Roger Merrett has massive stroke

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Roger Merrett has massive stroke

Post by Rossoneri »

Apparently Roger has had a massive stroke, coming from a blood clot in his brain. Doesn't look good :(

Hope you pull through Roger, thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/sund ... 5992943813
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Re: Roger Merrett has massive stroke

Post by Jazz_84 »

hope all ends well!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Hope big Roger gets through this.
F-111
Top Up Player

Post by F-111 »

Not good news at all.
"He suffered a stroke from an abnormal heart beat which caused a blood clot on the brain," his daughter Georgia said from Southport Hospital yesterday.
Atrial fibrillation probably. Schwab (ex dawks coach) has this. The irregular beat allows for poor flow out from the heart, so that some pooling occurs in the left ventricle, that can form as clot. Eventually it gets spat out with the hearts contraction and can go anywhere from there...limbs, bowel or brain most commonly. Right side weakness means left side brain damage...many speech centres are there. Hopefully he'll be able to talk.

Hopefully he got some clot buster drugs very quickly, as that can dissolve the clot and restore blood flow. Prognosis may relate to the site of the occlusion from the clot...ie which vessel in the brain. A small clot can travel further and cause less damage, a big clot causes a wider blockage.

Best wishes...he's far too young to be an invalid. :(

I'm off to take an aspirin.
F111 with dash! 12223 posts just vanished!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

If any one can fight the good fight, its Roger the Dodger!! Best wishes big fellah

Great picture from the Hun today

The thing that I find amusing is 1) Glen Hawker's head and 2) They're all drinking a different lager!!!

hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Champion footballer - broke my heart when he left EFC - and probably cost us a couple of flags!
Champion bloke!

Get well soon big-fella!

(BTW - didn't see 'The Hun' yesterday - who's birthday are the 4 legends celebrating?)
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Best wishes Big Fella.

Let's see you Beat this terrible setback.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

May he have a massive recovery [-o<

All the best Dodger .

Merrett circa 1985 was the most feared man in the VFL. His work in both Premierships was outstanding. And lets not forget his great career with Brisbane - he carried them on his broad shoulders.
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote:May he have a massive recovery [-o<

All the best Dodger .

Merrett circa 1985 was the most feared man in the VFL. His work in both Premierships was outstanding. And lets not forget his great career with Brisbane - he carried them on his broad shoulders.
Would have thought that Rotton Ronnie and Mad Dog Muir were the most feared at that time - Rodger was much more talented while tough and could cut opponents up with his talent and/or his toughness (not just his muscle).

He was my fave player in the mid 80's and I was gutted when he left to the Bears.

I am stunned that he has not been inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame ... a 300+ game player, two times AA, 4 times premiership player (two night cups), Captain of the Vic team in 1986, 7 year captain (and short time coach) of the of the Bears and the face and the grunt behind the AFL's expansion into QLD. According the the EFC, woulda been a contender for MVP in 1984 and 1985. Without the Dodger's attention, the Bear/Lions would have remained a rabble and the club may have folded rather than winning the cups from 2001-03.

I hope that his recovery is rapid and complete. And I think its about time the AFL recognised his efforts.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:May he have a massive recovery [-o<

All the best Dodger .

Would have thought that Rotton Ronnie and Mad Dog Muir were the most feared at that time - Rodger was much more talented while tough and could cut opponents up with his talent and/or his toughness (not just his muscle).
Rotten was finished by the end of 1984 - and was a spent force anyway. Mad Dog Muir was just a lunatic. Listening to Dermott Brereton talking about the battles in the 80's, he stated that a team mate actually vomitted when he was told he'd be playing on Merrett (1985). Hawthorn (who were a tough club at the time) regarded Merrett as "scary". Don't forget Don Scott's famous "hitman" allegations aimed at Merrett during the 1983 finals campaign. He rattled them.
Essendunny
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

hop wrote:Champion footballer - broke my heart when he left EFC - and probably cost us a couple of flags!
Champion bloke!

Get well soon big-fella!

(BTW - didn't see 'The Hun' yesterday - who's birthday are the 4 legends celebrating?)
It was Roger's 50th
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

swoodley wrote:
hop wrote:Champion footballer - broke my heart when he left EFC - and probably cost us a couple of flags!
Champion bloke!

Get well soon big-fella!

It was Roger's 50th
Cheers Swood!

Tick Tick Tick - Also turning 50 this year.

In a minority here - however I suspect a few can trump me.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

My Merret moment was the '84 GF when I think it was Vander who kicked a wobbly torp that just kept going. I was on the steps in front of the members and all we could see was a line of Hawks in the square when all of a sudden like the parting of the waters, Big Roger stood there on the goal line, ball above his head after taking a one grabber and duly slotted the goal which almost (almost!!) triggered a larger cheer than Leon's famous snap. He really was a fearsome competitor and I was devastated when he left.

I hope like hell that the big fella makes some sort of decent recovery.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark