Coach Selection

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Coach Selection

Post by hillchaser »

Sismis wrote:Might have something to do with the fact that after he took the reins, Port won 5/7 games as opposed to the previous incumbent (who is the preffered coach of 2/3 of the people on this site...) had won 5/15.
Simis .. strangely enough I agree with you. I can't understand what people are on about with Choco or Laidley.

Laidley has very good strategic skills but seem the type that can really motivate players have them playing for him... has a very abrasive personality and I don't think to many players are willing to die in the trenches for him.

Choco has been unsuccessful lately ... why should be risk him tyring to find his mojo at Essendon.

We need to find a young coach like Hardwick who has already worked in a successful system who has the energy and skills to build this team. If Brett Kirk was on the market I would employee him immeadiately as an assistant.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Re: Coach Selection

Post by Jazz_84 »

Mark Williams already said they would win more games then they would lose towards the end of the season as they get their better players back from injury
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

The more I think about it the more I want Chris Scott, with Laidley and/or Williams as assistant coaches.

He ticks the most boxes for mine, successful playing history, played under one of the best coaches of modern times, is tough uncompromising, would not tolerate any of the soft shit that so many at our club have been putting in, players would soon learn to play tough accountable football if they wanted a game. Players would so learn how to stick a tackle, how to shepherd, how to scarifice yourself to help a team-mate. Has been involved heavily in Freo's turn around from basketcases to having one of the most promising young lists in the competition.

The only black mark he has is a lack of coaching experience and success, hence why I would want at least one of Laidley or Williams on his coaching panel.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

ealesy wrote:The more I think about it the more I want Chris Scott, with Laidley and/or Williams as assistant coaches.

He ticks the most boxes for mine, successful playing history, played under one of the best coaches of modern times, is tough uncompromising, would not tolerate any of the soft shit that so many at our club have been putting in, players would soon learn to play tough accountable football if they wanted a game. Players would so learn how to stick a tackle, how to shepherd, how to scarifice yourself to help a team-mate. Has been involved heavily in Freo's turn around from basketcases to having one of the most promising young lists in the competition.

The only black mark he has is a lack of coaching experience and success, hence why I would want at least one of Laidley or Williams on his coaching panel.

Williams will want 500K a year, thats one expensive assistant. If you get him, imo you get him as head coach or you don't bother. although i like scott too.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

little_ripper wrote: Williams will want 500K a year, thats one expensive assistant. If you get him, imo you get him as head coach or you don't bother. although i like scott too.
I dont particularly want Williams in any role, but please tell me what the f*** has money got to do with it? We have more than we are allowed to spend. If it costs $4 million to have the right set up to win premierships, that's what we should spend. Our "business" should be the business of winning, nothing else.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

robbie67 wrote:
little_ripper wrote: Williams will want 500K a year, thats one expensive assistant. If you get him, imo you get him as head coach or you don't bother. although i like scott too.
I dont particularly want Williams in any role, but please tell me what the f*** has money got to do with it? We have more than we are allowed to spend. If it costs $4 million to have the right set up to win premierships, that's what we should spend. Our "business" should be the business of winning, nothing else.
Correct. And lets not forget we just threw $1m at Matthew Knights to f*** off.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

robbie67 wrote:
Meh, Williams is unemployed with no immediate prospects. He will take a haircut, trust me
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

robbie67 wrote:
you reckon a footy club can afford to spend 4 million a year, every year just on coaching staff?

faaark me. i know afl footy clubs pockets are deep, but that deep? The salary cap is about 8 million dollars for the entire senior playing list.(thats for 44 footballers).

i think there is a limit eh, footy clubs even as big as essendon are not bottomless pits of money.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

We have plenty of money. Of course I was exagerating when talking about $4m, but the point remains, we cant spend it on paying our players, we should be spending it somewhere else. We were cheap skates when it came to the last coach, and where did that get us? If you dont believe me about how much money we have, have a think about what the last TV rights were worth, and then also think about how many people go every Anzac Day, and what sort of revenue you think that generates? We are one the four richest clubs in the land, with one of the worst facitlities, and one of the lowest coaching payrolls.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Just go to the annual report and you'll see how much Essendon has in its coffers
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Do you really reckon Williams is the sort of character that would make for a good assistant coach? I reckon he might be a disaster. the blokes a walking egomaniac. i think if we get him its head coach or nothing.

I think the only reason EFC haven't announced a head coach, is that they are waiting for the chance to interview a candidate from the 4 sides still left competing for the flag.

My money would be on Bomber Thompson(as a long shot) or perhaps one of his assistants(Sanderson?). Geelong is definetly the side we want to raid for footy brains(imo).

and yeah efc makes a lot of dough. but i really dunno if filling a coaching panel full of highly paid quasi head coaches will necessarily work. IMO you pick the best candidate as head coach, then let him choose his assistants.(perhaps with some help).

you wanna spend a lot of money on a footy club, then i reckon ensuring windy hill has the best facilities is the first place to do so. At least thats a sure bet.

whoever efc pick as head coach it will be a gamble and no guarantee of success.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

We are apparantly building a 30 mil facility over the next three years. WTF is happening with this?!!!!

The board should not be creating up the coaching set-up. Surely that is the head coach's area. We need someone who has a complete plan. The head coach needs to have control of the football dept.

This is one of the reasons I so pissed off about how we got rid of Knights. We actually had a good plan. We do a reveiw of EVERYTHING. ATM with all of the "Ding dong the witch is dead", I think there are too many other issues which may be overlooked. Whatever you think of Knights, he sure as shit was not the be all and end all of our issues.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I am not sure a newly appointed Head Coach is necessarily the best person to be selecting the assistant coaches. Shouldnt the process for selection of these roles be equally robust as selecting the Head Coach himself.

Being a good coach does not necessarily make you a solid judge of the attributes and character required to fill an assistants role.

Yes, consult with the head coach but I do not believe the assistants should be selected at his sole discretion.