Essendon v Carlton Pre-Match Discussion

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Essendon v Carlton Pre-Match Discussion

Post by paddyl90 »

Kouta has come out and put the onus on the Blues this week, calling them "inspid" and that they "need to stand up and be more consitent". What is with the articles each week before these two teams play? Judd seems likely to play according to some articles, but a good, hard bump should help that out. It is probably the first time out of the last 6 games where we have gone in as favourites, I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

The confidence in comparison between the teams is chalk and cheese. Finally with a set structure in place the team seems to be playing with high confidence, whilst the Blues are where we were against the Eagles. We should beat them quite easily, but you never know with these games with the big crowd, prime time viewing, shit can go down. The only way we could jeopardise our chance of winning would be by making changes to the team, e.g. Welsh, Slattery, Dyson etc. I'm not sure if Welsh would be brought in to redo his work on Judd that he did comprehensively in Round 3.

Looking forward to this game, hoping for a big crowd...probably be more Essendon supporters there which is a good thing so hope everyone who can make it can get there and cheer them on against the scum

Essendon by 30.
Ossie
Club Captain

Re: Essendon v Carlton Pre-Match Discussion

Post by Ossie »

Smash Judd at every opportunity and keep Scotland and Simpson accountable and we win. That simple. The latter two are soft little pansies who collect easy possessions but when they do they can actually set up play quite well.
Get PACE involved as Carlton have none of it apart from the little blokes up forward - so get Reimers, Davey, Colyer etc involved on the ball and running out of the middle because their midfield is even more one-paced than ours.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Looking forward to seeing Jake Carlisle debut if the shoulder is OK. He played a wonderful game in the VFL on the weekend and looks a ready replacement for Gumby.

Dream scenario:

1. Carlisle gets picked at CHF
2. Carlisle kicks 3+ goals, takes a few grabs
3. Ryder, Hurley and Hooker all play well.
4. Carlton loses
5. I go to "Talking Carlton" after the game and read all about: a. how shite Carlton is, b. how Ratten is Knights' bitch, c. Essendon's embarrassing wealth of key position talent, d. Wayne Hughes' draft failures.

That would make me happy.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Not taking this one lightly

1) Carlton were embarassed against Collingwood and will come out fighting this week - just as we did against after being thumped by Collingwood
2) Our form is better, but as we know with Essendon, form is fleeting.
3) We are not good at being favourites - I think we were the underdogs in all of our recent wins against Carlton

However, we should win based on the match ups. I just dont see how Carlton can kick a winning score. If we can keep Gibbs and Judd quiet, they will struggle. Betts looks like there only forward and he was shite against Colllingwood - I expect to see McVeigh play on him and shut him down in the same manner as he did with Milne.

I think we can dominate in the ruck thus further closing down their mid-field threat.

Worried about how Jobe will pull up. He is key to us winning as he can win the all ritical clearances.

Will be another close game, I expect Carlton will come out strongly and it will be a little bit of an arm wrestle. Bombers to prevail by 8 points
brad
Top Up Player

Post by brad »

Can't believe the MCG website is predicting 67K for this game.

Our numbers have dropped dramatically and Carlton fans are furious and walking away from the game in droves too.

Reckon we'd be doing well to get 60K this week. All the neutrals will attend the Geelong V Collingwood on Saturday night.

WIN this week though and we'll pack the place out the following week Vs Collingwood.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

We will dominate the ruck and that will take a lot of the sting out of their mids. Our defence will eat their attack for breakfast, we just need to ensure a good effort from our forwards.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Everyone is shite against Collingwood(except maybe Geelong).

So I'm not reading much into Carton's result there. Again, I just hope its a game where Essendon turns up to play. Losing gumbleton might hurt our structure a little bit. I am hoping monfries continues his good form and Hille is better for the run. Quite obviously if those two are up we are a much better side.

This should be a top match, I'm tipping it will be very close, easily go to either side by a couple of goals. Carlton have more to play for(finals) but we love beating them. Essendon by 13 points.
brad
Top Up Player

Post by brad »

Players who played in Round 3 this year that WON'T or SHOULDN'T play this week:

Mark Williams (kicked 4 goals - leading goal kicker on the night)
Scott Gumbleton (injured)
Andrew Welsh (VFL)
Henry Slattery (injured)
Nathan Lovett-Murray (VFL - possible inclusion)
Ricky Dyson (VFL? injured)
Tayte Pears (injured)
Jason Winderlich (injured - possible return?)
Jake Melksham (VFL)

That's quite a few players.

Players who played in Round 18 this year that didn't play Round 3 who SHOULD remain in the team.

Michael Hurley (as good as Pears)
Brent Prismall (not as good as Winderlich)
Mark McVeigh (only in back pocket - as good as Slattery)
Ben Howlett (as good as Ricky Dyson)
Angus Monfries (loves playing the Blues - better than Mark Williams)
Alwyn Davey (better than Andrew Welsh)
Jay Neagle (could/should be as good as Gumbleton)
Kyle Hardingham (looking better than Nathan Lovett Murray)

So all in all I'd say we're going in with a better lineup. Zaharakis will be better than he was in Round 3, Colyer better for the games under his belt and Hille wasn't dominanting back then coming back from a knee reco (had poor form early in the year).

