Trade Targets - Who (realistically) will they be?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Trade Targets - Who (realistically) will they be?

Post by Windy_Hill »

Lot of talk this season about the impact GC will have on the draft and how this year (and the next couple of years) will not be a good time to be bottoming out. Looking at the bottom 5 sides, you have to think that the teams with the biggest issues are Essendon, West Coast and Port Adelaide. Melbourne and Richmond, you get the sense, are on the upswing and starting to benefit from several years of decent draft picks.

So given that we are unlikely to enjoy the same draft value as teams from previous years (again, our timing stinks as I recall we missed out on a priority draft selection in 2006 as the AFL changed the eligibility rules on us in the one year we could have earned such a selection!!), what do we have to do to improve this squad? At this stage the best draft pick we could get is number 4 (and that would be if we finish rock bottom last - something I dont think anyone would like to see happen).

Here are the GC Draft Concessions explained. Gold Coast to have first pick in each round. Gold Coast to have selections 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15 in round one

If we finish;
15th, we would get picks 6, 28 & 45 (anything after the third round wont be worth to much), 14th, we would get picks 8, 29, & 46, 13th, we would get picks 10, 30 & 47....and so on. As I said, not a good year to be bottoming out. And frankly, finishing higer than 14th would be draft suicide!

So it would seem that drafting will not necesarily bring any short term relief. I believe the club has to seriously look at trading for experienced, proven players. Our goal should be to secure 2 A Grade mid-fielders to support the young talent that we already have.

The question I have is who should we realistically be targeting and how do we get them to the club - Lets be sensible about this, we are not going to get a gun player by offering Laycock and Draft Pick 45. So what type of players do we have an excess of that other clubs would like. Which of our better players would be used as trade bait - keeping in mind that a Stanton, for example, would suit clubs with an already strongish mid-field but probably isnt the "enginie room" type player we need?

Feel free to comment
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Trade Targets - Who (realistically) will they be?

Post by BenDoolan »

Everyone bar Gumbleton, Watson, Zaharakis, Pears, Melksham, Hurley, Hille, Hooker, Ryder, Fletcher, Colyer, Reimers and Hocking are tradeable or delistable.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

So Benny, and I agree in general, who should we be targeting. I mean, there has been some speculation about Dangerfield (I believe Boak has committed to PA). What would a)convince DAngerfirld to join Essendon and what sort of package would we need to put together for him?

By thw way, do we have any uncontracted players on GC's hit list and what would we get for them?
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Dangerfield.

Rich. Brisbane aren't looking too good either at the moment. Also Fevola is a dickhead.
BenDoolan wrote:Everyone bar Gumbleton, Watson, Zaharakis, Pears, Melksham, Hurley, Hille, Hooker, Ryder, Fletcher, Colyer, Reimers and Hocking are tradeable or delistable.
I wouldn't have Hille on that list given his age.
Also Ryder, given his inconsistency. Plus those two might be our only valuable trade pieces and Bellchambers looks alright. Would only trade one though and obviously only if we get a good deal.

I'd also be willing to trade Reimers or Hocking if it lands us a gun midfielder.

Likewise Hooker. I really like him and he has shown very good signs so far, but we have several other KPPs, so I think we can afford to trade him and again, we NEED at least one gun midfielder and you can't trade shit to get a gun.

Also, it's a pity we no longer have Henneman to throw in as a deal sweetener.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Easier targets would be young Vic boys playing interstate at the moment....

Would we be at all interested in Chris Knights from the Crows?? I know he isnt exactly a midfielder as such... :?
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

j-mac31 wrote:quote]

Also, it's a pity we no longer have Henneman to throw in as a deal sweetener.
If only we had Lalich, and stalwarts like Tony Delaney and Todd Ridley :wink:
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

BenDoolan wrote:Everyone bar Gumbleton, Watson, Zaharakis, Pears, Melksham, Hurley, Hille, Hooker, Ryder, Fletcher, Colyer, Reimers and Hocking are tradeable or delistable.
For the right deal every single one of them is tradeable. Though obviously Fletcher isnt going anywhere else, and you probably couldnt trade Jobe if you didnt want to rip out anything this club may call a soul.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Nobody would want Fletcher or Hille - but I see what your getting at Benny. Sad that a couple of our 'untouchables' are geriatric and injury prone.

Stanton and Ryder would be the 2 best pieces of bait to snag someone decent. However it is unrealistic to think the club would be so clear headed and ruthless about recruiting this time when they have been too soft in the past. I suspect these 2 will get 200 plus games for the EFC. The issue for me is - will the second half of there careers be better than the first? - I suspect not.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

hop wrote:
Nobody would want Fletcher or Hille - but I see what your getting at Benny. Sad that a couple of our 'untouchables' are geriatric and injury prone.

