Clash jumper - its going to happen.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Re: Clash jumper - its going to happen.

Post by rockhole »

Cultural heritage, the legacy of physical artifacts and intangible attributes of a group or society

The current design of the jumper was first seen in 1875 some 135 years ago and as basically remained the same with a black jersey with a red sash and red and black socks. This was in fact prior to the club joiuning the Victorian Football Association in 1877.

So, for 135 years the club has competed with basically the same design which has led us to 16 flags and to one of the most successful clubs in the competition. Players and fans alike have bled for this jumper and you are arguing that changing something that has been the rallying point for players and fans for such a long time will have no bearing on our heritage or tradition.

I simply do not agree with this theory

Also, there is massive intellectual property in the club colours and the jumper and any tampering will reduce the image and the power of the current design

My reference to Collingwood is that at least Eddie fights for the traditions of his club and so should we.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gimps wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
Western Red wrote:
Worry more about the pill than the fashion - shit do we stop the boys using hair gel and coloured boots - where's all the tradionallistic bullshit over that? Did we go off our tits when they had lace up jumpers?

Hey Red, have you seen how much product King Richard used to put in his hair.

Listen, the boots, the tatts, the hair - thats the player's domain. They can do what they want there. The jumper, well that belongs to the fans.
Ha ha.. the jumper belongs to the club - we support the club.

The club is the fans Gimper, long before its the players and long after the players have gone. Playing for a club is fleeting. Supporting is a lifetime committment. The players are representing the fans everytime they go on to the field. A young kid may be drafted to play for Essendon but may never feel the same love of the club and its history as lifetime supporter< .
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Windy_Hill wrote:

The club is the fans Gimper, long before its the players and long after the players have gone. Playing for a club is fleeting. Supporting is a lifetime committment. The players are representing the fans everytime they go on to the field. A young kid may be drafted to play for Essendon but may never feel the same love of the club and its history as lifetime supporter< .
I reckon playing for essendon would be the best job in the world. They'd all have a deep love for Essendon...with perhaps the exception of Derek Kickett. (although hopefully he'd hate Sheedy more).
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

little_ripper wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:

I reckon playing for essendon would be the best job in the world. They'd all have a deep love for Essendon...with perhaps the exception of Derek Kickett. (although hopefully he'd hate Sheedy more).
Of course we would think that. Now imagine if you could play footy and Port Adelaide drafted you. You would love playing AFL footy and enjoy the team spirit, but you may not have the same passion for the Port jumper as you would had been drafted by your Essendon
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Knowing David Hille as I do, and knowing one of the three guys who died in that crash VERY well having gone to school with all those kids, I can't help but be sympathetic to what he's trying to do. =D>
But I can't support changing our jumper. Stick it on a banner, wear an armband of some sort, even change our sponsor for a night, I don't know, but not the jumper.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I love this club and the jumper, but this has the potential to save lives.

Two facts:
Guys under 25 are hardwired to do high risk things.

Seatbelts are responsible for saving more lives and preventing more injury and any other innovation in car safety.

If seeing this great club make a sacrifce causes a couple more of these people to belts on I think it is worth it.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

actually plenty of people over the age of 25 die in car accidents as well.
its a slightly higher proportion (than number of drivers). and one can suggest bad drivers will die sooner.

interestingly 30% of road deaths people are not wearing a seatbelt.

despite all this changing the jumper is not necessary. plenty of other things the club could do to with the TAC to highlight this.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

What kind of imbecile requires a football club to wear a seat belt as it's sash to motivate them to wear one in their car? FFS, if idiots are that challenged for intelligence in the first place, they would understand what the symbolic gesture is all about anyway.
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

The number of males in the ages of 16-25 are disproportionally represented in the road toll figures. There is a lot of evidence to suggest this is due to how they process risk v reward. High risk activities trigger adrenaline. When we were hunters this was an extremely valuable trait, when driving it is not. The problem is 99.9999% of times the risk taking is rewarded (by adrenaline rush) and there is no counteracting negative effect. The 0.00001 of times there is an issue could well be fatal with no opportunity to learn from it.

Add to this the mob mentality and the very simple act of putting on a seatbelt when in a car with mates could well be ignored.

The only cure is experience.

BUT if they see their heroes standing up for it there is a chance that the message might sink into some. The fact we are willing to change our jumper could add to the impact.

