Match thread: Bombers vs Dogs

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Proud of the boys tonight. I still don't see how ANYONE can suggest we have been tanking the season.

Bulldogs are a team playing finals and we had not much to play for, but we pushed them to the limit. After this year most of our young guys will have an improved cardio and skill level.

Look out in 2007!
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

You DONT think we were tanking?
We lost, thats what tanking is about. The last few weeks, essendon coaching moves have been made when we have momentum, that slow that momentum. Players dominating in a position have been moving. As someone said, we had heaps of momentum, winning clearances last night, and Cartledge was moved back in. You are kidding yourself if you think there wasnt the possibility of last night being tanked. :roll:
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Gossy wrote:You DONT think we were tanking?
We lost, thats what tanking is about. The last few weeks, essendon coaching moves have been made when we have momentum, that slow that momentum. Players dominating in a position have been moving. As someone said, we had heaps of momentum, winning clearances last night, and Cartledge was moved back in. You are kidding yourself if you think there wasnt the possibility of last night being tanked. :roll:
Tanking is throwing a game. That is tanking. People who suggest that don't understand the competitive spirit of sports people. I was once asked to tank a game of Basketball. I refused too.

It is a discrace that any Essendon support...any fan of sports period, could suggest any team would deliberatly lose a game.

Rmember 1993? Hird at times played on Ablett and other players would be movd around. Those young playerss including Hird, Wanganeen, Mercuri, Misiti etc benifited in the long run. Its called development. Dempsey will in teh future play as a forward aswell as a midfeilfer. SO it makes sense to have him play on Rohan Smith. He will see how hard those forward and other medfielder work. How they use their body etc.

Regardless. You have suggested that the player tanked the game. The coach may be moving them around, but the Essendon players tried to beat the Bulldogs. Otherwise they woudl not haev bothered to come back in the second quater.

Nothing hurts a sportsperson more than when they are labelled that way. I think it is discracful.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Still don't agree with you. Maybe it is just my heart being stubborn, saying that we arent really that bad, and that we could easily win these games. I never said that i think we should tank, i just thought that we were. To throw a game you only have to lose, and its not that hard to do it without looking obvious.
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

I agree with gossy, i reckon that if it wernt for the priority pick situation we would have won that game, not saying the guys didn't try, they did, but when they know in the back of their mind that it is a good thing to lose subconsiously they are not going to be at 100%.

also things like the amount of time hille was in the ruck etc would have been different. IMO
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Well that is truley a bad sign. I hate to think that our supporters think that low of our players.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

I dont think the players would have been thinking that. They would have been out to win. But the game plan and the things by the coaches etc would have been much different.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

It wasnt the players mate, it would have been the coaches who played players in different positions that didnt give us the best opportunity to win.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Essendon4eva wrote:Well that is truley a bad sign. I hate to think that our supporters think that low of our players.
i think it as taking the most out of a bad situation, if you believe anyone here thinks low of the EFC then you dont think much of anyone here
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

I think the players always give 100%, would never accuse them of tanking. However, some subtle coaching moves the other night made me think, they were not going to be allowed to win it.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Yes, very subtle moves e.g. Lucas, Hird and JJ all benched straight after kicking goals!?
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

billyduckworth wrote:Yes, very subtle moves e.g. Lucas, Hird and JJ all benched straight after kicking goals!?
they deserved a rest of course :P
Kakadu Kangaroos
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

The most obvious was Carts into the ruck at a time when we were killing them in the middle. As soon as that move was made, the doggies put on a few goals fairly quickly.

I wouldn't call it tanking, but I think we could have done more to try and win the game.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Re: Match thread: Bombers vs Dogs

Post by paddyl90 »

BUMP!!!

So bored I decided to go through BT and look at some of the first posts ever made on the new one. Some familiar names we don't hear of....embarrassing posts... hope for players that never made it. I suggest you try it sometime haha.

I just bumped this random one for example. Wonder where everyone is these days
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

JumboPaddy wrote:BUMP!!!

So bored I decided to go through BT and look at some of the first posts ever made on the new one. Some familiar names we don't hear of....embarrassing posts... hope for players that never made it. I suggest you try it sometime haha.

Essendon4eva is turning tricks on Oxford St
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

"watch out in 2007"

lol
Kakadu Kangaroos
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re:

Post by BenDoolan »

Essendon4eva wrote: Rmember 1993? Hird at times played on Ablett and other players would be movd around. Those young playerss including Hird, Wanganeen, Mercuri, Misiti etc benifited in the long run. Its called development. Dempsey will in teh future play as a forward aswell as a midfeilfer. SO it makes sense to have him play on Rohan Smith. He will see how hard those forward and other medfielder work. How they use their body etc.

Regardless. You have suggested that the player tanked the game. The coach may be moving them around, but the Essendon players tried to beat the Bulldogs. Otherwise they woudl not haev bothered to come back in the second quater.

Nothing hurts a sportsperson more than when they are labelled that way. I think it is discracful.
f*** I miss this bloke!!
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

bomberdonnie wrote:
JumboPaddy wrote:BUMP!!!

Essendon4eva is turning tricks on Oxford St

I am trying to live down some of the posts from back then (actually most of them) - geez I made some dumb calls - Harry Hindsight is a wonderful thing i guess
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

When I first saw this I thought someone was getting in early for this year!

I remember Courtney Dempsey playing that night and he squibbed it quite a few times but we could see he had the skill and speed to be a good player.