If you were coach ...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Re: If you were coach ...

Post by little_ripper »

Interesting that none of the replies have Jetta in their best 22.

Was easily in our best a month or two back. His form like the teams has dropped off. But IMO he has shown more than enough this year to prove he belongs in the best

IMO if you are looking at guys who need to be rested to allow game time to the kids coming through you have to look at McVeigh and Welsh.

McVeigh is 29, he will not be around for our next premiership. Welsh is 27 going on 28 and will probably not be there either.
And neither of these two have really been in our best this year. Sure they usually haven't been the worst, but we have to play the kids.

Of the oldies, the only guys I think should be getting games are Hille, NLM, Fletcher because invariably these guys have been very good this year.(and you have to have some senior players on the park, otherwise yes...you'll take a bath every time).
CSol
Top Up Player

Post by CSol »

little_ripper wrote:Interesting that none of the replies have Jetta in their best 22.

Was easily in our best a month or two back. His form like the teams has dropped off. But IMO he has shown more than enough this year to prove he belongs in the best

IMO if you are looking at guys who need to be rested to allow game time to the kids coming through you have to look at McVeigh and Welsh.

McVeigh is 29, he will not be around for our next premiership. Welsh is 27 going on 28 and will probably not be there either.
And neither of these two have really been in our best this year. Sure they usually haven't been the worst, but we have to play the kids.

Of the oldies, the only guys I think should be getting games are Hille, NLM, Fletcher because invariably these guys have been very good this year.(and you have to have some senior players on the park, otherwise yes...you'll take a bath every time).
We need someone who can take a scalp doing the hard tag. So far only Welsh has shown capable, he has taken some big scalps and his role in doing so is underrated. Unless we can reinvent Stanton as a tagger (which with his ability t read the play coupled with his poor disposal might be a career saving descision) we ahve no one more suitable than Welsh in this role.

McVeigh is borderline, when he is playing well he provides much needed hardness to our team, not something Jetta has to offer. I'm sure McVeigh still has plenty left and just needs to find his form again. His apparent insistance to spend more time int he middle is a concern, he isnt a tagger, isnt a in and under and doesnt have the pace to be an outside go to option.

Jetta is competing for a forward line spot with Monfries, Davey, Reimers and Williams all of which I would think are well ahead.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

So shouldn't spike be finding that form down at bendigo?
I mean its not like he is stopping the side from getting hammered.

the problem with senior guys is that if they are dropped they assume its curtains on their career.

I might be the only one(but I doubt it) that thinks your wrong on Jetta. He is not well behind Monfries, Davey, Reimers and Williams.
Unlike those 4, Jetta has at least been BOG for us this year.

I agree Welsh has been very good stopping some big names and he is the vice captain.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Meh the hard tagger. Welsh has only done it well once this year and he gives us nothing else. Also our midfield bleeds goals anyway. Better off playing younger guys who may be able to put in a full team defensive effort.

Or try one or two of the young guys as taggers, Welsh isn't going to be around much longer anyway.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Pretty fair assessment Csol...I am sure that there are others who would be considered 'unlucky' and some who may disagree with some of your selections, but overall, not bad and no complaints from me...
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

id give Robson a call and say thanks but this "marriage" aint working and your supporters suck.... see ya
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals