McPhee...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
gringo
Club Captain

McPhee...

Post by gringo »

...played an absolute blinder yesterday. Was the second best player on the ground. He's well and truly found a role as a defensive midfielder, playing on the bigger bodies.

So he walks and we get nothing for him, and McVeigh gets another two year deal. See the Bombers Fly UP UP!!!!!!
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: McPhee...

Post by Windy_Hill »

Yeah, and he played the odd blinder for us as well.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

I've seen him play maybe half a dozen times this year and he's been disgustingly awful 3-4 of those times, serviceable once or twice, and was good yesterday. I think i was just about rolling in the aisles crying with laughter when he played us in round 2. In spite of the fact he's missed only one game this year, i still don't reckon he'll finish in the top half dozen of the Doig Medal, because his ordinary games are still absolutely awful, and he has plenty of them. It was disappointing we didn't get anything for him (i would've thought a 3rd rounder would be par for the course), but he made it a lot harder by not telling us he wanted out until after trade week. I have no regrets about him no longer being at the EFC.

Agree that giving McVeigh 2 years was an horrendous decision. One year would've been generous.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

He's had a couple of good games. He has been utter, utter sh*t more often than not though.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

f*** off gringo

more of you negative crap, crawl back into the hole you riggled out from
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Brumaz wrote:f*** off gringo

more of you negative crap, crawl back into the hole you riggled out from
As opposed to your brilliant posts, Brumaz? Just remind me who you are again?
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

still glad we don't have him on a 3 year deal. which is what he left over.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Has been his usual shitfulness for most of the year. Has only been playing as a defensive midfielder the last few weeks and been doing a pretty good job so far. Curtailed Judd last week and towelled up Hodge the other night.

Could've been the tagger we've been looking for. Who woulda thunk it?
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Are you in politics by any chance gring? McPhee plays one good game in a season and all of a sudden you act like we lost James Hird for nothing

Us getting nothing for him was his fault and his fault only. In any case I could not give a flying f*** if he won the Brownlow this year because after the way he treated our club last year we are better off without him
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

bomberdonnie wrote:Are you in politics by any chance gring? McPhee plays one good game in a season and all of a sudden you act like we lost James Hird for nothing

Us getting nothing for him was his fault and his fault only. In any case I could not give a flying f*** if he won the Brownlow this year because after the way he treated our club last year we are better off without him
I'm not saying he was a brilliant player, but he would have been handy to have around this year and could have been serviceable as a defensive midfielder. He's a hell of a lot better than Welsh who we have used in that role.

As for the club getting nothing for him - considering the way the club/Knights treated Lucas and Lloyd we can't really complain when a senior player buggers off.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

McPhee also did a massive job on Judd.

I think McPhee's biggest problem when he was here, was expectations. In 03-04 he looked like he was going to become an A grader and never got there.

Harvey has done an amazing job of reinventing players. Tarrant and now McPhee both finding new roles.

iirc, one of the reasons he left was because he wanted more of a run in the midfield. Maybe he was right.

I do recall there were many who not to sad to see hm go though.
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

Wouldn't mind having him.Lot better than plenty this year.
Probably pissed off with Knights like everyone else.
Good luck to him.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

I am still glad McPhee left. While he has a bit of talent and is a good athlete, the guy is a moron. Even in his good games, he always does a couple of stupid things that you'd be upset about an 18 year old doing. Freo is a good place for McPhee, they have enough talent that he can be given specific simple tasks, and he can make a contribution. When he does have a brain fade, Mundy, Pavlich, Hill, or Morabito can usually cover him. It's not a luxury we can afford.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

robbie67 wrote:I am still glad McPhee left. While he has a bit of talent and is a good athlete, the guy is a moron. Even in his good games, he always does a couple of stupid things that you'd be upset about an 18 year old doing. Freo is a good place for McPhee, they have enough talent that he can be given specific simple tasks, and he can make a contribution. When he does have a brain fade, Mundy, Pavlich, Hill, or Morabito can usually cover him. It's not a luxury we can afford.
Thats a great point, more often than not McPhee's brain fades cost us because he was playing as a key position backman and there was no one around good enough to pick up the pieces. McPhee definately isnt in Freos best 6-9 players so the pressure is definately off him and he can focus on simply playing his role in the team.

