If you were coach ...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Ossie
Club Captain

If you were coach ...

Post by Ossie »

... what would you do?
We've all had our ten cents worth on here about what the team should be, what our tactics should be, etc etc.
If it was you at the helm - what would you do this week against North Melbourne - and why?
For me, of our best half dozen or so players last week, four or five were 21 or less - so they all stay in the team and will do until the end of the year.
I would also do something really crazy and play people in their best position (ie Dempsey, Lonergan, Gumbleton, Zaharakis, McVeigh, Welsh).

B McVeigh Fletcher Welsh
HB Lovett-Murray Hooker Hocking
C Zaharakis Lonergan Dempsey
HF Colyer Hurley Winderlich
F Davey Gumbleton Monfries
R Ryder Watson Prismall
I Bellchambers Melksham Howlett Reimers

Ins Welsh, Prismall
Outs Neagle, Stanton

My instructions would be to throw yourself at every contest, chase down every loose ball, crash into your own team-mates if you have to but just go after the pill. Slide in low and force a ball up if you have to. Do not let the opposition get easy possessions from clearances, as that's what's killing us at the moment.
Hurley and Gumbleton I want as essentially stay at home forwards - Gumbleton to start from the goal-square, to give us an 'out' - the high ball to the square. Hurley can lead up but no further than about 70m from goal.
Davey and Monfries also to play pretty much exclusively within 80m of goal except when tracking opponents back up the field.
The game plan is to get the ball to Dempsey and Zaharakis who are two of our best kicks - who I want clearing packs thanks to shepherds and bumps as I don't want either of these guys to have too much defensive responsibility at all - it's just not in their DNA.
Lonergan and Howlett to give Watson a cut out in the middle as they are hard at it - and guys like Winderlich and Colyer to be running around the defensive side of packs - either to pick off opposition attempted clearances or to get the ball on the receive and kick it long to guys like Hurley and Gumbleton.
Man on man in the back half - that means you Mark McVeigh and Andrew Welsh - just do a job on Thomas and Campbell and don't worry about getting a kick yourselves.
If ANYONE handballs to a man standing still they get dragged straight away. That's not in the new Ossie gameplan. :D
The moment the opposition midfield starts to get on top, Reimers gets the job of doing a tag on whoever's getting the most of the footy - probably Swallow or Harvey.

All sounds so easy, right? Basic footy principles and all that.

Disect as required. :wink:

EDIT: Thanks to WH for pointing out I had left out Prismall and Melksham, I have amended my team accordingly. :lol:
Last edited by Ossie on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: If you were coach ...

Post by Windy_Hill »

The problem is that no one knows who the Best 22 are?

Your side is missing Melksham, Atkinson, Prismall, Stanton, Dyson, Williams, Hille, Jetta, Pears and Neagle. (I realise a couple are unavailable but the point is that they will surely come straight back in when ready) I personally thought Neagle showed something against WCE and may have been in our best had he kicked straight. I had him in our best the week before so I think he is worth persisting with until the eand of the season. If for no other reason to find out if he is worth keeping beyond 2010.

Overall, its almost an impossibility to settle on the best team and this is half the problem.

I think for the remainder of the year I would like some answers on players Myers, Houli, Jetta, Dyson - These guys have been around for a while and I would suggest we need to make a call on their futures. Six more games, lets see what you can do
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Windy_Hill wrote:The problem is that no one knows who the Best 22 are?

Your side is missing Melksham, Atkinson, Prismall, Stanton, Dyson, Williams, Hille, Jetta, Pears and Neagle. (I realise a couple are unavailable but the point is that they will surely come straight back in when ready) I personally thought Neagle showed something against WCE and may have been in our best had he kicked straight. I had him in our best the week before so I think he is worth persisting with until the eand of the season. If for no other reason to find out if he is worth keeping beyond 2010.

Overall, its almost an impossibility to settle on the best team and this is half the problem.

