they play there opponent, its all well and good if you can provide run and collect the ball all day but its no good if your opponent is raking up just as many posessions and setting up/scoring goals.
Spot on. In the first half of our second game against Hawthorn, the ease with which Hawthorn moved the ball through the midfield was disgraceful. Although when you have the likes of Watson, Johnson, Pevrill etc forming the nucleous of your midfield, I'm not sure what else you can expect.
Hahaha, I love it. Jobe Watson is going to be around for a while and you're going to sook and vomit every time you see him. At the pensioner age of 21 you obviously see that Watson cannot improve his kicking skills, well that isn't surprising when the club had no capacity to correct it. With the club finally getting some much needed resources in this area, we can hope to see some big improvements from all our kids. In any case, Watson's clearance work from the centre this year was better than most, but he does have to improve his disposal by foot. The hardest thing is getting the ball, and Watson seems to get it a fair bit.
2008 James Hird as Skills Coach!!!!
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

Western Red wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
gringo wrote:
bowzer wrote:also the midfield needs to be alot smarter about how they play there opponent, its all well and good if you can provide run and collect the ball all day but its no good if your opponent is raking up just as many posessions and setting up/scoring goals.
Spot on. In the first half of our second game against Hawthorn, the ease with which Hawthorn moved the ball through the midfield was disgraceful. Although when you have the likes of Watson, Johnson, Pevrill etc forming the nucleous of your midfield, I'm not sure what else you can expect.
Hahaha, I love it. Jobe Watson is going to be around for a while and you're going to sook and vomit every time you see him. At the pensioner age of 21 you obviously see that Watson cannot improve his kicking skills, well that isn't surprising when the club had no capacity to correct it. With the club finally getting some much needed resources in this area, we can hope to see some big improvements from all our kids. In any case, Watson's clearance work from the centre this year was better than most, but he does have to improve his disposal by foot. The hardest thing is getting the ball, and Watson seems to get it a fair bit.
2008 James Hird as Skills Coach!!!!
HIRD as skills coach!!! Hird is the most unorthodox player there is and he takes risks that no mere mortal could take. He gets away with it because he is a freak and like few other players can, he slaps a ball on the boot and it goes exactly where he wants. In fact maybe Fletcher should be his assistant?

I dont think Hird should be passing on any of his knowledge to the layman as it is likely to result our blokes doing over the head midair handpasses, one step lollypop kicks out of traffic and atempting to waltze their way through 4-5 opposition players. None of which could be executed by anyone but the great man himself.

Bring Mercs back as skills coach. He was one of the most skilled and balanced yet orthodox players I have ever seen.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

BenDoolan wrote:
gringo wrote:
Why Benny Dozzlage! With all this attention I'd almost think you're flirting with me.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to write such long and irrelevant posts, but it's a free world. Knock yourself out.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

gringo wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
gringo wrote:
Why Benny Dozzlage! With all this attention I'd almost think you're flirting with me.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to write such long and irrelevant posts, but it's a free world. Knock yourself out.
Nice relevant response, whatever it means.....