Houli

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Houli

Post by little_ripper »

needs a thread of his own as he is the one bomber looking like leaving.

What I have heard is that he is all but gone to Richmond on a two year, 600K deal.

Not sure what we will get in return from the tiges? What do you think he is worth?
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: Houli

Post by j-mac31 »

Martin, J. Reiwoldt or Cotchin.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Seriously though, nothing on Richmond's list (that they would be willing to give up) excites me much, although they must have a few young kids worth a look. I don;t know enough about their list.

Perhaps a 3 way deal with Adelaide? Tambling very likely to go there.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Tigers prob more likely to trade their #29 pick now as they have picked up a late first round pick from the Crows for Tambling (Bock's compensation selection)
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

I think pick 29 is what we want from the tiges, and even then it is not as good as it sounds, due to the compensatory picks granted for the gold coast(there has been 6) that can be used after the first round, therefore it could in reality mean its a 'real' pick of 35.

I think Richmond must have only offered pick 46.

http://www.aflspace.com/2010-afl-draft- ... th-trades/

not such a good year to be swapping players for picks(at least anything but a first rounder).
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

So no chance of him staying?
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

sconsey wrote:So no chance of him staying?
What i've read is that Houli has a 200-250K per year contract offer from the dons and a 300K per year offer from the tiges.

So if that are both clubs last offers, the onus is on houli, does he want to give up 50K or so a year and stay with the dons or go to the tiges for the extra money?

in absence of other interest, Essendon may just take richmonds best offer, even if its under the odds. that'd be last minute deal to avoid getting nothing and a player in the PSD. that or give houli a pay rise.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Could be a good player if he was allowed to settle into the team and a role. But don't think its worth crying over if we lose him...
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

If he is not interested in staying with the Dons after seeing the new regime put in place, then f*** him off. I liked the look of Houli but as reported elsewhere, did not have a break out game whereby you could sit back and think that he had a great future.

He was treated badly by Knights but all that is in the past. He has the chance of being part of a major rebuild at Windy Hill and if he cannot appreciate the chance that Hird will give him, then he is better off elsewhere.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

rockhole wrote:If he is not interested in staying with the Dons after seeing the new regime put in place, then f*** him off. I liked the look of Houli but as reported elsewhere, did not have a break out game whereby you could sit back and think that he had a great future.

He was treated badly by Knights but all that is in the past. He has the chance of being part of a major rebuild at Windy Hill and if he cannot appreciate the chance that Hird will give him, then he is better off elsewhere.
I know I'd want to hang around with Hird at the Helm!
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Maybe the damage Knights has done to this players attitude towards the club is too deep to heal.

I really want Bachar to stay but really 20odd games in 4 years doesn't warrant the $300K per year Richmond are offering him.

Would in this case give more time and care to Colyer, Melsham, Zaharakis, Howlett and co.

So let's not let him walk to Richmond via the PSD, something is better than nothing.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

From the afl website

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
Meanwhile, Richmond remains intent on trading for Carlton's Shaun Grigg and Essendon's Bachar Houli but football manager Craig Cameron said there was still some way to go before any deals were completed.

Both players have agreed to come to the Tigers but Cameron said the Blues and Bombers were yet to name their respective prices.

"When two young players want to leave their clubs and the clubs want to hold on to them, it makes those deals drag on a little bit longer," he said.

"Naturally those clubs will want to talk to those players about remaining and clearly they're their players so the club is within its right to do that.

"We'll continue to talk to those clubs over the next few days."

Looks like he is gone! Pick 29?Straght swap? Surely if they're willing to pay over market price for him he has to be worth pick 29
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

well he was drafted with pick 47 a couple of years ago, but has had a bit of development in the few years at windy hill.

I don't reckon that richmond will give up 29. they don't really have too. it is likely houli would last until their first PSD pick. (unless GC or WC want to spend 300K on him a year).
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

Well we cant be giving him 300k per season and I am a fan of his. But I would of rather signed up Houli than give the like of slattery, welsh 2 more years(i know welsh got his 2 years last year BTW too)
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

James Hird seen to be having lunch with Houli today..... he must really want him to stay
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Jazz_84 wrote:James Hird seen to be having lunch with Houli today..... he must really want him to stay
Apparently Houli's manager was on the radio saying he will definetly be leaving windy hill.

Its just a matter of Essendon trying to get the best deal done possible for him.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Yeah, he's GAWNE. Hopefully we can get something for him. We've been one-all with Richmond in recent years. We got Zantuck and they got Hislop. Hopefully we can go 2-1 up with Houli as far as duds go.

And no, Matty Knights doesn't come into this equation.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Not trading him and putting him in the PSD means that Essendon will have an earlier PSD pick(as richmond will use up their PSD pick on Houli). Which might be worth more than a 3rd or 4th round national draft pick.(depending on who looks like going into the PSD). Particularly as the only picks above us will then be Gold Coast and West Coast.(both interstate sides).

So IMO the bombers should take their time with this one if they can't get #29.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

little_ripper wrote:Not trading him and putting him in the PSD means that Essendon will have an earlier PSD pick(as richmond will use up their PSD pick on Houli). Which might be worth more than a 3rd or 4th round national draft pick.(depending on who looks like going into the PSD). Particularly as the only picks above us will then be Gold Coast and West Coast.(both interstate sides).

So IMO the bombers should take their time with this one if they can't get #29.

The Age is saying exactly this is why the club is prepared to let Houli go for nothing.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

yar and that same age article suggests WC and GC may not participate in the PSD.

So if we force Richmonds hand to recruit Houli, then Essendon may have the first live pick.

of course that is only useful if there is anyone decent to recruit in the PSD.