Hurley

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Hurley

Post by robbie67 »

f****** hell. If he strings those sorts of games together he may be the second f****** coming. Those three talls down back tonight were superb. StKilda are f****** squibs.
Gnome Chomsky
Top Up Player

Re: Hurley

Post by Gnome Chomsky »

The guy is a champion when he plays back. I would love him to play forward like he did against the dawks in round 22 last year but i think that is unrealistic at least at this point in his career.

I say keep playing him back where he seems to be comfortable and maybe in a year or two reassess if he is a better fit to be a forward or back
States are not moral agents, people are, and can impose moral standards on powerful institutions - Noam Chomsky
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Helps when you are playing against a hack like KoSHITzke!! :D

Still great to see Hurls playing great footy!! He certainly seems more comfortable in the backline even though we would love to have him forward!
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

So where are you going to stick T. Pears when he comes back from injury? Can you play 4 talls or will Hurley be a floater between the two 50's?
"..computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I am dead set going to start deleting your posts Rob. Just type the f****** word and let the f****** filter to it's f****** job!!!!

:twisted:
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

robbie67 wrote:f****** hell. If he strings those sorts of games together he may be the second f****** coming. Those three talls down back tonight were superb. StKilda are f****** squibs.
I'm of the opinion that if Hooker can play the role he did tonight and Hurley can as well then Pears will be a good replacement for Fletch. Lets be honest, Fletch aint played as a FB consistently over the past 5 years more as a attacking defender/3rd man up. Pears suits that role nicely.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

Fletch can play on talls, smalls and medium sized opponents. No worries there.

The 3 bigs can be Hurley, Pears and Hooker. Fletch can play off a HBF and create... no problems at all. Hooker is also quite quick and could easily play off a HBF if the match ups work better that way or if Hooker is being beaten he can switch with Fletch.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I prefer Hurley forward but f*** he is good in defence, played an awesome game tonight and will only get better.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

In my opinion, we have in Hurley, a true Centre Half Back - this, for now, must be his position.

Pears to Full Back

Fletcher to wherever he wants to go.

Hooker, NLM, McVeigh and wait for it, Stants, to fill the holes
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Windy_Hill wrote:In my opinion, we have in Hurley, a true Centre Half Back - this, for now, must be his position.

Pears to Full Back

Fletcher to wherever he wants to go.

Hooker, NLM, McVeigh and wait for it, Stants, to fill the holes
Take NLM out of it.

Hurley must play CHB at all times, it will help him develop. Not to mention that this kid has some serious f****** talent, will be our next A-grader with Melksham and Zaharakis. Reads the play so well, perfect off either foot. Slow off the mark but makes up for it by using his smarts.

Gave KoSHITske a bath last night.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Could be the modern day Vander without the high flying leap.
Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I still reckon Hurley's best value would be in the forward line. With Pears returning next year, Fletch playing on and Hooker improving, Hurley's fantastic skills would be better employed kicking goals as we have seen he can with eiher foot outside 50m.

This ability to score outside the 50m gave opposite teams nightmares when Scotty could do it on cue and gives us another option going into the forward line. We do have a lot of nervous nellies at this range who look to pass and usually stuff it up.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Hurley was hard at it, fast and imposing last night, if he keeps that up not many goals will get kicked on him i assure you of that! love him in the forward line but can't ignore his worth in the back line!! that effort was saintsational!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

rockhole wrote:I still reckon Hurley's best value would be in the forward line. With Pears returning next year, Fletch playing on and Hooker improving, Hurley's fantastic skills would be better employed kicking goals as we have seen he can with eiher foot outside 50m.

This ability to score outside the 50m gave opposite teams nightmares when Scotty could do it on cue and gives us another option going into the forward line. We do have a lot of nervous nellies at this range who look to pass and usually stuff it up.

I think Rock, this depends on the continued development (or non-development) of Gumbleton, Neagle, Hardingham, Still, Carlisle, Daniher. We have a lot of potential Key forwards amongst that lot and and guess the ideal scenario would be that one of these guys can blossom at CHF. This would give us the luxury of having a real general, like Hurley, setting up forward attacks from accross that half back line.

Someone compared him to Van Der Haar, i think not. Glenn Jackovich...maybe...and wouldnt that be nice
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Robbie, I can't be f***** trying to find the other thread where this was discussed, but I think this game went some way to perhaps being evidence that good KPPs can get a win when the other team has a better midfield?

Sure, we moved the ball through the middle better in busts this week, but St K had more clearances and I50s, yet they were never really in the game after half of the first quarter.

Down one end we had Hurley and Fletcher, two of the best on ground, as well as Hooker doing a good job on Reiwoldt and up the other end no one had a massive game, but Neagle, Gumbleton, Hille and Ryder all took marks and 3 of them kicked 2 goals each. And Gumbleton was injured. You could almost count Monfries as a KPP, given he is a marking forward.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:
rockhole wrote: Someone compared him to Van Der Haar, i think not. Glenn Jackovich...maybe...and wouldnt that be nice
Vander inasmuch that he was equally effective at either end of the ground (Hurley is like that). Plus Vander was equally as good on his opposite side of his body (Hurley is like that). Jakovich was just good down back - and a one sided player.
Essendunny
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Rising star this week?
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

BenDoolan wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
rockhole wrote: Someone compared him to Van Der Haar, i think not. Glenn Jackovich...maybe...and wouldnt that be nice
Vander inasmuch that he was equally effective at either end of the ground (Hurley is like that). Plus Vander was equally as good on his opposite side of his body (Hurley is like that). Jakovich was just good down back - and a one sided player.
Wonder if Hurley stops off at fish and chip shops for hamburgers before the game? Sneak in a few darts as well? :wink:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

F111 wrote:Rising star this week?

Didnt he get nominated last year? And if so, is he eligible to be nominated again?
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Yes he was and yes he can.

A player can't be nominated twice in the same season, but they can be nominated over multiple seasons as long as they still meet the eligibilty criteria, being that they've played 10 or less AFL games and are 21 or under at the start of the season.

He finished last season on 10 games, so he is just eligible to be nominated again this year.