Robson fuels Hird coaching speculation

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Robson fuels Hird coaching speculation

Post by Gyoza »

*Watch this space...* :shock:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/w ... 5927000617
"I did say to James, and I only met James 12 months or so ago - he's a wonderful young man building a fantastic career on the sporting globe ... (but) I did say to him that until he stops drawing breath, and if he hasn't coached Essendon, he's going to keep getting asked that question," Robson said.

"I don't know if it's every Monday night On The Couch, because it might get a bit boring, but, oh no, at some stage he says he wants to do it, whether it's now, who knows?

"But watch this space, the next couple of weeks is going to be pretty exciting."

Surprised noone picked this one up earlier in the day.
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Re: Robson fuels Hird coaching speculation

Post by Rover 7 »

Just more grist for the overburdend rumor mill.
Robson is playing the media game very well.No more of this "process" stuff.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Well, where there is smoke, there is fire.

And right now, I reckon there is a bush fire blowing across the hallowed turf of Windy Hill

I didnt think it would be possible, but I have an ever growing suspicion that a Bomber Thompson/James Hird partnership is soon to be unveiled
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

Windy_Hill wrote:Well, where there is smoke, there is fire.

And right now, I reckon there is a bush fire blowing across the hallowed turf of Windy Hill

I didnt think it would be possible, but I have an ever growing suspicion that a Bomber Thompson/James Hird partnership is soon to be unveiled
The way this thing is building, anything less is going to be received as a let down. Choco - who ????.
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

uptick wrote:

The way this thing is building, anything less is going to be received as a let down. Choco - who ????.
Which is what makes me think that there is something going on as otherwise, the club will have a horrible time trying to sell anything less to the members and supporters.

If Hird or Thompson aint happening, then the club needs to act as soon as it knows this to put expectations back in their right place.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

On Footy Classified they said a lot while actually saying nothing at all.

Would certainly suggest that if something like this is to happen there are still a few miracles to pull together just yet.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

This would make Me Happy. Proven coach + Hirdy.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

If this doesn't eventuate I await more members and supporter whingeing....until its official don't get your hopes up. I can't take anymore supporter furore. Just let the board / selection panel take the time the need to make the right decision they believe is correct. Hope we have a more united front this time too. I await the news...
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

At this risk of sounding like a broken record, this has disaster written all over it.

Hird isn't a coach's @sshole at present.

Laidley and Choc are not going to want to be assistants and even if they do agree, it will be for the money.

Thompson is no chance.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Filthy wrote:Mmmm, first time I hope Caro is right. 8)

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... 15lc0.html
If Caro says it, it must be true!!. There is too much momentum behind this for nothing to happen.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I think the Williams/Hird combination will happen.

However, I will love to know why Hird has changed his mind? I would hate to think we have changed his mind, you have to want to be a coach, not persuaded into it.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

Dunno about that.
The last reluctant applicant was Coleman and he turned out all right.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Rossoneri wrote:I think the Williams/Hird combination will happen.

However, I will love to know why Hird has changed his mind? I would hate to think we have changed his mind, you have to want to be a coach, not persuaded into it.
Assuming he has changed his mind - seems to me this was his plan all along?
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Story is that he had a change of mind/heart while away/on the flight back from his trip to New York, rumour has it that just about the first thing he did when he landed back in Melbourne was to call David Evans.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

What's the weather like in fairyland?
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

The real story being that he never actually lost interest in the job, it was just when he made his ill advised comments while Knights was still in the job and the season was still going, he did not want to appear to have knifed Knights in the back and have blood on his hands, so he came out with public comments about no longer being interested in the job in the immediate short term.

Then when the club sacked Knights he couldn't very well turnaround and then declare he was interested again. Hence the story now being about him changing his mind again during his trip to New York.

Was always interested, just didn't want to be seen as having stabbed Knights in the back, really he opened his mouth a couple of weeks early. It was obvious Knights was a dead man walking, he should've just waited until his inevitable sacking once the season was over and then there would have been no need for this whole charade.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Rover 7 wrote:Dunno about that.
Reckon the game might have changed a bit in 50 years.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

ealesy wrote:The real story being that he never actually lost interest in the job, it was just when he made his ill advised comments while Knights was still in the job and the season was still going, he did not want to appear to have knifed Knights in the back and have blood on his hands, so he came out with public comments about no longer being interested in the job in the immediate short term.

Then when the club sacked Knights he couldn't very well turnaround and then declare he was interested again. Hence the story now being about him changing his mind again during his trip to New York.

Was always interested, just didn't want to be seen as having stabbed Knights in the back, really he opened his mouth a couple of weeks early. It was obvious Knights was a dead man walking, he should've just waited until his inevitable sacking once the season was over and then there would have been no need for this whole charade.

Hirdy opening his mouth about his wish to coach Essendon whilst Knights was in the job was possibly one of his best ever "hard ball gets"

If Knights wasnt dead man walking before that, he certainly was afterwards. And no matter what happens with our coaching selction going forward, Hirdy may well have indirectly won us a few more games off his own "boot".

Essendon was a catastrophe under the Knights regime.
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

Ossie wrote:
Rover 7 wrote:Dunno about that.
Reckon the game might have changed a bit in 50 years.
Indeed it has.
But modest Champs are modest Champs in any era particularly at the Bombers.