Coaches - who should we go for?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Coaches - who should we go for?

Post by Crazyman »

For mine, I reckon we should definately play hard for Choco either as an 'Senior Coach Assistant' or fill in for a year two to hand over the reigns...

I also reckon it might be worthwhile having a go at getting Cousins to be our midfield coach...I think he will bring a hardness to our midfield that is sorely lacking and will show the kids how one should train...not sure if he would be a great coach, but ffs we can't do any worse...
little_ripper
Club Captain

Re: Coaches - who should we go for?

Post by little_ripper »

turf the lot and go after who we really wanted all along post Sheedy.

bomber thompson.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

1. Mark Thompson
2. Leigh Matthews
3. Mick Malthouse
4. Mark Williams
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Also what about Neale Daniher?

And if we do get Choco in, does that mean we should get the rest of the Williams/Port connections? eg guys like Cahill, Chocos Brother Stephen(who Knights coached under) etc.
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Was listening to Triple M this morning and Sheeds was on.
He sounded very dissapointed as he said he built up a coaching panel who knew the ins and outs of the club, e.g. hardwick, harvey, thompson, and people he knew who could take over, then they decided to choose someone who had no idea about the goings of inside our club (Knights) and completely had to start from scratch.

I would loveeee to have Mark Williams coach us. I always liked him and believe he has a very very very smart footy brain
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

lozza89 wrote:Was listening to Triple M this morning and Sheeds was on.
He sounded very dissapointed as he said he built up a coaching panel who knew the ins and outs of the club, e.g. hardwick, harvey, thompson, and people he knew who could take over, then they decided to choose someone who had no idea about the goings of inside our club (Knights) and completely had to start from scratch.

I would loveeee to have Mark Williams coach us. I always liked him and believe he has a very very very smart footy brain
Sheeds should have done the right thing by the club and been a bit more proactive in finding his replacement. its a pity as a club we couldn't have done it the same way as Sydney or Collingwood are doing it this year with Longmire and Buckley coming through.

Mind you I thought Knights was picked because he'd spent a few years coaching Bendigo, so he knew a lot of the young guys coming through.

I do wonder if we would be better or worse under dimma though.....harvs and bomber were both unavailable.

And what about Gary O'Donnell. Is he just not up to the top job??...hes done a fair apprenticeship now under Lethal, Sheedy and now Knights
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

little_ripper wrote:

Sheeds should have done the right thing by the club and been a bit more proactive in finding his replacement. its a pity as a club we couldn't have done it the same way as Sydney or Collingwood are doing it this year with Longmire and Buckley coming through.

Mind you I thought Knights was picked because he'd spent a few years coaching Bendigo, so he knew a lot of the young guys coming through.

I do wonder if we would be better or worse under dimma though.....harvs and bomber were both unavailable.

And what about Gary O'Donnell. Is he just not up to the top job??...hes done a fair apprenticeship now under Lethal, Sheedy and now Knights
Maybe if the club was a bit more upfront with Sheeds then he would have been allowed to implement a succession plan.

Harvey was a basket case back then and has only come good this season... If he wasn't in the 8 he would be gawn from Freo already

Bomber was semi available and if we had have waited until the end of the finals as was reported to talk to him and he said no thanks then wtf would we have done?

Isn't GO'd our defensive coach? Going great guns thus far. I am sure that he publically said he didn't want the head job anyway
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Sheedy was warned a number of times that his contract wasn't going to come up for renewal. I am pretty sure he knew about it at least at the start of the 07 season.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Crazyman wrote:
I also reckon it might be worthwhile having a go at getting Cousins to be our midfield coach...I think he will bring a hardness to our midfield that is sorely lacking and will show the kids how one should train...not sure if he would be a great coach, but ffs we can't do any worse...
His Manager Nixon was beating the drum for Ben re coaching in the papers today.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

little_ripper wrote:Sheedy was warned a number of times that his contract wasn't going to come up for renewal. I am pretty sure he knew about it at least at the start of the 07 season.
Sheedy was never going to put a succession plan into place as in his mind, he was never going to leave the club.
seer
Top Up Player

Post by seer »

Criteria:
1. Has coached own team with success preferably multiple premierships.
2. Working/worked at top AFL club in 2010.
3. Up with modern game.
4. Under 50 years of age

Qualify: Mark Williams, Peter German, Leigh Tudor, Brendan McCartney. These should be on the short list.