I think for the remainder of the year I would like some answers on players Myers, Houli, Jetta, Dyson - These guys have been around for a while and I would suggest we need to make a call on their futures. Six more games, lets see what you can do
Fair points. To be honest I had forgotten about Prismall and Melksham (not sure how! I like the kid) and when the rest are available they will come back into the team in due course. Prismall in instead of Houli is probably the only change I'd make. As for Neagle ... yeah he showed a bit but I really don't see how he's ever going to be part of a successful team without getting his body right. I think there's potential there but that's about it at the moment. Jetta had a good couple of weeks about two months ago but I remain completely unsold on him. Dyson's an intersting one - did well last year but has really faded (thanks to injuries too) this season. Big six weeks for him. Is he out of contract?
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Why did you drop Melksham for Welsh? And how do you expect Welsh to keep up with Thomas or Lindsay? He couldn't even keep up with Fat Albert.

I would still have Neagle in there and Hurley at CHB, Prismall must come in also.
Neagle has shown something in the past 2 weeks, though he still doesn't chase hard enough (but improving)

For me I would have

IN: Prismall, Myers
OUT: Stanton, NLM

I would rather Prismall than Stanton for the fact that if we are going to have an outside receiver, you may as well have someone who has decent enough skill and actually finds space and is also young with some upside.
Myers over NLM because even though both are slow, Myers at least can kick a football and handball alot better than that idiot.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Rossoneri wrote:Why did you drop Melksham for Welsh? And how do you expect Welsh to keep up with Thomas or Lindsay? He couldn't even keep up with Fat Albert.

I would still have Neagle in there and Hurley at CHB, Prismall must come in also.
Neagle has shown something in the past 2 weeks, though he still doesn't chase hard enough (but improving)

For me I would have

I would rather Prismall than Stanton for the fact that if we are going to have an outside receiver, you may as well have someone who has decent enough skill and actually finds space and is also young with some upside.
Myers over NLM because even though both are slow, Myers at least can kick a football and handball alot better than that idiot.
:lol: Yeah had that pointed out. Melksham and Pris are in.
NLM still has to be back there in my opinion - he's handy in that he plays tall, whereas Myers is probably the same height at a guess but players smaller. If that makes sense....
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

FB: McVeigh Fletcher Lovett-Murray
HB: Atkinson Hooker Houli
C: Dempsey Watson Reimers
HF: Hocking Gumbleton Melshkam
FF: Davey Hurley Zaharakis

R: Ryder Colyer Winderlich

I: Prismall Bellchambers* Lonergan Howlett

*Assuming Hille is still not available.

In: Houli, Atkinson, Prismall
Out: Stanton, Neagle, Monfries

I would want a more traditional set-up. Forwards who stay in the forward line for starters, we don't want to clog up the midfield which takes away one of our strengths: speed. With no space to run into we can't utilise our pace.

From kick-outs we go man on man. It is obvious our players stuggle with zoning so until they are taught how to zone we must man all the oppositon players up to make sure they don't get the ball outside 50 to a player 20 metres on their own.

I've lost patience with Stanton, he isn't working hard enough and doesn't go hard enough at a contest. Neagle also hasn't worked hard enough, I thought he would have been very eager to do well after spending 13 weeks in the VFL. I can't remember the last time Monfries played a good game. If Hille was back I'd consider dropping Ryder, some of his efforts on Saturday night were horrible. He wasn't along but I expect more from a player with so much talent.

I'd instruct the players not to handball as much, kicking the ball long will get the ball into the forwards quicker before the oppositions midfielders get a chance to get back and flood. The players are struggling with a complicated game plan so making it simple will make it much easier for them.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

B McVeigh Fletcher Myers
HB Hurley Hooker Lovett-Murray
C Zaharakis Hocking Winderlich
HF Colyer Gumbleton Monfries
F Davey Neagle Stanton
R Ryder Watson Prismall
I Bellchambers (Hille if fit ) Melksham Howlett Reimers

Ins Myers, Prismall, (Hille if fit)
Outs Dempsey, Lonergan , Bellchambers (if Hille plays)

Stanton to play as deep forward , he can kick goals , useless in midfield as can't shake a tag , but he is on shaky ground if he cannnot perform here. Gumby or Neagle to stay close to goal to offer a target & have Davey/Colyer nearby to mop up as when the pill hits the ground Gumby & Neagle are found wanting , so FFS mark it.

