David Hille - Unrealised Potential?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

David Hille - Unrealised Potential?

Post by Windy_Hill »

A lot of focus on David Hille this week.

What shocked me is that Hill is 29 and maybe has a 2-3 seasons left. It just doesnt feel like he's been around that long which got me thinking, has he ever played to his potential or does David Hille remain nothing more than a better than average Ruckman.

I recall watching him struggle for the first 5-6 years of his career to make any real impact. The word from Sheedy was that big fellahs didnt really start coming into their own until their mid-20's. In the last 5 years there can be no doubt that Hille's influence has become more pronounced but injury and form slumps seem to have stopped him from becoming a genuine A grader.

I dont believe he has ever got close to an AA selection, but does have the one B&F. Yet one cant help but think he should have achieved more.

I do hope he can really make his mark over the next 2-3 seasons as I do believe he is capable of being more than just a "better than average" footballer
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Re: David Hille - Unrealised Potential?

Post by ealesy »

I feel Sheedy really hindered David Hille's career in the early-mid 2000s, first with his recruitment of Paul Salmon and then Matty Allan.

We had a young lump of a ruckman who was showing very promising signs and instead of backing him to step up to the challenge of becoming the number 1 ruckman, Sheeds went and recruited Salmon who had been out of the game for a year and then an old and injury prone Matty Allan.

Also he didn't recruit these blokes as backup in case David Hille struggled, he recruited them to play as the number 1 ruckman, with Hille as their backup. At the time I felt it really dented Hille's confidence and hindered his development.

Of course in 2008 he showed he has the talent to be one of the best rucks in the comp, unfortunately his past 2 seasons have been ruined by injury.

So looking over the course of his career, you couldn't really rate him as anything more than your standard good AFL ruckman, despite the fact that over the course of his career he has usually bettered Dean Cox. Struggles against Sandilands simply due to his size, he is not a great tap ruckman because he doesn't have a massive leap so he can jump over the top of Sandilands but he also can't outbody him due to his size.

All in all it is his work around the ground where is at his most valuable, never has been and never will be the greatest tap ruckman, but is still effective and can really hurt teams around the ground and when he goes forward.

His final 2-3 years will determine if he is remembered as anything more than a good honest AFL ruckman. Would love to combine Paddy Ryder atheletic abilities with David Hille's determination and attack at the ball and contest. You get David Hille's attitude, determination, aggression and desire into Paddy Ryder and then we will truly have one of the best ruckman in the competition.
CSol
Top Up Player

Post by CSol »

Agree with you Windy, Hille showed just before he did his knee that he is omongst the upper echlon of Rucks when he gets going but hasnt achieved those heights over a sustained period of time.

Cant agree with ealsy though, I thought Sheeds was right in looking for a no.1 ruck to guide Hille and assist his development. Big guys do develop late and Hille simply wasnt ready.

I felt in 2008-2009 he was was about to realise the potential we all know he has. Unfortunately an untimely knee injury grounded him and those things always take a few years to get over 100%. He has shown how invaluable he is upon his return this year and rest assured he wont be 100% over the knee yet so there is still improvement to come from a mobility perspective.

The good news is historically its proven ruckman can peak near their 30's, with Primas and Salmon excellent examples. Injury free, we may yet get to see Hille put some top class years of footy together yet. Hopefully he peaks at 30-31 when we might (I say that with the utmost apprehention) actually be a reasonable side.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Hille is a beauty when he's up and firing. Provides a strong physical presence and can kick goals.

It's a shame that he'll be playing in a poor team for the remainder of his career, unless he goes elsewhere or he can play to 34-35.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Hille just missed out on AA selection in 2008 behind Cox and Sandilands. He was right in the running until Sandilands stitched him up at Subi late in the season.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012