Nowhere to hide

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Nowhere to hide

Post by rockhole »

With the coaching team now almost at full strength and a line up that would be the envy of the competition, and a board that clearly has teeth and takes no prisoners, the playing list will come under extraordinary pressure to perform.

There will be absolutely no reason for mediocrity or less than 100% effort. If I was a young bloke at the club, I would be jumping out of my skin to show the new regime what I have got knowing that I will receive the best guidance and coaching available. However, for the older guard, I would be making sure that the coaching staff was fully aware that I was giving 100% as there will be no where to hide at Windy Hill for anyone who is not totally committed.

There will be a lot of questions answered about players next season who regularly come under criticism on these pages as they will be totally exposed and if not able to perform at a required level, they will be gone.

Hirdy needs a season to go through this evaluation process as he made it clear he would not slash and burn from the outset. He may need to make some very hard decisions regarding former team mates but it looks like almost everyone will be given the chance to show what they've got and if it is not up to scratch, then see ya later.

I have started the 2011 countdown already!!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
little_ripper
Club Captain

Re: Nowhere to hide

Post by little_ripper »

Hird needs to find both goal kickers and a more defensive game plan....we leaked goals.

Our best goal kicker was Angus Monfries, he kicked 24 for the season(48th ranked in the competition).

For a side supposedly rich in marking KPP, that is embarrassing.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Can't wait till the start of the season! Going to be very exciting! Will be the first time in a longtime everyone will have to earn their spot! Im excited!
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Hmm. why do you assume everyone will earn their spot in the team Scon?

I mean the previous two Essendon coaches clearly played favourites, why wouldn't Hirdy? I mean he did play his entire career under Sheedy, who always played favourites.

His entire football education to date has told him playing favourites is an acceptable part of coaching.

I hope that is not correct, although I expect all coaches play favourites to some degree, you've just got to hope that their playing of favourites isn't completely delusional and they aren't playing guys who clearly aren't up to AFL standard.
Last edited by ealesy on Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

[quote="ealesy"]Hmm. why do you assume everyone will earn their spot in the team Scon?

I mean the previous two Essendon coaches clearly played favourites, why wouldn't Hirdy? I mean he did play his entire career under Sheedy, who always played favourites.

quote]

I think that Hird will go out of his way not to succumb to that line of thinking. Playing favourites as you point out has been a popular pastime at Windy Hill and I think that Hird is astute enough, especially with all the experience he will have at his right hand, not to fall for that policy.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

I think it'd be fair to say that Hird didin't become a succesful business man by being a nice guy. Im pretty sure he would do the same in a football environment, especially for a team that he bleeds for!

Friends or Foes, the moment he gets the guys on the training track I'd say that memories will be wiped clean, everyone will have a clean slate. If not, then he shouldn't have taken up the coaching position. Footy is a business these days, and if you can't make the hard decisions then you shouldn't be pulling the strings. I have faith in him that he will not reward mediocrity.

He was a fair captain, I have no doubt he will be a fair coach. Just think of the times he showed leadership and pulled several guys in line, such as Cupido and Lovett...In the long term they couldn't listen, but in the heat of the battle, they always reacted to him! Now with him being coach he has more control over the squad. I think he'll be a very good coach!
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Yeah, don't expect him to play favourites in the same way Sheeds or Knights did, just playing Devil's Advocate.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

ealesy wrote:Yeah, don't expect him to play favourites in the same way Sheeds or Knights did, just playing Devil's Advocate.
Stimulates conversation :P
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

rockhole wrote:With the coaching team now almost at full strength and a line up that would be the envy of the competition, and a board that clearly has teeth and takes no prisoners, the playing list will come under extraordinary pressure to perform.

There will be absolutely no reason for mediocrity or less than 100% effort. If I was a young bloke at the club, I would be jumping out of my skin to show the new regime what I have got knowing that I will receive the best guidance and coaching available. However, for the older guard, I would be making sure that the coaching staff was fully aware that I was giving 100% as there will be no where to hide at Windy Hill for anyone who is not totally committed.

There will be a lot of questions answered about players next season who regularly come under criticism on these pages as they will be totally exposed and if not able to perform at a required level, they will be gone.

Hirdy needs a season to go through this evaluation process as he made it clear he would not slash and burn from the outset. He may need to make some very hard decisions regarding former team mates but it looks like almost everyone will be given the chance to show what they've got and if it is not up to scratch, then see ya later.

I have started the 2011 countdown already!!!

Dont worry Rocky, plenty in here will find numerous excuses for them. They always do.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

162 Days rocky vingertje (23 weeks tomorrow :) )
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Sheedy played favourites because his ego got the better of him - he thought he had the Midas touch after a long period of success

Knights never played favourites, he just made dumb decisions based on an incredible lack of self belief and insecurity. He was too proud to listen to others for fear of making himself look dumb. In life the smartest people are those who seek the opinions of others.

Hird, I am sure, will be an entirely different beast to both Knights and Sheedy. The thing that intrigues me about Hird and what he brings to the role is the fact that he has spent three years away from the game running an incredibly successful company. He would have learned some unique management skills in this environment that most coaches simply dont possess.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

JumboPaddy wrote:162 Days rocky vingertje (23 weeks tomorrow :) )

..............and counting!!!!!!