And the courageous action taken by our board is......

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Re: And the courageous action taken by our board is......

Post by little_ripper »

Filthy wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/i ... 5890938713

Jackson reminds me of Bart..."It wasn't me" :shock: :roll:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/i ... 107wx.html

And the players are obviously not playing a game plan that no one understands and are playing much gusto, inspiration and verve all as a result of enlightened and electrifying leadership =D> :^o

It really SHITS me how they put the boot into David Myers in that second article. The guy has serious talent and just needs to be given a fair go in the seniors, playing in the midfield.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I'm not a big fan of Knights.

But anyone who thinks that replacing him is the answer to our current woes is simply delusional.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Staggy wrote:I'm not a big fan of Knights.

But anyone who thinks that replacing him is the answer to our current woes is simply delusional.
Do you think he still has the confidence of his players? What makes you think he is a good match day coach? Do you agree with his team selections? Does the current essendon side look well prepared come match day?

imo there are big questions around Knights. Its not the necessarily the win loss ratio, but rather how the side is conducting itself.

There is no way Essendon should be losing by 14 goals to Adelaide or down 8/9 goals in the final quarter to Melbourne. There is very little heart, conviction or football smarts around Essendon at the moment.
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

Staggy wrote:I'm not a big fan of Knights.

About half the supporter base didn't want Knights at the start.Nearly all the rest have joined them.
That alone should be enough.
It least in the 70's they replaced coaches quickly giving everyone a little renewed hope.
Hope and expectation is what footy thrives on.
Without it your stuffed.
That's where we are right now.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Spot on Staggy.

Most on this board woud prefer a return to Sheedy where we continually propped up our list to win a few meaningless games.

We are getting games into our young players. Currently it looks pretty bad but that is the growing pain we need to go through.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Sismis wrote:Spot on Staggy.

Most on this board woud prefer a return to Sheedy where we continually propped up our list to win a few meaningless games.

We are getting games into our young players. Currently it looks pretty bad but that is the growing pain we need to go through.

I dont want Sheedy back but I am pretty sure we are no better off after 3 years with Knights

23 wins from 60 games after telling the board we would be in the running within 3 years.

None of our players seem to be developing - in fact the longer they seem to play under Knights' tutelage, the worse they are becoming

Myers
Dempsey
Neagle
Jetta
Davey
Stanton
Winderlich

to name but a few who seem to be going backwards - even Hurley has looked half the player this year compared to his first, injury interupted season
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

That's bullshit. I'd say the majority view on this board is that we've appointed a snake oil salesman as coach that conned the board into believing we had a decent list.

IT'S THE LIST OF DEATH! IT WAS SHIT 3 YEARS AGO AND IT'S SHIT NOW.

What people wanted was a proper coach appointed and a clean out of the list 3 f****** YEARS AGO.

A new coach isn't going to held in the short term but it's absolutely crucial for the club going forwards, in many MANY ways.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Now, I'm convinced you really have lost it. No one on this board has been calling for that, and you know it. What everyone is up in arms about is the team is going no where, and this guy got the job by backing the blokes that are in it. Dont carry on like we dont know what we are ******* talking about. Some of us have been watching the club for forty years, and are perceptive enough to see that we are not improving.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Noone is saying that?

I must be imagining things:

http://bombertalk4.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9924
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Sismis wrote:Noone is saying that?

I must be imagining things:

http://bombertalk4.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9924
Sorry, did someone in that thread ask for Sheedy to come back?

I must be imagining things.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Very first post:
gringo wrote:...since we have gone into a game with every single decision prior to or during the game made with the sole aim of winning the game? I would argue at least five years. I'm sick of developing players, refining game plans etc. I want a return to the days where you could attend a game of football knowing that every single decision made in relation to the game was to assist the EFC in winning that game. You can tolerate it for a couple of seasons but it's simply gone too far at Essendon. A loss doesn't hurt the club enough.

Discuss.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

He must have meant sacking Knights rather than bringing back Sheedy.

Sheedy left the list as plain rubbish, Knights said that the rubbish is beautiful.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Good to see I've at least started a discussion of sorts.

The truth is, I have no idea whether Knights is doing a good job or not. Most people on this board agreed that we would be in for some pain this year as we attempted to blood some newer players in the pursuit of success further down the track. So, the question is, is the current form of the team reflective of that reality or reflective of the fact that Knights is no good? The truth is, I'm not sure - and I highly doubt that any of you could be sure either - the team's form on field is only a small amount of the overall picture.