Hocking is a in & under midfielder so put him in the action.

KISS "keep it simple" no handball backwards or sideways (or to a players ankles) ,attack , no trurnovers, kick it long & have the 2 forwards stay close to goal for an option. Pressure , pressure , pressure the opposition at all times

From now on all players are on notice, if you show signs of timidness , no enthusiasm , no desire , no brutality at the ball , they are out of the team & possibly out of the club at seasons end.Tough times call for tough action , If they can't take it we don't want them.

If you go down ......go down swinging.

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

B Atkinson Fletcher Houli
HB Myers Hooker Hocking
HF Colyer Hurley Melksham
R Ryder Watson Prismall
I Hille(Bellchambers) Winderlich Howlett Reimers

Ins Prismall, Myers, Houli, Atkinson, Hille (if fit)
Outs Neagle, Stanton, McVeigh, NLM ( I 'm missing an out)

The so called senior players need a rocket - they have done very little in the last 3 weeks and its time to blood the youngster more. Neagle might stay in if Gumby needs a rest but only under the proviso he has 1000 shots at goal from 40 metres out.

Responsibility needs to be given to Monfries, Winderlich and Lonergan.

Agree if anyone who handballs to a stationary player - immediate drag. Kick the ball long and quick no more than 2 handballs in a row. If you are running into goals from within 40 metre radius its your responsibility to kick the goal unless there is someone 50 metres clear and you are able to pass it to them easier than actually having a ping,
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

1. Drop Stanton. Do not bring back Welsh if he is fit.

2. Tell them if there's nothing on, kick it long so at least if/when we turn it over it's another 60m from the opponents' goals.

3. Gumbleton and/or Hurley in the forward 50 at all times. If their men run off them, stay there and take the risk that North gets easy goals, as they will anyway.

4. Hard at the contests and chasing the opposition or you're dropped.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

MH_Bomber wrote:B Atkinson Fletcher Houli
HB Myers Hooker Hocking
HF Colyer Hurley Melksham
R Ryder Watson Prismall
I Hille(Bellchambers) Winderlich Howlett Reimers

Ins Prismall, Myers, Houli, Atkinson, Hille (if fit)
Outs Neagle, Stanton, McVeigh, NLM ( I 'm missing an out)

The so called senior players need a rocket - they have done very little in the last 3 weeks and its time to blood the youngster more. Neagle might stay in if Gumby needs a rest but only under the proviso he has 1000 shots at goal from 40 metres out.

Responsibility needs to be given to Monfries, Winderlich and Lonergan.

Agree if anyone who handballs to a stationary player - immediate drag. Kick the ball long and quick no more than 2 handballs in a row. If you are running into goals from within 40 metre radius its your responsibility to kick the goal unless there is someone 50 metres clear and you are able to pass it to them easier than actually having a ping,
Why NLM? He is one of the few that has actually shown an ounce of endeavour over the last few weeks. He stays in IMO.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Gimps I am usually one of his biggest supporters but I really feel that the so called experienced brigade have let the side down more than the youngsters. With our season in tatters its time to blood the youngsters. He'd be my first inclusion if there was an injury.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

BACK: ATKINSON, Fletcher, Howlett
HB: Reimers, Hooker, Hocking
C: Dempsey, PRISMALL, Colyer
HF: Stanton, Hurley, Zaharakis
FOR: Monfries, Gumbleton, M WILLIAMS
FOLL: Ryder, Watson, HOULI
INT: Davey, Melksham, Lovett Murray, Bellchambers

IN Houli, M Williams, Prismall, Atkinson

OUT Lonergan, Neagle, Winderlich, McVeigh

Time to rest Winderlich - something is just not right. Lonergan doesn't get enough of it. McVeigh is out of form.

