Basher Houli

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Basher Houli

Post by Gimps »

Didn't see the game tonight as I was at an engagement party.. my apologies.

Old Basher do anything? 14 touches hardly vindicates the jizz that has been blown over him on this site...
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Basher Houli

Post by Windy_Hill »

was ok (based on radio commentary and obvious stats)given the time he has been out of the game - didnt waste too much ball so probably better signs for him - would persist
ace076
Regular Senior Player

Post by ace076 »

I thought Houli was very good. Did all that was asked of him with limited game time and showed great poise on numerous occasions. Couldn't fault his game tonight, his kicking was extremely good too!.
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

Founding Captain of the Bombertalk Blacks.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

ace076 wrote:I thought Houli was very good. Did all that was asked of him with limited game time and showed great poise on numerous occasions. Couldn't fault his game tonight, his kicking was extremely good too!.
I agree, on and off the bench all night, he attacked the ball and did a lot of good things. Would be stiff the not get a game next week.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

If he uses the ball the way he did tonight, all he needs to do is find more of it, and he can become pretty good.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Besides having amazing foot skills i didnt get much from him last night. more time in seniors will do him good.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Amazing foot skills?... Hmmm...

Still seems a bit hesitant to put his head over the pill to me. Not a great game, but I'd give him another week to show something. Might have a hard time keeping his spot with Hille coming back but...
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Doctor Fish wrote:Amazing foot skills?... Hmmm...

Still seems a bit hesitant to put his head over the pill to me. Not a great game, but I'd give him another week to show something. Might have a hard time keeping his spot with Hille coming back but...
Did enough, Priz will be the one under scruitiny as he came in as an emergency (although I would be disgusted if Priz got the chop). If it was on performance, Jetta goes out, Hille in
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

A bit of praise from Knights post match, WOW, who would have thought? He might string 2 games together now....
Essendunny
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I thought he did okay, without setting the world on fire.

He spent most of the game as a kind of pseudo-CHF (the role that Longergan has played a lot recently) and therefore looked a bit puzzled as to what exactly his role was - crash into the centre square Carey/Merrett/Brereton style? (I doubt it given his size) Or be a "lead up forward" (but doesn't Monfries do that)? Or what?

Actually, call me old-fashioned, but when we have talls on the forward line such as Neagle, Gumbleton and Hardingham, why do we play a two foot midget at CHF? Can anyone explain this bizarre tactic/set up?
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

Houli was solid without being spectacular.

First game in a while though and as others have stated was on and off the bench a fair bit. I think he played quite well. As for the comment about him "still being a bit hesitant to put his head over the pill " is ridiculous. He never shirked an issue at all last night.

Definitely deserves another game. He is better than Lonergan thats for sure.

But we have some quality coming in next week we just CAN NOT over look - Slattery, Welsh and Lonergan etc...
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Amazing that we were so quick to re-sign Slats yet a player like Houli has to battle to even play a game...
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Yes Dr. Fish.. his passes are very pin point. Well from what I've seen.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

JumboPaddy wrote:
Haven't been to many Bendigo games this year hey Paddy? There is a reason why he's been slumming it in the magoos contrary to many misguided Bomber fans beliefs. He's had to work on the flaws in his game. Don't get me wrong, I like Bachar and have total faith that he'll cut it at senior level, but if you seriously think his disposal is any better than average, IMHO you're very much mistaken... But each to his own...

:wink:
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Thought his disposal, when he had time, were spot on. I know it sounds simple but how many times do we see players under little pressure f*** it up?

He still is soft but I would rather a soft outsider mid who can hit target 8 out of 10 by foot than 4 out of 10 (not mentioning any names)
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I think he was ok considering he hasn't played in the seniors for so long, he took a couple of strong marks and contributed. His kicking is good but I wish he would never ever handball again, a couple of handballs went astray and one was even too hot for a teammate to recieve.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robrulz5 wrote:I think he was ok considering he hasn't played in the seniors for so long, he took a couple of strong marks and contributed. His kicking is good but I wish he would never ever handball again, a couple of handballs went astray and one was even too hot for a teammate to recieve.
Yep, his handballing is crap. But his kicking is powerful and long - which is an asset I like.

Simply gotta f*** off the dinky shitkickers in our club.
Essendunny
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Doctor Fish wrote:
JumboPaddy wrote:
Haven't been to many Bendigo games this year hey Paddy? There is a reason why he's been slumming it in the magoos contrary to many misguided Bomber fans beliefs. He's had to work on the flaws in his game. Don't get me wrong, I like Bachar and have total faith that he'll cut it at senior level, but if you seriously think his disposal is any better than average, IMHO you're very much mistaken... But each to his own...

:wink:
Well I can only comment on what I saw Saturday night and his kicks were dead on. Handballing on the other hand...
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

One of a select few that can actually hit a target. Should stay in on that basis alone.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Actually reminded me a lot Dean Rioli (in his kicking). Delivered beautifuly into the 50 and hit targets. i actually think he'd make a good HFF. He's not afraid to take a kick from 50 which is something we are lacking ATM.