Where are EFC at in regard to finding a new coach?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Re: Where are EFC at in regard to finding a new coach?

Post by Gossy7 »

Doctor Fish wrote:
gringo wrote:For a club that rushed to sack Sheedy because it didn't want to be left behind in the race to find a new coach, we are certainly taking our time. Have we made any progress at all? Who are the candidates? Who is on the selection committee? What are our requirements?

It seems that the new coach is going to have a hell of a lot work to do during the off season, hence the sooner we appoint a new coach the better.

Can anyone tell me anything about the above?
I know the first thing anyone is going ask me is "Source?" But I've heard it's a done deal already. Mark Thompson. The source being someone very close to the man himself. Have checked back with him on a fortnightly basis and the name has stayed the same. Can't elaborate any more, but the longer nothing happens, the better.

:wink:
I too have a 'source' quite close to Thompson who seems to think the same thing. I find it very interesting you say that Doc. I hope its right mate.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:Bomber Thompson!! Gee I am sorry but what has Bomber done in 8 years coaching Geelong

If it was this time last year we'd all be screaming "NO WAY"

And to be frank, Geelong's list over the last 5 years has been markedly better than ours so what miracles do you expect Bomber to perform. I am a Daniher fan and think he'd be great for the club right at this point in time. He did extremely well with an average Melbourne list to get them to a Grand Final (Bomber hasnt done that yet) and to finals at regular intervals.

Our club needs a cool, calm head right now and there is none calmer than Neale Danihers.
Huh?

I love Neale Daniher. Would be very happy if he became coach. But I simply can't figure out why on one hand you have dismissed Bomber Thompson as "doing nothing" in 8 years as opposed to Neale Daniher "doing nothing" in 10 years.

Sure, if you asked the question last year you would say NO WAY, but we're asking the question this year.....is the answer still "NO WAY"? Not F****** likely.

Don't know if you've seen Neale Daniher in the box much this year, but he's done a super impersonation of Norman Bates in Psycho. None calmer? Shit, I can't remember an occasion in the last 8 years where I've seen Bomber Thompson lose his cool.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Windy_Hill wrote:Bomber Thompson!! Gee I am sorry but what has Bomber done in 8 years coaching Geelong

If it was this time last year we'd all be screaming "NO WAY"

And to be frank, Geelong's list over the last 5 years has been markedly better than ours so what miracles do you expect Bomber to perform. I am a Daniher fan and think he'd be great for the club right at this point in time. He did extremely well with an average Melbourne list to get them to a Grand Final (Bomber hasnt done that yet) and to finals at regular intervals.

Our club needs a cool, calm head right now and there is none calmer than Neale Danihers.
Everyone's got their favorites Windy and I can see your point. I'm hoping we get Bomber. He's built a list that is as solid all over the ground as any in the league. Shown he has patience and faith in his senior playing group with the Steve Johnson thing. Recruited well with kids like Selwood, Mackie, Egan etc. Got the players respect. Built a team that is odds-on favorites for a flag. Couldn't really ask more from a bloke IMO.

Just on Neale. When he annouced to his players that he'd been given the boot. It was only the older players that gave a hoot. The younger guys breathed a sigh of relief. And BD's right. Neale is anything but cool or calm.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

BenDoolan wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:Why would Bomber Thompson leave a club like Geelong, where he is a good chance of winning his first premiership as a coach and has one of the best lists in the afl to come to our club?? It just doesn't make sense to me. Personally i hope either Daniher or McKenna get the job.
That is my question. He is sitting on a goldmine of talent. But stranger things have happened in football.

BTW, you still have me wondering what is wrong with the colour of Ms Twigley's titties....
lol i had forgotten about that... it must have been a vein or something because they looked grey/green to me. why she can't find a dress that has actually been finished i don't know!! :P
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:Why would Bomber Thompson leave a club like Geelong, where he is a good chance of winning his first premiership as a coach and has one of the best lists in the afl to come to our club?? It just doesn't make sense to me. Personally i hope either Daniher or McKenna get the job.
That is my question. He is sitting on a goldmine of talent. But stranger things have happened in football.

BTW, you still have me wondering what is wrong with the colour of Ms Twigley's titties....
lol i had forgotten about that... it must have been a vein or something because they looked grey/green to me. why she can't find a dress that has actually been finished i don't know!! :P
After staring at them for the last 2 hours, I think I know what you mean! :lol:
tony coz
On the Rookie List

Post by tony coz »

Going on current form if your a Port Adelaide assistant coach your chances of getting a coaching appointment is very good.
Oh well now that Sheeds is going perhaps Derrick Kickett can apply :oops:
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Anyone who thinks we are going to get Bomber away from the cattery is dreaming!

Our new coach has to be young (i.e under 50) to enable 10 or so years to build a successful team.

He has to be experienced - (working as an assistant for an example).

It would be an advantage to have developed a C.V. away from Windy Hill.

He has to come from a culture of success and have displayed leadership.

He has to be as tough as nails and uncompromising - preferably a solid old fashioned back-man.

He needs to understand modern sports medicine, training techniques and he has to be committed to making his group of players as fit as any in the comp.

Bluey McKenna for mine.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

hop wrote:Anyone who thinks we are going to get Bomber away from the cattery is dreaming!

Our new coach has to be young (i.e under 50) to enable 10 or so years to build a successful team.

He has to be experienced - (working as an assistant for an example).

It would be an advantage to have developed a C.V. away from Windy Hill.

He has to come from a culture of success and have displayed leadership.

He has to be as tough as nails and uncompromising - preferably a solid old fashioned back-man.

He needs to understand modern sports medicine, training techniques and he has to be committed to making his group of players as fit as any in the comp.

Bluey McKenna for mine.
Bluey McKenna has had 3 interviews at 3 clubs and failed at every one of them. McKenna? No thanks....
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

Considering they had to announce Sheedy's sacking weeks ago, bc they had to get the process started...they have done f*** all!!
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

merc_2 wrote:Considering they had to announce Sheedy's sacking weeks ago, bc they had to get the process started...they have done f*** all!!
Just wondering Merc... How do you know who has done what in regard to getting a new coach??

For all we know they may have someone signed...
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

Chris Bond or Damien Hardwick for mine. Probably Bond is the preference, sounds very articulate and strong and doesn't have any link to the current playing group and would hopefully send a rocket up them. Not sure i could picture Bomber leaving Geelong now.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

Interesting to look back at this thread from 3 years ago !
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Yeah Thanks - really needed to be reminded of my stupidity.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ah, good ol' Essendon4Eva! Where are youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu???
Essendunny
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

off topic but great to see all the same posters are still hanging around
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals