Whats Missing from our Back Line

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Bomber_wiz
Top Up Player

Re: Whats Missing from our Back Line

Post by Bomber_wiz »

A back line

WIZ
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

robbie67 wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:
robbie67 wrote:
I hope that's a joke, seeing as he has more goals kicked on him than any other defender in the AFL.
So you wouldn't want Pears in the side?
Of course I do, and I think he will be a good player, but he has some way to go, and I am so sick of people in here shooting their load and saying nothing is wrong with the list etc etc. They remind me of the ******* idiots that got us into this mess in the first place.
Give Pears a break Robbie, even Fletch at his best would have no hope with the lack of pressure our midfield put on. Plus he plays on the main forward targets every time he plays, unlike Lake and Scarlett.

Of course he has some work to do, but some of the great games he has played on some big name forwards shows what he is capable of. And he is a hard nut.

Saying we are missing Pears is a long way from saying "nothing is wrong with the list".
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

robbie67 wrote:
little_ripper wrote:Lets be honest, its missing Tayte Pears.
I hope that's a joke, seeing as he has more goals kicked on him than any other defender in the AFL.

Sorry I should have re-phrased. Its missing Tayte Pears in form. Hes got a long way to go to deliver consistently good football. Nevertheless he is one hard at it defender.
robbie67 wrote: Of course I do, and I think he will be a good player, but he has some way to go, and I am so sick of people in here shooting their load and saying nothing is wrong with the list etc etc. They remind me of the ******* idiots that got us into this mess in the first place.
I think we are short one or two good mids, but our backline and forward line has good potential. I mean what other young KPP talent would you want in the side from another team? Pears, Hooker, Hurley, Gumbleton are as good a bunch as any. The big problem is they are all inexperienced.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

He is not there yet, a couple of good games dont make you a good player. Just have a look at how up and down Ryder has been since he destroyed Collingwood last year. I keep hearing how our spine is set for the next 10 years, but I hate to dissapoint, but we will be lucky if one of Gumbleton, Hurley, Pears, Hooker, and Ryder become great players, and even luckier still if three more of them become good players. It's just the way it goes, we are talking about guys with the potential to be good, none of them have already made it. The days of spines winning flags are long over. The last times a great spine won was Brisbane, but even that spine was nothing without Voss, Black, Aker, Lappin, and Power.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

little_ripper wrote: I think we are short one or two good mids, but our backline and forward line has good potential. I mean what other young KPP talent would you want in the side from another team? Pears, Hooker, Hurley, Gumbleton are as good a bunch as any. The big problem is they are all inexperienced.

Sorry, but you live in la la land. The problem is, they are not very good YET. Which I have to admit is a better that the situation with out midfield, small forwards, and small backs which is choc full of blokes who will NEVER be good enough.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

robbie67 wrote:
little_ripper wrote: I think we are short one or two good mids, but our backline and forward line has good potential. I mean what other young KPP talent would you want in the side from another team? Pears, Hooker, Hurley, Gumbleton are as good a bunch as any. The big problem is they are all inexperienced.

Sorry, but you live in la la land. The problem is, they are not very good YET. Which I have to admit is a better that the situation with out midfield, small forwards, and small backs which is choc full of blokes who will NEVER be good enough.
thats an easy conclusion to make when the sides playing like crap (probably the worst in the comp). but i do think if you looked at the talent say under 21, then thats in reasonable shape. Hurley, Gumbleton, Pears, Melksham, Zaharakis, Reimers, Myers. Not a bad group.
saladin
Regular Senior Player

Post by saladin »

the OP's premise is that we lack tough as nails defenders.

Pears played half of anzac day with two broken bones in his arm. he played three quarters of the hawthorn game with a lacerated pancreas and broken ribs.

this kid qualifies for the tough as nails requirement.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

little_ripper wrote:
robbie67 wrote:

thats an easy conclusion to make when the sides playing like crap (probably the worst in the comp). but i do think if you looked at the talent say under 21, then thats in reasonable shape. Hurley, Gumbleton, Pears, Melksham, Zaharakis, Reimers, Myers. Not a bad group.
Think you are over-rating a few of these blokes. The blokes above have played about 20 good games combined. And if you are throwing Myers in that group, we are well and truly farked. He is average at best, and I severely doubt he will make the grade.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

saladin wrote:the OP's premise is that we lack tough as nails defenders.

Pears played half of anzac day with two broken bones in his arm. he played three quarters of the hawthorn game with a lacerated pancreas and broken ribs.

this kid qualifies for the tough as nails requirement.

Agree, and you will notice I left a vacant space in my Hard As Nails line up, that of Full Back - Mr Pears, come on down
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Gimps wrote:
Think you are over-rating a few of these blokes. The blokes above have played about 20 good games combined. And if you are throwing Myers in that group, we are well and truly farked. He is average at best, and I severely doubt he will make the grade.
compare apples with apples, lined up against any other group of players with under 20 games experiences and what I am saying is that it goes alright.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

When Fletch started out he copped some bags of goals. But you knew that he'd end up a top player down the track - he had all the tools. So too Pears. You can tell he'll be a premier backmen in his mid 20's. He's got the physique, the mental application, the talent and the composure. I am more confident of Pears turning into a ripper than any other KPP - Hurley included.
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

BenDoolan wrote:When Fletch started out he copped some bags of goals. But you knew that he'd end up a top player down the track - he had all the tools. So too Pears. You can tell he'll be a premier backmen in his mid 20's. He's got the physique, the mental application, the talent and the composure. I am more confident of Pears turning into a ripper than any other KPP - Hurley included.
IIRC, Fletch only got beaten 3 times in his first year. Ablett got him twice, and Kernahan got him in the GF. I do agree with you on Pears, I think he has more of a chance of becoming great than the others. Like I said, he isnt there yet though, and I have seen very promising footballers flounder at Essendon over the last decade.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robbie67 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:When Fletch started out he copped some bags of goals. But you knew that he'd end up a top player down the track - he had all the tools. So too Pears. You can tell he'll be a premier backmen in his mid 20's. He's got the physique, the mental application, the talent and the composure. I am more confident of Pears turning into a ripper than any other KPP - Hurley included.
IIRC, Fletch only got beaten 3 times in his first year. Ablett got him twice, and Kernahan got him in the GF.
Yeah, you're probably right. And after all he was playing on some gun full forwards at the time - Modra (who kicked 6 on him in the Prelim?), Ablett, Dunstall, Lockett, Sumich, Kernahan.

Can't say we have the same calibre full forwards running around today.....
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

BenDoolan wrote:
robbie67 wrote:
IIRC, Fletch only got beaten 3 times in his first year. Ablett got him twice, and Kernahan got him in the GF.
Yeah, you're probably right. And after all he was playing on some gun full forwards at the time - Modra (who kicked 6 on him in the Prelim?), Ablett, Dunstall, Lockett, Sumich, Kernahan.

Can't say we have the same calibre full forwards running around today.....
Correct, I had forgotten about the prelim. He took some bloody big scalps that year for a kid who was still in school. He was one out most of the time as well. I always have thought though (and I will be struck down for saying this), that Flecther has always struggled against the big monsters. Both Rocca's had his measure, as did Ablett and Lockett. He owned the athletic types though. Neitz and Richardson could never get a kick on him.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

little_ripper wrote:
Gimps wrote:
compare apples with apples, lined up against any other group of players with under 20 games experiences and what I am saying is that it goes alright.
Scully, Trengove, Reddan, Rockliff, Stratton, Hannebry and probably another 30 blokes would probably go ahead of this bloke. Plus, a lot of these players are 18 and haven't been in the system as long as Myers.

Apples for apples, we are still farked :wink:
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Gimps wrote:
little_ripper wrote:
Gimps wrote:
Scully, Trengove, Reddan, Rockliff, Stratton, Hannebry and probably another 30 blokes would probably go ahead of this bloke. Plus, a lot of these players are 18 and haven't been in the system as long as Myers.

Apples for apples, we are still farked :wink:
I meant a group from the one side. I'd probably rate Melbournes group of youngsters higher. but not many other clubs.