Brendan McCartney

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Brendan McCartney

Post by Gimps »

Has joined the Dons.. good to see we are chasing great talent.. coaching payments will be up 300% next year :D

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 5937588914
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Re: Brendan McCartney

Post by sconsey »

Sweet. Anyone got any information on him? Next in line, Bomber Thompson! Lets just hope with a complete overhaul within our football department we can find unity, and create the next Essendon Empire!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Thomson already bringing people over, next Selwood :lol:
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Jazz_84 wrote:Thomson already bringing people over, next Selwood :lol:
Nah lets get Mark Blake, we need another ruckman ;)
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Great addition.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

This is all I could find.. I know Leigh Tudor (former Cats asst & reserves coach/ st kilda asst/ now swans asst I think). He rates this bloke very highly.

BRENDAN McCARTNEY, GEELONG

BRENDAN McCartney's playing days for Newtown in the Geelong Football League ended in his mid 20s.
"I had crook groins, but didn't know what they were," he said. "They'd call it OP now, I guess."
To compensate, he ran competitively, meantime teaching and coaching the football team at Chanel College, now closed.
He says he "drifted" into coaching, but it was a drift of continental proportions.
He guided Ocean Grove to four successive Bellarine Football League premierships, so catching the eye of Richmond coach Jeff Gieschen, who in 1998 made him Tigers reserves coach.
He was not overwhelmed — he knew others had coached in the AFL system without playing in it — but he was realistic.
"I had to make sure I worked hard and improved or I wasn't going to last very long." He told his wife he would give himself a year.
In 2000, Mark Thompson became Geelong coach and took McCartney with him back down the highway.
Prompted by former Geelong great and Falcons official Michael Turner, he began to speak at coaching courses.
"It made me think more about the game. Country footy isn't as tactical. It's handling people, trying to get them to commit to playing team footy when they've got a busy lifestyle.
"League footy, there's a lot more structure to it. Taking those courses made me think more about how the game should look, and how it should be played."
McCartney is on the ground on training nights, working the midfielders with Nigel Lappin, and in the box on match days.
His low profile suits him fine.
"Once you get to a footy club, you quickly understand that you've just got a role to play, to help the players to do their best," he said.
"That's all that matters. I bought into that really quickly."
McCartney works across Geelong's list. Mostly, he schools younger players in the ways of Geelong and AFL football, delighting each time the penny drops.
"But even the very best players still need help at certain times," he said. "We don't forget that."
Whether or not his name comes to readily to the mind of watching fans is irrelevant to him. "I couldn't care less," he said.
McCartney is 48. He keeps fit by running with Lappin and Brenton Sanderson, walking his dogs, and throwing himself in on the training track.
"It's an active job. You don't coach very well from an office," he said. "You've got to get out there on the shop floor with the players."
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

He was awarded Best Assistant Coach of 2010 by the AFLPA
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Gatsid wrote:He was awarded Best Assistant Coach of 2010 by the AFLPA
yeah a very quiet award.... i had no idea it was even a thing
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Jazz_84 wrote:
Gatsid wrote:He was awarded Best Assistant Coach of 2010 by the AFLPA
yeah a very quiet award.... i had no idea it was even a thing
Well, it ain't a brownlow or Rising Star is it...hahahahahahahahahahaha

Still, glad to have a guy of what appears to be his character and ability on board :)
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Looks like he will be a good addition. :D
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

This is shaping up to be one hell of a team, with the icing on the cake yet to come.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Out:
Knights
O'Donnell
Hickmott
Richardson
Campo
Prescott

In:
Hird
Goodwin
Wellman
McCartney
Bomber (shhhhh.....don't tell Caroline yet)
??? -

Hirdy may not have experience but at least some of the assistant do (and successful experience as well)
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I cannot wait to see what these guys will do in terms of gameplan. It really is an opportunity to be innovative.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Would be even better if these guys weren't our coach and were on our team right now in their prime! Bomber, Hird and Goodwin in the engine room, and Not-a-well-man running off the HBF...But I'm sure they'll be just as effective in the coaches box!
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Dear Sean Wellman, mould Tatye Pears in your image.

Sean Wellman was one of the most underrated players of the last 15-20 years. Played very similarly to James Clement of Collingwood, did it just as well, if not better, and got none of the accolades that Filth bastard did.

Could never understand why the media constantly feel over themselves to pump up James "Hands in the Back" Clement, anyone else not surprised by the fact that he retired a few years earlier than everyone expected him to, not long after that rule was intorduced.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I was really gutted when Wellman retired (at least 2 years to early) and if I recall, finished his last game on the bench injured after having to walk the boundary to get to the bench.

Fletcher to Wellman from the kickoff was enacted on so many occasions and so many goal scoring moves started from that set up with Wellman tearing through half back and the centre to set up our forwards. He was a great loss and I am rapt to see him back at Windy Hill.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

rockhole wrote:I was really gutted when Wellman retired (at least 2 years to early) and if I recall, finished his last game on the bench injured after having to walk the boundary to get to the bench.

Fletcher to Wellman from the kickoff was enacted on so many occasions and so many goal scoring moves started from that set up with Wellman tearing through half back and the centre to set up our forwards. He was a great loss and I am rapt to see him back at Windy Hill.
Absolutely agree!
Essendunny
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

It's a bit early to start pulling each other off guys....
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Old mate wrote:It's a bit early to start pulling each other off guys....
lots of references to masturbation amongst posters here ever since Hird came back to Windy Hill - [-X
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Old mate wrote:It's a bit early to start pulling each other off guys....
But maybe before the actual games start is the only chance we will get? :P

Pull away guys (and girls?) :D