Robert Walls who did well to pick Eade and Ross Lyon should be on the panel to choose.

Whoever chose Knights should NOT be on the panel.
New Coach, New Hope
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Mark Williams is 52
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

seer wrote:Criteria:
1. Has coached own team with success preferably multiple premierships.
2. Working/worked at top AFL club in 2010.
3. Up with modern game.
4. Under 50 years of age

Qualify: Mark Williams, Peter German, Leigh Tudor, Brendan McCartney. These should be on the short list.

Robert Walls who did well to pick Eade and Ross Lyon should be on the panel to choose.

Whoever chose Knights should NOT be on the panel.
Good list of candidates that.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Thompson left at the end of 99 I think.
Harvey left at the end of 2006 and was part of the problem. What Sheedy failed to realise that if had have swallowed his enormous ego and actually blooded kids rather than pick up hacks, yes we may have dropped down the ladder and yes his record wouldn't have looked so good, but we would have had some decent picks and probably picked up some decent players. However he was more interested in getting his 12-14 wins a season, finishing 6th and getting pick 12 rather than dropping down the ladder by playing kids and getting pick 3-5.

What Sheeds also failed to remember was that when he took over, he had a core group of kids who took him to the flags in '84-'85. Bill Stephens blooded the following premiership players
Merret
Watson
Van Der Haar
Williams
Heard
Neagle
Daniher. T
Clarke. N
Foulds

Also, Madden was there but Tuddenham might have been the coach at that time (1974). Now, I may have left off a couple of names and I didn't include N. Daniher. But even still, that is a great core group of players.

EDIT: When did Duckworth, Bradbury and Weston come to the club? I know Baker came in 1984.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

1. Mark Thompson
2. Chris Scott
3. Brenton Sanderson

I'd rather Dimma than all of them but it wont happen. We already missed that boat.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Um... M Knights?
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/d ... 5907043871

Laidley interested in a director of coaching role next season with either us or the Blues....
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote: What Sheeds also failed to remember was that when he took over, he had a core group of kids who took him to the flags in '84-'85. Bill Stephens blooded the following premiership players
Merret
Watson
Van Der Haar
Williams
Heard
Neagle
Daniher. T
Clarke. N
Foulds

Also, Madden was there but Tuddenham might have been the coach at that time (1974). Now, I may have left off a couple of names and I didn't include N. Daniher. But even still, that is a great core group of players.

EDIT: When did Duckworth, Bradbury and Weston come to the club? I know Baker came in 1984.
Some hits & misses there.

Foulds started around the same time as Madden (1974) under Tuddenham. Bill Stephen only coached for 2 years - 1976 & 1977 and blooded Van Der Haar, Nobby, Heard, Watson, Neagle.

Barry Davis (1978 - 1980) blooded Roger Merrett, Glenn Hawker, Darren Williams (for 1 game and then left), Terry Daniher, Frank Dunell and Steve Carey.

Bill Duckworth arrived in 1982
Peter Bradbury 1983
Paul Weston 1983
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Ok, I got the coaches name wrong. My main point was that Sheedy inherited a list that had a lot of potential and that were young and playing together. It wasn't just one or two players, 8-10 of them became premiership players, and mainly because they were blooded early and learned to play together. Not too many players 28 year olds from that era were brought over from another team in the VFL to help us win games. Brian Wood came in 1985, but I think that was it.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!