The funny thing about Kyle Hardingham is..

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gnome Chomsky
Top Up Player

The funny thing about Kyle Hardingham is..

Post by Gnome Chomsky »

he plays the same position as Mark Williams but better, younger and didnt cost us a first round draft pick! :shock:
States are not moral agents, people are, and can impose moral standards on powerful institutions - Noam Chomsky
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Re: The funny thing about Kyle Hardingham is..

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

haha funny considering that he was drafted as a running defender (to replace McFlee). Just adds to our forward options in 2011 when Willo returns.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Mark Williams will be a good Essendon player.
Gnome Chomsky
Top Up Player

Post by Gnome Chomsky »

bombercol wrote:Mark Williams will be a good Essendon player.
At the start of the year I agreed with you. Since then I have tried to think of another sucessful AFL player who is under 180cm, can only play forward and cant provide defensive pressure.

I can't think of any player that fits that bill. Sadly footy has changed since he kicked 70 odd goals for the Hawks and he hasn't moved with the times.
States are not moral agents, people are, and can impose moral standards on powerful institutions - Noam Chomsky
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Gnome Chomsky wrote:
At the start of the year I agreed with you. Since then I have tried to think of another sucessful AFL player who is under 180cm, can only play forward and cant provide defensive pressure.

I can't think of any player that fits that bill. Sadly footy has changed since he kicked 70 odd goals for the Hawks and he hasn't moved with the times.
It's changed that much in 4 years when one of the best defensive sides of all time was competing for the flag with one of the best midfields of all time. Wait that sounds familiar.....
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Gnome Chomsky wrote:

True, but it would still take a decent opposition defender to keep him quiet which would then release other players into the game... he will definately have a role in the forward line next season.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

So of the players who played tonight, and Melksham, Pears, NLM, and Winderlich. Which 5 players would you leave out for Garden Gnome from Hawthorn?
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I would play Williams over Lonergan (even though Sammy was great in his 50th tonight)
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:I would play Williams over Lonergan (even though Sammy was great in his 50th tonight)
Ok, and the other four?
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

robbie67 wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:I would play Williams over Lonergan (even though Sammy was great in his 50th tonight)
Ok, and the other four?
Yeah coz Pears, NLM and Winderlich all play forward roles similar to Longergan.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

boncer34 wrote:
robbie67 wrote:
Ok, and the other four?
Yeah coz Pears, NLM and Winderlich all play forward roles similar to Longergan.
My point is that Williams should not even be able to force his way into the team. Even with our obvious lack of depth he isnt in our best 25 or 26 players. Monfries and Hardingham add so much more to a team than someone like Williams, and the days of a forward structure of 2 bigs, 4 smalls are long gone.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Fair point.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Hardingham did something tonight a couple of times that we have been missing since Lloyd tore his hammy - he split the pack and took both his opponents out leaving our crumber to gather and goal - wouldn't even rate as a stat but in reality a goal assist and scares the opposition backline witless - brown undies time! Worth a spot just for that. If he can chime in with a couple of grabs and goals - he has earned his spot.

Cannot see Williams doing that.

STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Perhaps Neagle could also do this - Power to Weight ratio would suit!! :wink:
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

robbie67 wrote:So of the players who played tonight, and Melksham, Pears, NLM, and Winderlich. Which 5 players would you leave out for Garden Gnome from Hawthorn?

Neagle
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

sti dreams wrote:Hardingham did something tonight a couple of times that we have been missing since Lloyd tore his hammy - he split the pack and took both his opponents out leaving our crumber to gather and goal - wouldn't even rate as a stat but in reality a goal assist and scares the opposition backline witless - brown undies time! Worth a spot just for that. If he can chime in with a couple of grabs and goals - he has earned his spot.

STI
That is not the role that Williams plays in the forward line... Williams leads fast to the football and would be there to pick up the crumbs after players like Neagle or Hardingham split the pack open. I can see Willo playing a similar role for us like what Betts or Garlett play for the Blues.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

sti dreams wrote:Hardingham did something tonight a couple of times that we have been missing since Lloyd tore his hammy - he split the pack and took both his opponents out leaving our crumber to gather and goal - wouldn't even rate as a stat but in reality a goal assist and scares the opposition backline witless - brown undies time! Worth a spot just for that. If he can chime in with a couple of grabs and goals - he has earned his spot.

STI
Very good point, Sti. Although Hardingham "only" kicked two goals this week, his work indirectly led to at least 2/3 others. I really hope he is not dropped. Especially with Gumby out now, we need this young man. Another good thing he does, too, I notice, is lead back to the goalsquare, rather than wander up the ground all the time. I like that.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Adds some real "bite" to the forward line and is now taking out up to 3 defenders due to his marking abilities.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote: That is not the role that Williams plays in the forward line... Williams leads fast to the football and would be there to pick up the crumbs after players like Neagle or Hardingham split the pack open. I can see Willo playing a similar role for us like what Betts or Garlett play for the Blues.
Williams crumbs? Seriously Mrs Mercs, drugs can do you some bad long term damage. :P
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

robbie67 wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote: That is not the role that Williams plays in the forward line... Williams leads fast to the football and would be there to pick up the crumbs after players like Neagle or Hardingham split the pack open. I can see Willo playing a similar role for us like what Betts or Garlett play for the Blues.
Williams crumbs? Seriously Mrs Mercs, drugs can do you some bad long term damage. :P
haha I have watched a lot of VFL football in my time and when Willo was playing for Box Hill he did it all the time! :D

Ahh well we will just have to wait until next season so he can prove everyone wrong!!