If Houli's getting 30 touches a game in the middle for Bendigo - we could use that dammit......give him a chance, M Williams to bolster the forwards, Prismall is a waste not in the big league, Atkinson's big body and straight running is a must.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

bombercol wrote:BACK: ATKINSON, Fletcher, Howlett
HB: Reimers, Hooker, Hocking
C: Dempsey, PRISMALL, Colyer
HF: Stanton, Hurley, Zaharakis
FOR: Monfries, Gumbleton, M WILLIAMS
FOLL: Ryder, Watson, HOULI
INT: Davey, Melksham, Lovett Murray, Bellchambers

IN Houli, M Williams, Prismall, Atkinson

OUT Lonergan, Neagle, Winderlich, McVeigh
thats a good team, the only thing i would change with this is drop Dempsey and leave Winderlich in

my plan for the game is simple and wont happen as long as knights is at the helm, go HARD at it in the ruck contests get back to our hard tackling and kick forward at every instance, only handballing to someone on the move, as someone else said if someone handballs to a stationary player then he gets dragged. Gumby and Hurley to stay at FF and CHF and lead all day long, that forward structure needs to stay in tact and maybe let Gumby out a bit if he's not getting into the game and give Williams a go at kicking a few.

seems very simple to me and how Knights isn't thinking along the same line bemuses me
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

I was going to stay off this forum as well as forget football for a week. but you know its like a car crash, for some reason you just have to look.

Now for the first point in this thread: Brent Stanton. Yes he has been below his best, but c'mon he did something none of our players have been able to. KICK GOALS. he slotted 3 of them on the weekend.

IMO for that reason alone he is worth his wait in gold and has to stay. Blindy freddy can see that our big problem is that we haven't been able to kick winning scores. Our inside 50s stats have been ok. But we can't take a grab i50 or kick a sausage roll to save ourselves.

Second point. dishlicker. I thought windas actually had one of his better games - i have no idea why you would consider dropping him. noone in the twos is playing at his level.

I'm not big on wholesale team changes, as the bombers problems run deeper than that. the boys confidence is completely shot and its the senior players who have the experience to turn it around.

If there were to be changes I would look at Houli, Myers,Atkinson or Prismall.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Rossoneri wrote:Why did you drop Melksham for Welsh? And how do you expect Welsh to keep up with Thomas or Lindsay? He couldn't even keep up with Fat Albert.

For me I would have

One of our major problems has been a lack of physicality from the majority of the playing group and yet you advocate dropping NLM :?

On this season's form, he would be one of the first picked and he is also one of the few players who tries to break the lines.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Something I noticed doing my team and looking at the other line-ups is that we have absolutely NO defensively minded midfielders. No guys capable of tagging / shutting down another player etc (apart from Welsh on Judd!)
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Given the rest of the year is about (1) testing the yougngsters and (2) putting game time into the youngsters

BACK: Hardingham, T Slattery, Fletcher
HB: Atkinson, Hooker, Houli
C: Dempsey, Watson, Zacha
HF: Monfries, Gumbleton, Melksham
FOR: Davey, Hurley, Colyer
FOLL: Ryder, Myers, Hocking
INT: Reimers, Bellchambers(Hille), Howlett, Prismall
e/ Lovett Murray, Jetta, Neagle, Silverlock

sti
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

sti dreams wrote:Given the rest of the year is about (1) testing the yougngsters and (2) putting game time into the youngsters

sti

This actually feels like a decent team - pacey and full of youthful exuberance
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Windy_Hill wrote:
sti dreams wrote:Given the rest of the year is about (1) testing the yougngsters and (2) putting game time into the youngsters

sti

This actually feels like a decent team - pacey and full of youthful exuberance
Now if only they would show that exuberance on the field...
CSol
Top Up Player

