Once We Were Warriors

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Once We Were Warriors

Post by Windy_Hill »

I love this picture - sorry if this is a little indulgent

Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Re: Once We Were Warriors

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

hmmmm gives you goosebumps doesnt it...

We have to stay positive about our future and that the next "Lloyd and Hird" type aren't that far away... :)
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Move on Windy. You won't make old bones the way you're going...

[-X :wink:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Doctor Fish wrote:Move on Windy. You won't make old bones the way you're going...

[-X :wink:
i cant, I tried to get excited about a picture of Stanton doing warm up laps at training and I nearly gagged
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote: We have to stay positive about our future and that the next "Lloyd and Hird" type aren't that far away... :)
Don't think so, they are both one of a kind.

Although we have a few players who could become greats of the club. Guys like Hurley, Pears and Ryder (if he pulls his finger out).
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

It's getting really sad when we start dragging out pictures of past players and stories about players from 60 years ago. :roll:

Get a grip people and move on ffs.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

swoodley wrote:It's getting really sad when we start dragging out pictures of past players and stories about players from 60 years ago. :roll:

So we shouldn't be proud of our clubs great history?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

robrulz5 wrote:
swoodley wrote:It's getting really sad when we start dragging out pictures of past players and stories about players from 60 years ago. :roll:

There's nothing wrong with being proud....I'm just finding it rather pathetic that people are dragging up Coleman, Hird and Lloyd in order to find something positive about the club.

If everyone's so proud of the club...why don't you all start acting like you're proud (whilst recognising that we cannot always be at or near the top).

All the whining and moaning makes you all sound like Richmond supporters.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

swoodley wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:

There's nothing wrong with being proud....I'm just finding it rather pathetic that people are dragging up Coleman, Hird and Lloyd in order to find something positive about the club.

If everyone's so proud of the club...why don't you all start acting like you're proud (whilst recognising that we cannot always be at or near the top).

All the whining and moaning makes you all sound like Richmond supporters.
I don't think their is much wrong with looking back at past glories, if there is then what was the point in them occuring in the first place?

Richmond supporters? Hardly, don't think anyone is tearing up their membership or spitting at players and coaches.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Seriously Swoods, I always took you as a rational, sensible poster on BT but this outbreak of "scrooge like humbuggery" is really disappointing. The picture I posted was featured in todays Herald Sun and I thought, what a teriffic shot of two club legends. I even apologised for being a little "indulgent"

Yes, "once we were warriors" and I am sorry if you dont like reminiscing over past glories or former club champions. For me however, and for a lot of us, its a wonderful form of therapy that in difficult times, we can still call upon an incredible club history. It kind of reminds as to why we love Essendon.

Regrettably, the team's performances of late dont really lead me to posting "fluff pieces" about our wonderful potential. The last time I did that, my good friend Gimpo reminded me to stop looking through the red and black tinted glasses. He was right.

So, yeah, as sad as it may be, right now its somewhat comforting to remember what made us great and to know that because of this culture, we will be great again.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Windy_Hill wrote:Seriously Swoods, I always took you as a rational, sensible poster on BT but this outbreak of "scrooge like humbuggery" is really disappointing. The picture I posted was featured in todays Herald Sun and I thought, what a teriffic shot of two club legends. I even apologised for being a little "indulgent"

Yes, "once we were warriors" and I am sorry if you dont like reminiscing over past glories or former club champions. For me however, and for a lot of us, its a wonderful form of therapy that in difficult times, we can still call upon an incredible club history. It kind of reminds as to why we love Essendon.

Regrettably, the team's performances of late dont really lead me to posting "fluff pieces" about our wonderful potential. The last time I did that, my good friend Gimpo reminded me to stop looking through the red and black tinted glasses. He was right.

So, yeah, as sad as it may be, right now its somewhat comforting to remember what made us great and to know that because of this culture, we will be great again.
Each to their own Windy...as I have stated here, I'm over the nostalgia and prefer to look forward. I see nothing irrational in my earlier post but if that's how you view it, then so be it.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

swoodley wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Seriously Swoods, I always took you as a rational, sensible poster on BT but this outbreak of "scrooge like humbuggery" is really disappointing. The picture I posted was featured in todays Herald Sun and I thought, what a teriffic shot of two club legends. I even apologised for being a little "indulgent"

Each to their own Windy...as I have stated here, I'm over the nostalgia and prefer to look forward. I see nothing irrational in my earlier post but if that's how you view it, then so be it.
Vive La Difference :D
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I have no issue with seeing pics of those great men, but i see Swoods point.

We have had some great wins this year and come close in a few more, yet this is completely ignored because we have also copped a few hidings. The media jumps on it and many in here seem to believe every word they write.

I've heard people say this will effect our membership and our sponsorship. What a load of garbage. Essendon's membership will increase again. Essendon will enjoy one of, if not the best sponsorship deal of any club.

I'm not saying we don't have issues, but we are far from the passed out wino many on here seem to think we are.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Just for Swoods - A Chilling Reminder of Our Current Strength

http://csusap.csu.edu.au/~wbarke02/brent.jpg

(Farked if I know how you post images from the internet on this new fandangled Bombertalk Page??)
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

robrulz5 wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote: We have to stay positive about our future and that the next "Lloyd and Hird" type aren't that far away... :)
Don't think so, they are both one of a kind.

Although we have a few players who could become greats of the club. Guys like Hurley, Pears and Ryder (if he pulls his finger out).
Oh yeah of course Hirdy and Lloydy will always be unique and one of a kind players of the club!! I suppose i meant that we can have some other young players becoming superstars in the future.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Once We Were Warriors...................now we're just worriers.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

robbie67 wrote:Once We Were Warriors...................now we're just worriers.

Boom Tish