So either Knights is an absolute dud who has no idea, and has managed to fool an entire board into also belieiving that reality - or, our current crop of mid-range players are just good ordinary players who don't have the capacity to go further. I think its mainly the latter. It may be the former, granted, but I think its less likely. Perhaps its a combination of the two.

(and yes - I understand that Knights backed the current list - but that fact has developed into this urban myth where Knights loves the entire list and thinks its ready to win a premiership. I highly doubt that this is the case - there are only so many players you can clear out at once).

I don't think sacking Knights right now achieves anything to be honest. I have a feeling that Evans will re-assess at the end of the year if we are still doing this badly - his comments on SEN today seemed to indicate that.

PS - I''m pissed off too and don't have any particular love for Knights. I just don't think that sacking him achieves anything right now. At the end of the year - maybe.
Last edited by Madden on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Sismis wrote:Very first post:
gringo wrote:...since we have gone into a game with every single decision prior to or during the game made with the sole aim of winning the game? I would argue at least five years. I'm sick of developing players, refining game plans etc. I want a return to the days where you could attend a game of football knowing that every single decision made in relation to the game was to assist the EFC in winning that game. You can tolerate it for a couple of seasons but it's simply gone too far at Essendon. A loss doesn't hurt the club enough.

Discuss.
That doesn't imply I want Sheedy back.

It implies I'm sick of all the smoke and mirror games played by Knights and that a loss doesn't hurt enough.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

My point was that under Sheedy we took the short term options to win us a few games.

We could have kept Lloyd and won a few more games. Instead we took the harder choice to put game time into our young players.

A loss doesn't hurt enough? I saw guys busting their arse with a game well beyond them just to put some respectability on the scoreboard on Sunday.

I don't agree with everthing Knights is doing. You'll note I have avoided commenting on certain selection decisions for example. BUT I don't think we are in as bad shape as many on here seem to, and I don't think getting rid of a guy who is willing to make tough decisions is the right call.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Was it hard or stupid geting rid of Lloyd? Considering we gave Williams a three year deal, I would have to think it was stupid.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

So you'd rather have games going into a player who had no chance of being part of our next flag?

Williams has turned out to be a pretty ordinary decision at this stage.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I am so F****** sick of hearing about the Lloyd thing.

1. I reckon Lloyd played about 3 good games last year. I don't think he would have been much better this year. So, even if you think the decision to sack him was wrong, it would be a brave person to say that he would have made much of a difference to our fortunes this this year even if he did play on. So why keep going on about it?

2. The fact that the Williams decision has farked up doesn't automatically mean that the Lloyd decision was wrong. They are two seperate decisions which wrongly keep getting lumped together. If we kept Lloyd its possible we may still have recruited Williams. THE DECISIONS AREN'T RELATED. FFS
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Give it up on Lloyd. Sure, Williams has been shit, but Staggy is right on this one.

However I think we need to get rid of the coach. Yes, our list isn't very good. But it is not helped by Knights, with his "plan" and "structures" (I would love to hear what they are) and his shithouse selections.
little_ripper wrote:It really SHITS me how they put the boot into David Myers in that second article. The guy has serious talent and just needs to be given a fair go in the seniors, playing in the midfield.
I thought it was a fair comment.
1. There are legitimate question marks over him. He doers not have "serious talent", at least not obviously. I agree he should get a go in the midfield (did alright there this year), but he has to do a lot to show he has what it takes to be a good player into the future.
2. We drafted him ahead of Cyril and Dangerfield. #-o
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

little_ripper wrote:
Filthy wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/i ... 5890938713

Jackson reminds me of Bart..."It wasn't me" :shock: :roll:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/i ... 107wx.html

And the players are obviously not playing a game plan that no one understands and are playing much gusto, inspiration and verve all as a result of enlightened and electrifying leadership =D> :^o

It really SHITS me how they put the boot into David Myers in that second article. The guy has serious talent and just needs to be given a fair go in the seniors, playing in the midfield.

Myers is garbage dude.

He has very limited skills. Done nothing to excite me at all. If he wasnt selected at No. 6 everybody would be saying the same thing. And beleive me I want him to be a player for us, but the proof is in the pudding...