Alan Richardson $1.25 to be next coach.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Re: Alan Richardson $1.25 to be next coach.

Post by BERT »

Essendon nearly always go for an untried coach. Only twice have we given the job to someone who has coached before.

I would go all out for Bomber Thompson. Give him an offer he can't refuse.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

BERT wrote:Essendon nearly always go for an untried coach. Only twice have we given the job to someone who has coached before.

Money is not any sort of consideration for Thompson. Although it isn't very widely known, he is very well off independent of football - mainly from his land development interests.

He's very, very long odds to coach anyone once he's done at Geelong. Doesn't need the money or the stress that comes with AFL coaching.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
BERT wrote:Essendon nearly always go for an untried coach. Only twice have we given the job to someone who has coached before.

Money is not any sort of consideration for Thompson. Although it isn't very widely known, he is very well off independent of football - mainly from his land development interests.

He's very, very long odds to coach anyone once he's done at Geelong. Doesn't need the money or the stress that comes with AFL coaching.
Heard from an associate of Bomber last week that he has made a Motza from a land development at Geelong - and we are talking mutiples of seven figures.

Money aint a corncern for him - and if it was, we can't match what the Geelong Mafia are able to provide.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

hop wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:

Heard from an associate of Bomber last week that he has made a Motza from a land development at Geelong - and we are talking mutiples of seven figures.

Money aint a corncern for him - and if it was, we can't match what the Geelong Mafia are able to provide.
Yeah someone said he's part of a group thats developing basically a whole new suburb of Geelong and they own all the land and are literally making millions off it.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Bomber_wiz
Top Up Player

Post by Bomber_wiz »

Brad Scott has done a massive job at North. Chris Scott would have the equal dedication and resolve of his brother. He would be the man for me.
Bomber_wiz
Top Up Player

Post by Bomber_wiz »

Brad Scott has done a massive job at North. Chris Scott would have the equal dedication and resolve of his brother. He would be the man for me.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

boncer34 wrote:Yeah someone said he's part of a group thats developing basically a whole new suburb of Geelong and they own all the land and are literally making millions off it.
Was also reported in the paper that he, dodoro and some others stand to make about $10m from development contracts. Hardly a secret.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

rockhole wrote:Please not Laidley. I want someone who has ben successful, has a high profile, is a good media performer and who can kick this team into shape.
You're kidding right?

Laidley got an average list to play above its talent. They played tough footy.
Media performance is not such a big issue with a big club with lots of this: $$$.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

One name that hasn't been mentioned who i think could almost be talked about in the same breath as James Hird.
Another ex champion of the club who has recently retired, and also works in the media.
I thinkhis ideas on the game are refreshing and inciteful and to me is a coach in waiting.

His name is Matthew Lloyd.

Why hasnt' he been talked about? or does everyone think that he'd be too attack oriented due to being an ex full forward and therefore would not be suited to what the club requires in a coach.
He gave Will Young a plasma TV for his defensive game last week even though he only got 2 kicks, so its obvious he thinks long and hard about the defensive part of the game and knows how important it is.

Does anyone know of or heard of Lloyds future intentions in relation to coaching in general? It surprises me that if an ex champion like Hird gets talked about as being the saviour of our club even though he's never coached before, that Lloyd doesn't even rate a mention
"your'e like a girl standing out the front of a chemist…..Too scared to go in and get the pill!"
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

IMO ... it is a 3 horse race between Richardson (untried) and Choco and Daniher (both moved on from previous clubs).

As it is hard to seperate these candidates ... what is important - is the team of assistant coaches each candidate will bring with them... lets get some serious support ... not the failed support from unsuccessful VFL sides.

S'O'D
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Choco is now into $1.75 favourite in what appears to be a two horse race. Alan Richardson is $2.00 Hird is next at $10, and Laidley is $14. They have a bunch at just under $20 including Scott, Hinkley, Sanderson etc.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

What about Grant Thomas? Worth a try.....he's good with kids.....
Essendunny
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:What about Grant Thomas? Worth a try.....he's good with kids.....
Don't you mean he's good at making kids? :wink:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:What about Grant Thomas? Worth a try.....he's good with kids.....
Don't you mean he's good at making kids? :wink:
Well, yes...he's probably got enough to field a team :P
Essendunny
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

He has pulled out of the Port coaching job to focus on the Essendon job, but said even if he doesn't get it he will stay with us in his current development role.... which begs the question why should we risk his as coach now? experienced coach with Alan as an assistant, surely this situation is a win/win for Essendon? not sure it was real smart from Alan but i guess he must be confident.... at least his desire is with the EFC!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Jazz_84 wrote:He has pulled out of the Port coaching job to focus on the Essendon job, but said even if he doesn't get it he will stay with us in his current development role.... which begs the question why should we risk his as coach now? experienced coach with Alan as an assistant, surely this situation is a win/win for Essendon? not sure it was real smart from Alan but i guess he must be confident.... at least his desire is with the EFC!
Or, thinking laterally, EFC has already decided to bring Choco in to sure up the foundations and get the ship back on an even keel with a view to one of the assistants being in the running after 2 years. Assitants being Sanderson, Richardson and Scott. Choco can then move on to a Director of Football type role with the assistants fighting it out for the main job
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Jazz_84 wrote:He has pulled out of the Port coaching job to focus on the Essendon job, but said even if he doesn't get it he will stay with us in his current development role.... which begs the question why should we risk his as coach now? experienced coach with Alan as an assistant, surely this situation is a win/win for Essendon? not sure it was real smart from Alan but i guess he must be confident.... at least his desire is with the EFC!
I'll be glad if he sticks around. I wouldn't mind all 3 in some capacity at the club: Choco, Junkyard Dog and Richo.
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan wrote:
I'll be glad if he sticks around. I wouldn't mind all 3 in some capacity at the club: Choco, Junkyard Dog and Richo.
I seriously like the sound of that line up
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

The only way I would be happy to have Choco is if he brings Laidley with him!

I would still just prefer that Laidley got the gig!

Is it an AFL requirement that the coaches have to face the media after games etc? Why not use a front for Laidley if people are worried about his PR work (frankly couldn't give a shit about how he handles the media - are Malthouse/Williams any better?) just get some mongrel back into the team and some passion!
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

bueller wrote:One name that hasn't been mentioned who i think could almost be talked about in the same breath as James Hird.
Another ex champion of the club who has recently retired, and also works in the media.
I thinkhis ideas on the game are refreshing and inciteful and to me is a coach in waiting.

His name is Matthew Lloyd.

Why hasnt' he been talked about? or does everyone think that he'd be too attack oriented due to being an ex full forward and therefore would not be suited to what the club requires in a coach.
He gave Will Young a plasma TV for his defensive game last week even though he only got 2 kicks, so its obvious he thinks long and hard about the defensive part of the game and knows how important it is.

Does anyone know of or heard of Lloyds future intentions in relation to coaching in general? It surprises me that if an ex champion like Hird gets talked about as being the saviour of our club even though he's never coached before, that Lloyd doesn't even rate a mention
Same issues as Hird, no previous coaching experience, other interests, plus then their is also the added factors such as only being out of the game for a year, I've think I heard someone ask him and he stated that at this stage he has absolutely no interest in any coaching role, apart from what he does with the AIS.

I think it will be far more likely that James Hird will one day be President of Essendon rather than Senior coach.