Early Call on our Starting 22 - Round 1

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Early Call on our Starting 22 - Round 1

Post by Windy_Hill »

Not sure how the Sub rule works so I am just going to list in preferred position our team for round one. This assumes all players will be available

McVeigh Pears Fletcher
NLM Hurley Hooker
Dempsey Hocking Melksham
Stanton Gumbleton Monfries
Davey Ryder Williams

Ruck: Hille, Watson, Colyer

I/C Winderlich, Heppell, Prismall, Jetta

Emergencies - Myers, Carlisle, Bellchambers, Dyson
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Re: Early Call on our Starting 22 - Round 1

Post by hillchaser »

No Room for Howlett ?

I'm really shocked at how everyone has forgotten about this guy. He was just about our leading tackler last season mostly leading the team in tackles every week, Doesn't have the run of Colyer .. but this guy is a player. In my best 22 easily.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

hillchaser wrote:No Room for Howlett ?

I'm really shocked at how everyone has forgotten about this guy. He was just about our leading tackler last season mostly leading the team in tackles every week, Doesn't have the run of Colyer .. but this guy is a player. In my best 22 easily.
Thanks for reminding me - a definite starter

Howlett in - Heppell out
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Im not going to lie...this is a good lol.

What you don't rate Zaharakis?

Hibberd will also be in there.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Ryder at FF really gets the juices flowing. Also support Howlett in opening 22.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Damn, Zaharakis - nect time I do this I will make sure I have the team list in fron of me.

Zaka in for either Winders or Priz
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

B McVeigh Fletcher Pears
HB Hooker Hurley Hocking
C Dempsey Watson Zaharakis
HF Davey Gumbleton Winderlich
F Monfries Ryder Williams
R Hille Prismall Stanton
I Melksham Howlett Colyer Hardingham
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Ossie wrote:B McVeigh Fletcher Pears
HB Hooker Hurley Hocking
C Dempsey Watson Zaharakis
HF Davey Gumbleton Winderlich
F Monfries Ryder Williams
R Hille Prismall Stanton
I Melksham Howlett Colyer Hardingham
Hmmm...looks a lot like our 2010 team....not a lot to get excited about really....the midfield is still crap and one paced.

More pain ahead as they slowly develop the likes of Melksham, Colyer, Zaharakis and the new guys.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

B: Fletcher Pears McVeigh
HB: Myers Hooker NLM
C: Dempsey Watson Reimers
HF: Zaharakis Gumbleton Jetta
F: Monfries Hurley Ryder

R: Hille Hocking Stanton

I: Melshkam Winderlich Colyer Howlett

Hocking is not a defender, he is best suited to playing in the middle.

Fletcher, Pears and Hooker are capable of holding down the key defensive posts so Hurley can play forward.

I have Jetta in the side ahead of Hardingham as we need a crumbing forward who can kick goals.

Having Ryder and Hille swapping between the ruck and a forward pocket would cause alot of team trouble.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

swoodley wrote:
Ossie wrote:
Hmmm...looks a lot like our 2010 team....not a lot to get excited about really....the midfield is still crap and one paced.

More pain ahead as they slowly develop the likes of Melksham, Colyer, Zaharakis and the new guys.
However, one or two things have changed since last year.

The two things I anticipate most will be the development of the youngsters together with just what Hirdy and Bomber can extract from the guys like Stanton, Dempsey, Dyson, Welsh, Monfries, Williams, Slattery, NLM and Jetta. There is nowhere for these guys to hide.

I am also expecting Paddy to have a fantastic year. Would love to see him at FF.

I am expecting improvement overall. How much remains to be seen
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

rockhole wrote:
swoodley wrote:
Ossie wrote:

However, one or two things have changed since last year.

The two things I anticipate most will be the development of the youngsters together with just what Hirdy and Bomber can extract from the guys like Stanton, Dempsey, Dyson, Welsh, Monfries, Williams, Slattery, NLM and Jetta. There is nowhere for these guys to hide.

I am also expecting Paddy to have a fantastic year. Would love to see him at FF.

I am expecting improvement overall. How much remains to be seen

Good call - I'd add Spike, Froggy, Pris and Winder to that list as well.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I think Andrew Welsh is completely finished as a footballer. The only possible value he could be is as a pure stopper / tagger and nothing else. And even then I don't think he'd be up to most tasks.
Essendunny
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

I suspect you're right B.D. And I suspect Andrew Welsh also knows this - that's why he held out for a two year deal prior to last season.

The coaches must be ruthless with guys like him - if they are not up to playing AFL - then they earn their (considerable) salary nuturing, coaching, mentoring, protecting and leading the younger blokes at the Bendigo Bombers. Not 'resting' or selected as emergencies.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

hop wrote:I suspect you're right B.D. And I suspect Andrew Welsh also knows this - that's why he held out for a two year deal prior to last season.

The coaches must be ruthless with guys like him - if they are not up to playing AFL - then they earn their (considerable) salary nuturing, coaching, mentoring, protecting and leading the younger blokes at the Bendigo Bombers. Not 'resting' or selected as emergencies.
This will be one of Hird's real challenges - how he deals with really close mates like Welsh & McVeigh if they're not playing to the level we expect. Will be interesting....
Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Between myself, Hop and Benny, we listed about 13 players apart from the kids with whom we had doubts. Is it no wonder that there are still grey skies over Windy Hill with so many players that have not cemented themselves as certain starters in the best lineup we can produce??.

All of these players have shown at some stage that they have the ability to play at the top level but have been inconsistent to say the least.

The greatest challenge to Hirdy and Bomber is to get these guys performing at their best for the majority of the season. Given that a lot of the game is played between the ears, there should be no lack of either incentive or confidence within this group to perform.

I tend to ignore the various fluff pieces on how Fred Nurke is training the house down and has a beep and yo yo test in the stratosphere.

I want to see 100% effort from these blokes in the real stuff. Otherwise, see ya later!!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

rockhole wrote:I tend to ignore the various fluff pieces on how Fred Nurke is training the house down and has a beep and yo yo test in the stratosphere.

I want to see 100% effort from these blokes in the real stuff. Otherwise, see ya later!!!
=D>

Couldn't agree more!!
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:
hop wrote:I suspect you're right B.D. And I suspect Andrew Welsh also knows this - that's why he held out for a two year deal prior to last season.

This will be one of Hird's real challenges - how he deals with really close mates like Welsh & McVeigh if they're not playing to the level we expect. Will be interesting....
Indeed.

Will Welsh be in the starting 21+1 in round 1?

I would not have him there, but Hirdy might stick with him at first because he's been in the team for so long. Unless he has an awesome pre-season (matches, not training) I would have him starting at Bendigo and he would have to earn a spot in the seniors.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:
rockhole wrote:I tend to ignore the various fluff pieces on how Fred Nurke is training the house down and has a beep and yo yo test in the stratosphere.

=D>

Couldn't agree more!!
+1.

BTW it was Stanton training the house down this week. :lol:
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

j-mac31 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

=D>

Couldn't agree more!!
+1.

BTW it was Stanton training the house down this week. :lol:
Yeah saw that fluff piece - LOL.

In the day - I remember playing with quite few January to March Champions.

Still - while there is news - the membership numbers keep ticking over. Just thought they could have found a more convincing target than Stanton.