It is interesting they'd choose a game V Collingwood. I know the attendance and veiwing audience are the biggest part of that. But it does highlight the fact that we are the only club who voluntarily reliquished their TAC sponsorship (I still wear my SPEED KILLS jumper!) while collingwood and Richmond were stripped of theirs in disgrace.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:The number of males in the ages of 16-25 are disproportionally represented in the road toll figures. There is a lot of evidence to suggest this is due to how they process risk v reward. High risk activities trigger adrenaline. When we were hunters this was an extremely valuable trait, when driving it is not. The problem is 99.9999% of times the risk taking is rewarded (by adrenaline rush) and there is no counteracting negative effect. The 0.00001 of times there is an issue could well be fatal with no opportunity to learn from it.

Add to this the mob mentality and the very simple act of putting on a seatbelt when in a car with mates could well be ignored.

BUT if they see their heroes standing up for it there is a chance that the message might sink into some. The fact we are willing to change our jumper could add to the impact.

It is interesting they'd choose a game V Collingwood. I know the attendance and veiwing audience are the biggest part of that. But it does highlight the fact that we are the only club who voluntarily reliquished their TAC sponsorship (I still wear my SPEED KILLS jumper!) while collingwood and Richmond were stripped of theirs in disgrace.
Not sure how much of an adrenalin rush you get out of not clipping in your seat buckle. I'd say close to none. The only reason why I'd imagine people not putting a seat belt on is because they are stone cold motherfucking lazy, or they are simply brain dead.

I can see how hooning, speeding and road raging can give some neanderthals an adenalin rush, but cannot see how not putting on a seat belt can give you a "buzz".

If it's because of "mob mentality" with mates in a car - it would most likely be in conjunction with other idiotic activity such as drink driving, drug taking, speeding etc. I could not imagine a car load of maniacs saying to the driver (or other occupants) "hey, don't put on your seat belt ya sissy" while they drive calmly and beautifully to the corner shop to buy some milk....
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

By the way, hasnt the club denied its going with this seat belt jumper?
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

I hate these sort of issues, because it's the thin end of the wedge.

First we would have to wear it against St Kilda, Richmond and Melbourne

Then the Gold Coast, because they are red.

Then Carlton and Adelaide, because they are dark,

Then in all Interstate games

Then in all away games.

Then before you know it, we have been incrementally moved into a position that nobody would volunteer themselves to be in.

Now, as it stands, I have little problem with wearing either a thin strip or fat strip against the three first-mentioned clubs. Then, at a pinch, a South Melbourne-strip against St Kilda. But once we make that move there's no going back. We need an iron-clad agreement with the AFL outlining the situations where we need to wear it and the situations where we do not need to wear it, and put that in the licence agreement or some other mechanism whereby they are held accountable to that agreement.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

BenDoolan wrote:
Sismis wrote:The number of males in the ages of 16-25 are disproportionally represented in the road toll figures. There is a lot of evidence to suggest this is due to how they process risk v reward. High risk activities trigger adrenaline. When we were hunters this was an extremely valuable trait, when driving it is not. The problem is 99.9999% of times the risk taking is rewarded (by adrenaline rush) and there is no counteracting negative effect. The 0.00001 of times there is an issue could well be fatal with no opportunity to learn from it.

Not sure how much of an adrenalin rush you get out of not clipping in your seat buckle. I'd say close to none. The only reason why I'd imagine people not putting a seat belt on is because they are stone cold motherfucking lazy, or they are simply brain dead.

I can see how hooning, speeding and road raging can give some neanderthals an adenalin rush, but cannot see how not putting on a seat belt can give you a "buzz".

If it's because of "mob mentality" with mates in a car - it would most likely be in conjunction with other idiotic activity such as drink driving, drug taking, speeding etc. I could not imagine a car load of maniacs saying to the driver (or other occupants) "hey, don't put on your seat belt ya sissy" while they drive calmly and beautifully to the corner shop to buy some milk....
That is a valid point. I guess I am just trying to make sense out of why the f*** someone wouldn't put a seatbelt on.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

dom_105 wrote:Now, as it stands, I have little problem with wearing either a thin strip or fat strip against the three first-mentioned clubs.
Or just wear red shorts!
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

j-mac31 wrote:
dom_105 wrote:Now, as it stands, I have little problem with wearing either a thin strip or fat strip against the three first-mentioned clubs.
Or just wear red shorts!
Yeah why not.
We could go that far and let the rest do what they like.Leave Essendon out of it.

P.S.Fitzroy looked very flash in the brief time they wore gold shorts.