Stanton and Ryder would be the 2 best pieces of bait to snag someone decent. However it is unrealistic to think the club would be so clear headed and ruthless about recruiting this time when they have been too soft in the past. I suspect these 2 will get 200 plus games for the EFC. The issue for me is - will the second half of there careers be better than the first? - I suspect not.
Shouldnt be too hard for Stants
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I dont see that a wholesale clean out will be done. Remember we will looking at being a top 4 side next year and games have been put into players. :wink:

I worry about keeping Houli but the likely trade candidates will be Prismall (the perennial whipping boy), Dyson and Atkinson.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Hmmmmm.....interesting to see no-one nominating who they want. Because, realistically, the "gun" midfielders in the comp are those generally in the premiership team i.e Gary Ablett, Joel Selwood, Joel Corey, Corey Enright etc. Any other midfielder is useless because they play in an unsuccessful team.

Judd has made stuff all difference to Carlton. Akermanis did stuff all for Bulldogs. Cousins at Richmond. Simply getting a gun midfielder doesn't suddenly make you a premiership contender.

Not saying we shouldn't trade for one, but letting go of someone like Hurley, Gumbleton, Pears, Zaharakis would be absolutely stupid.
Essendunny
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

BenDoolan wrote:Hmmmmm.....interesting to see no-one nominating who they want. Because, realistically, the "gun" midfielders in the comp are those generally in the premiership team i.e Gary Ablett, Joel Selwood, Joel Corey, Corey Enright etc. Any other midfielder is useless because they play in an unsuccessful team.

Judd has made stuff all difference to Carlton. Akermanis did stuff all for Bulldogs. Cousins at Richmond. Simply getting a gun midfielder doesn't suddenly make you a premiership contender.

Not saying we shouldn't trade for one, but letting go of someone like Hurley, Gumbleton, Pears, Zaharakis would be absolutely stupid.
Yep. Whenever I watch a West Coke game, I hope against all hope that Josh "Twinkle Toes" Kennedy can become a modern day football God...

:-k
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I am staggered that Ryder is even mentioned in the same sentence as "Trade Targets". Not having the greatest season, but who is. Guys with his height, athleticism and skills do not grow on trees.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
auditor
High Draft Pick

Post by auditor »

Ryder MUST NOT be traded!!!!! [-X
It just fell out of the sky
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

unrealistically but after having a look at north they sure have developed a gun in andrew swallow. he would be great in red n black. saying that i think he would be one of norths untouchables now.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Personally, I think that this is a moot point. For me, I reckon all teams will be busting their arses just to keep as many players as possible and that unless a player is severely homesick or disgruntled, there will be very few trades done...

I also think that most trades will involve either GC & WS for some of their first round picks cause they will want experienced players to fill their rosters and give them a chance to be competitive as early as possible...and lets face facts, no clubs will just give players away...hell, even an injury prone player like Laycock, who in a normal year would probably only attract a 3rd round pick, could be traded for a low first round pick to GC or WS...
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

rockhole wrote:I am staggered that Ryder is even mentioned in the same sentence as "Trade Targets". Not having the greatest season, but who is. Guys with his height, athleticism and skills do not grow on trees.

Well he better start getting some BOG's then cause for a guy who comes with a lot of rave reviews, he has not stepped up this year. I believe he could be a very very good player but he needs to start dominating games on a regular basis and not just put in cameo performances
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Thought he was good in patches this year, but his last 3 weeks were deplorable. He and Winderlich were the only two decent players against Adelaide, and his form before then had been quite good.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Just on Gold Coast for a moment

I was wondering how strong a side they could have in a few years based simply on their first year's draft concessions. Lets go back a few years and see which players they could have today, based on players taken at the same stage in the 2006 draft. This is just their first Round selections (They also the get the first player taken in every subsequent round)

Bryce Gibbs
Lachlan Hansen
Scott Gumbleton
Travis Boak
Joel Selwood
David Armitage
Andrejs Everitt
Jack Reiwoldt
Daniel O'Keefe

Not a bad bunch of players to have in one team
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Windy_Hill wrote:Just on Gold Coast for a moment

I was wondering how strong a side they could have in a few years based simply on their first year's draft concessions. Lets go back a few years and see which players they could have today, based on players taken at the same stage in the 2006 draft. This is just their first Round selections (They also the get the first player taken in every subsequent round)

Bryce Gibbs
Lachlan Hansen
Scott Gumbleton
Travis Boak
Joel Selwood
David Armitage
Andrejs Everitt
Jack Reiwoldt
Daniel O'Keefe

Not a bad bunch of players to have in one team
Not bad at all, Although I do think their success will be dependent on the 8-10 uncontracted players they have apparently already signed. That and 2006 was pretty damn awesome. If its just an average draft, then they will still draft their fair share of duds.