Post by CSol »

B McVeigh Hooker Fletcher
HB Lovett-Murray Hurley, Atkinson
C Colyer Dempsey Winderlich
HF Zaharakis Gumbleton Monfries
F Reimers, Neagle, Williams
R Ryder Watson Prismall

I Bellchambers, Melksham, Welsh, Myers
Emg. Stanton, Houli, Davey

I'm going to take a different approach to most.
The full backline
McVeigh must go back, he is too slow for the midfield and not creative enough to compensate. Plus we could use his hardness back there against the small forwards.
Hooker should be primed as our next Full back, much in the mould of Fletch he has the canny ability to get a fist to spoil and is tall, strong and will get stronger.
Fletch should be given 2nd tall or spare defender, he has been getting some jobs this year but I prefer to leave it to our young defenders. No one creates with such penetrating kicks from the backline ni our back half as fletch does.
The half backline
NLM, has has an excellent season, can't and wont understand the knockers, he has some mungrel about him, can play tall and always gives everything.
Hurley, I see him as a CHF/CHB and I'd like to see him settle as CHB in his apprenticeship rather than being thrown around.
Atkinson, another hard nut defender with good pace rounds off a back 6 with 3 good hard imposing players and 3 good talls to control the air.
The Midfield
I have seen enough of Colyer to suggest he should be in and stay in (subject to resting/workload). Has amazing pace, good skills and most importantly knows where the goals are. Needs to work on his defence and chase down opponants as fast as he takes off with the pill.
I'm not convinced Dempsey is a defender. His ability to take the ball from congested areas and run clear with strength and pace suggests he should be in the thick of it getting handouts from Watson.
Winderlich should never play anywhere but midfield, he has pace and generally good disposal. Not a great season this year, but we know what he is capable of.
The Half Forward Line
Zakka, love to see him rotated through the midfield more, love him, great disposal, great goal sense and works hard
Gumby, should be given a box set of Rooee vidoes and told to model his game on that. He should be roaming the forward half of the ground being the target for kicks coming out of half back and midfield and running with the flight into an almost vacant F50 when possible.
Monfries, owns this position and should rarely be moved he is an excellent opportunist, good mark for his size and can kick a goal
The Full Forward Line
Reimers edges out Davey, whilst both are capacble of igniting the team with the x factor they present, Davey doesn't contribute enough goals, Reimers is far more dangerous, whilst also capable of good forward pressure, albait not the level of Davey.
Neagle, Saw his game last weekend and im convinced if he is told to imagine a big rubber band that stretches only 40 mtrs from the goal square and that he should be bouncing up and down then he will do well. Made two direct leads from the goal square for 2 strong marks, spent most of the day running with the flight from half forward which he is not suited to.
Unless Williams is unfit he should be playing, he is a strong small lead up forward with a deadly kick and a good decoy for Neagle. The F50 should generally be vacant with just these 2 standing in the goal square leading in opposite directions.
The Ruck
Ryder, bellchambers at his best isnt a match for Ryders worst so it’s a no brainer until Hille is back
Watson, Vitally important, maybe overworked in my selected line up
Prismall knows how to find the pill and was considered a good user of the ball. His confidence has been shattered by Knights, he should be playing and staying in the side.
The Interchange
Bellchamers, as Ryder needs support, melksham as he will will be a player, and Welsh for the Hard tags (if he lets his opponant loose he gets dragged) and Myers, his hight and size is an advantage in the middle, give the box set of Goddard and the opportunity to try and replicate.

Unlucky
Stanton, out of form and not handling being tagged. His poor disposal means he for the most part ineffective unless he gathers 33+ possies a game and can even hurt us from his turnovers when he does.
Houli, I'd love to fit him in but im happy with the above line up and I see more upside with Myers.
Davey, other than tacking doesn’t give us enough. Misses too many bread and butter opportunities that goal sneaks should hit. Unlike his brother has no versatility.