Good on him I say... although it is still hilarious when he has his McPhee moments!!
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

If there was any doubt in your mind as to whether Mcphee was a dog or not, the following atricle will put the argument to rest. Ignore the fact that it is not the actual reason behind him leaving.
This is why I joined the Dockers: McPhee

Adam McPhee's belief that Fremantle were closer to winning a premiership than Essendon was a key factor behind him changing clubs at the end of last year.

The star Docker was one of the best players in the team's 30-point win over Hawthorn on Saturday and it was the first time he had played in a winning final since helping Essendon beat Fremantle in 2003.

The 27-year-old said he had been desperate to finish his career with team success.

While Essendon played finals last year and Fremantle finished 14th, he felt the Dockers had more potential than the Dons and that convinced him to make the move.

"This is what you play AFL football for. It's been a long time coming. I've played in four finals and that's not a lot in 10 years," McPhee said.

"This was a good step forward. To play in another final and be involved in September is terrific. Hopefully there's more to come.

"I saw the talent in the group, there's no doubt about that. That was one of the big reasons why I came here. I'm coming to the twilight part of my career and I wanted to have some success and walk away from the game, if I could, with a premiership at some stage.

"I didn't think that was going to happen in my short time left at Essendon. I saw the talent here. I didn't realise we were going to be in the position that we are right now, but I'm really rapt and excited."

September hasn't been kind to the 189-game veteran. Essendon lost their last two finals he played in by 39 and 96 points. He missed the two finals matches in 2004 after hurting a hamstring late in the season.

McPhee played a key role in Saturday's win. He tagged Norm Smith medallist Luke Hodge and restricted Hawthorn's chief playmaker to just 13 possessions. Hodge's season average leading into the match was 25.

That effort continued McPhee's run of playing on the game's elite midfielders and quelling their influence.

He played on Chris Judd in round 22 and is likely to take on either Gary Ablett or Paul Chapman in Friday night's semifinal at the MCG.

McPhee said he'd been excited about playing on Hodge.

"We all know he's a terrific inside player. He's strong and is probably the barometer of their side," McPhee said.

"I knew I had a good challenge. I wanted the challenge. I knew I had it on Wednesday so I set myself to match him in close and then try to get him on the outside."

McPhee played as a forward against Geelong in round three, so he is yet to experience playing on Ablett. The Brownlow medallist had 33 possessions and kicked four goals against the Dockers that day and was also influential when the teams clashed during the pre-season.

Ryan Crowley has been asked to tag Ablett in the past, but McPhee said he would be happy to do the job.

"Whoever I get is going to be a terrific player," McPhee said. "I won't shy away from the challenge.

"If I can do that job for the team, I'd be rapt. Having Ablett or Chapman would be great."
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

The 27-year-old said he had been desperate to finish his career with team success.

While Essendon played finals last year and Fremantle finished 14th, he felt the Dockers had more potential than the Dons and that convinced him to make the move.
This made me laugh.

As it did when Sheedy made the same statement 12 months ago.

But if the idiot was serious about finishing a career with a "successful team", why not go to a club who is hovering around the premiership cup at the time i.e Geelong, St. Kilda, Collingwood? Reason: because those clubs were simply not interested in him - particularly a 3 year deal. I don't think any other coach / club was interested in him other than Harvs - who has a taste for ex-Bomber junk.

And even so, the moron gave his reason last year as "I want an opportunity to play in the midfield". But we all know it was all about securing 3 more years of AFL (because under the Knights regime - senior guys were under heavy scrutiny), and secure more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Essendunny
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

A fine tagging job on Selwood tonight. keeping Selwood to a measly 33 touches.

While racking up 7 of his own with less than 50% effectiveness.

=D>
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Freo - McPhee
Ess - nothing

good trade
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Jazz_84 wrote:Freo - McPhee
Ess - nothing

good trade

or you could look at this way,

Freo = supporter's worst nightmare!
Essendon = ah, peace at last!
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Hmmmm...

At least with McPhee leaving .. we don't have his dad posting anymore in here or other EFC forums

Bonus 8)

s'dreams
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)