Carlton SHOULD have Judd in their team but will be without Kreuzer so I'd say that virtually balances each out.

Here's hoping for a HUGE EFFORT this week.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

These are always tough games, regardless of who is favourite they are usually 50-50. We can't make the finals but if we could harm the scums chances it would be awesome!
brad
Top Up Player

Post by brad »

robrulz5 wrote:These are always tough games, regardless of who is favourite they are usually 50-50. We can't make the finals but if we could harm the scums chances it would be awesome!
Wash your mouth out. It's never over until it's OVER!
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

brad wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:These are always tough games, regardless of who is favourite they are usually 50-50. We can't make the finals but if we could harm the scums chances it would be awesome!
Wash your mouth out. It's never over until it's OVER!
What he said.
Win 3 of the last 4 and it is game ON (until we get destroyed in WA by Fremantle in Week 1).
brad
Top Up Player

Post by brad »

Don't be sure of anything YET.

Could win 3 of 4 and play the Dogs.

Could win 4 of 4 and play the Hawks.

Could win 1 or 2 of 4 and have to contend with following the Bendigo Bombers ONLY during the finals.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

brad wrote:

Mathematically we can't make the top 4 now so playing the Dogs is out of the equation.
brad
Top Up Player

Post by brad »

you know what you can do with your obsession with the Dogs!

Dogs can and most likely WILL finish 5th (and I'll be rooting for Fremantle too).

Dogs won't beat Cats (heck they lost to Pies TWICE, Hawks, Saints and US), will be lucky to beat the Crows over there (with a farewell for McLeod) and WON'T beat Sydney in the last home game at the SCG for Captain Kirk & Paul Roos.

IF we're playing for a finals spot in Round 22 we won't lay down for them either.

Fremantle will be 4th!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

brad wrote:you know what you can do with your obsession with the Dogs!

Dogs can and most likely WILL finish 5th (and I'll be rooting for Fremantle too).

Dogs won't beat Cats (heck they lost to Pies TWICE, Hawks, Saints and US), will be lucky to beat the Crows over there (with a farewell for McLeod) and WON'T beat Sydney in the last home game at the SCG for Captain Kirk & Paul Roos.

IF we're playing for a finals spot in Round 22 we won't lay down for them either.

Fremantle will be 4th!
Obsession? Don't think so. I picked them to win the flag at the start of the year and will stick with that, they look like they are going to get their form right at the right end of the season.

They'll belt Adelaide this week.

The following week they play Geelong and you have been talking up our chances against Collingwood that weekend because of the tough match with Geelong. On that logic the Dogs are a chance against Geelong.

Sydney the following week. The Dogs have won 5 in a row against Sydney and will probably win again.

Then they play us and who knows what Essendon will turn up, hopefully the same one that turned up and beat St.Kilda!
brad
Top Up Player

Post by brad »

robrulz5 wrote:
brad wrote:you know what you can do with your obsession with the Dogs!

Fremantle will be 4th!
Obsession? Don't think so. I picked them to win the flag at the start of the year and will stick with that, they look like they are going to get their form right at the right end of the season.

They'll belt Adelaide this week.

The following week they play Geelong and you have been talking up our chances against Collingwood that weekend because of the tough match with Geelong. On that logic the Dogs are a chance against Geelong.

Sydney the following week. The Dogs have won 5 in a row against Sydney and will probably win again.

Then they play us and who knows what Essendon will turn up, hopefully the same one that turned up and beat St.Kilda!
AND on the fact we'll have an extra day break on the Pies. Cats will have an extra day over the Dogs and won't have to travel like they do.

Anyway this is a prematch thread about the Bombers Vs Blues. Think you need to start a new thread about your love for the Dogs. :lol:
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

brad wrote: Think you need to start a new thread about your love for the Dogs. :lol:

Very funny. I have no love for them at all!

Anyway they're are already a few threads about them in the AFL forum.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Hmmm... a danger game IMO ... as 80 per cent of our game performance seems to eminate from above the shoulders of the players ... I hope to hell that Judd plays this week.

If he doesn't - the players are in danger of taking their foot off the accelerator and wind up playing the insipid crud that inflames us supporters.

If he does play, even if close to 100 per cent, we are likely to dig deep and fight out a win.

sti
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

brad wrote:Don't be sure of anything YET.

Could win 4 of 4 and play the Hawks.

Could win 1 or 2 of 4 and have to contend with following the Bendigo Bombers ONLY during the finals.
Even on current form(as in against stkilda) I don't think we would beat Collingwood and Footscray. They are both playing amazing football. Both are much [ better than when we last met them.

That said, if we beat Carlton this weekend and at the same time Hawthorn beat Sydney, finals would be an entertaining thought.(as I think then it makes 10/11 wins look like a possible pass mark for the final 8)
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Ah, can we just focus on beating Carlton this week?