List changes

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

List changes

Post by robrulz5 »

Ben Howlett – Promoted to the senior list
Christian Bock – Delisted
Jason Laycock – Delisted
Tyson Slattery – Delisted
Michael Still – Delisted
John Williams (rookie) – Delisted
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Re: List changes

Post by lozza89 »

Bit stiff for T Slatts to get delisted, but agree with the rest!
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

lozza89 wrote:Bit stiff for T Slatts to get delisted, but agree with the rest!
Extremely stiff. I know he only played, what, two games, but he showed a bit I thought.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Wonder if the Hunchback Of Notre Dame (Bock) will get picked up by anyone else. Think he'll be handy when he fills out.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Really don't understand the delisting of Still.

Why woul you draft an, undeveloped, underage bloke in the 2008 draft in the 3rd round, because you expect him to be a top 10 pick if he plays another year of TAC football, in the knowledge that due to school commitments he will barely be able to play in his first year, and that he would only be pushing for regular senior games after 3-4 years on the list.

Given that, why would you delist him only after 2 years? Makes no sense, unless the recruiters got it absolutely wrong and he is a complete spud (can't comment because I really haven't seen him play), or we think he is a little further away from being ready for senior footy and they want to rookie list him. However, if that is the case someone will draft him before we get a chance, either as a late ND pick, PSD pick, or surely GWS would take him with one of the first 7 picks they will be getting in the rookie draft if he has so much potential.

Think Tyson Slattery was rather hard done by, named as an emergency numerous times during his 2 years, gets one senior game, in which our midfield was non existant and the Crows were just constantly pumping the ball in. Reckon he did better than about two thirds of the team that night. Think there are some concerns over his disposal skills but that's the case for pretty much the entire list, and he is too short to be a true Key Defender, and maybe too short for a third tall role (189cm) but f***, I would have preferred to have gotten rid of a couple of the absolute shit trucks on our list (Neagle, Dyson- even if they are still contracted and would have had to pay them out) instead of a young bloke who has shown some signs of potential, and even more so a young bloke who has shown some mongrel, something our list doesn't have much of.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Gimps wrote:Wonder if the Hunchback Of Notre Dame (Bock) will get picked up by anyone else. Think he'll be handy when he fills out.

My understanding is that he wanted to go to Gold Coast to play with his brother and Gold Coast had shown enough interest to suggest they would at least pick him up as a rookie listed player.

Not particularly fussed, don't reckon the boy will ever have the body to play AFL football.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I suspect T Slatts will be picked up on the rookie list.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

So Dyson is still on the list !

I can't fathom how this guy is on an AFL list.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

i hope that t.slattery was a typo. i want to see a correction of h.slattery
ARCN
On the Rookie List

Post by ARCN »

If either Slattery or Still or both dont get rookie drafted its a disgrace. To delist 2 KP players before they get a chance to develop and show what they have got to offer, doesnt make much sence.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Little surprised about Tyson Slats being let go over Lonergan or Dyson.

Assuming that if we dont hear about new contracts for Atkinson, Henry Slats or Lonergan that there may be more changes??

I have a feeling that either Tyson Slats or Still will be rookie listed by us if available. Seems as though young ruck Daniel Gorringe is firming as our #8 pick in the draft as well.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Sismis wrote:I suspect T Slatts will be picked up on the rookie list.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I pretty much picked it in another list (although Houli is obviously not a de-listing)
Windy_Hill wrote:
My guess is that Slattery T, Houli, Laycock, Still are heading towards the door.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

so how does this work out for drafting?

I count 6(these 5 plus houli) leaving the club.

The reason I heard for not trading houli for 46 was that we were only using 3 picks in the national draft.
So that leaves 3 spots left to fill. 1 through the PSD. does that mean the other two are rookies?
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Laycock, Still and Slattery are senior list players....Howlett pretty much replaces Houli on the senior list in 2011 (even though officially Bachar is still an Ess player). That leaves us 3 picks in the ND, none for the PSD unless we make someone a veteran.

Bock and Williams were rookies, meaning we have 3 rookies spots to fill (after the Howlett elevation)
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

little_ripper wrote:so how does this work out for drafting?

The reason I heard for not trading houli for 46 was that we were only using 3 picks in the national draft.
So that leaves 3 spots left to fill. 1 through the PSD. does that mean the other two are rookies?
2 of the above are rookies (Bock and Williams), so 4 spots to fill if Houli goes.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

little_ripper wrote:so how does this work out for drafting?

5 have been delisted plus Houli = 6

Howlett goes up = 5

Williams is a rookie = 4

3 draft picks = 1

1 PSD pick = 0
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Apparently McVeigh has moved to the veterans list, freeing up a spot on the senior list which is essentially what Howlett has taken.

At the moment we have removed 4 from the senior list, McVeigh (vet list), Laycock, TSlatts and Still. We have replaced McVeigh with Howlett. Leaving 3 picks in the ND, now we will obviously delist Houli at some stage meaning that we can take an extra ND pick or PSD pick.

We've also moved 3 of the rookie list, Howlett (promoted), Williams and Bock, meaning at the moment 3 can take 3 in the rookie draft, unless we delist more rookies.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Thanks ealesy, was doing my head trying to work it out! #-o
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Ahem

Our problem is the lack of older players who would normally retire and be taken from the list. Consequently we have to select from a number of younger similar players to delist - that are a raffle to see who who will make it or who are crocks.

While I cannot understand while TSlatt and Still have been delisted in front of others on the list (criky ... if we were willing to pay out $1m surely we could carry forward some salary cap pain ... yes specifically a certain annoointed FF) ... while they may be rookied. there is a risk we may lose them (and both of them have a bit of upside)

What worries me is that (1) Quinn is still on the list and (2) Knowing that the GC are interested in Bock - why we didn't promote or haggle over him to gain some (albeit minor) drafting reward in the future.

IMO - there seems to be a lack of confidence in the upcoming draft.

Also - we need to be sure that the three draft selections now in play (with potentially a PSD pick), as well as the rookie considerations, provide enough flexibility to retain the rookies that have perked interest (eg Silverlock but not sure on Margilini) while allowing us to pick up some real talent.

s'd
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)