What I Liked

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

What I Liked

Post by robbie67 »

Hurley, Crameri, Dempsey, Howlett, Zaka, and Melksham all seem to have improved since last time I saw them.

Watson, McVeigh, and Fletcher just dominated the first match against Brisbane which good players should do in that situation.

Players working hard to get back without the football. Good defensive preassure.

I like the look of Heppell. Though his kicking last night was not in the A class that I had been told it was.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Re: What I Liked

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Agree with all of the above....

I think you can add Browne and Hibberd to the impressive youngsters list as well.

Loved Lonergans attack on the footy in the middle last night!!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

might be harder then ever to settle on a best 22 for a while after last night, much to like indeed
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I think we will need to give Heppell a little bit of time to get to get used to the pace and the his kicking will get better. Alot of positives from last night, just need to make sure we can continue to develop our young players who are going to be in their 1st-3rd season as they are our future premiership players.
F-111
Top Up Player

Post by F-111 »

Browne, Hibberd and Heppell all showed they can get the ball. So at least they known how to read the play. They had it plenty.
F111 with dash! 12223 posts just vanished!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

McVeigh will thrive under Hirdy. He'll give every ounce of whatever football life he has left. I felt he lost the passion last year - as did many other players.

Zaharakis plays like Mr Cool. He seems to have ample time to sum up the situation and generally does something damaging. I said elsewhere he reminds me of Mercs at times.

Liked Crameri's contribution. I wasn't sure if he'd make it from the games I saw of him last year, but he certainly made an impact last night.

Impressed by Heppell's input in the first match. He certainly has the moves to get out of trouble in tight situations.

Hurley was excellent. What impresses me mostly about him is that he fights for the loose ground ball just as hard as any small bloke - generally wins it and does something with it.

Gumbleton worries me. A lot. Just seems to lose himself under the ball a hell of a lot of times. I don't think it's a bad kick coming in, I just think he mis-reads the flight.

Where the hell is Anthony Long?
Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I also thought that 2 of our most maligned players made good contributions namely Jetta and Henry. I also thought that TB held his own in the ruck or was probably just shaded.

The intensity was fantatstic.

Nealgle just got in the way and Myers was good and bad. I am still not sold on Hooker.

Hurley down forward was a real luxury and great to see.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Also throw in Howlett and Sammy for their attack on the ball. Their work in the packs was senstational.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Anthony Long is still injured BD.... hamstrings.... Daniher still out of action as well at the moment. These two boys can't seem to get any luck with injuries at the moment.

Hooker and Myers made way too many errors in the back half on Friday night... I know its still very early on but it was a little concerning. Myers is better suited to a midfield role which is where he plays when in the Bendigo side.

Licha, Prizz and Dyson were ordinary as well.

Interesting to see who makes the cut for the full length hit out against the Dees next weekend!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Anthony Long is still injured BD.... hamstrings.... Daniher still out of action as well at the moment. These two boys can't seem to get any luck with injuries at the moment.

Hooker and Myers made way too many errors in the back half on Friday night... I know its still very early on but it was a little concerning. Myers is better suited to a midfield role which is where he plays when in the Bendigo side.

Licha, Prizz and Dyson were ordinary as well.

Interesting to see who makes the cut for the full length hit out against the Dees next weekend!
Cheers Merky.

Bloody Daniher is permanently injured it seems. Is he trying to break Andrew Lee's record?
Essendunny
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Myers is no bloody good. Unless they can surgically remove the rod that is up his arse, he won't get anywhere.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:
Gumbleton worries me. A lot. Just seems to lose himself under the ball a hell of a lot of times. I don't think it's a bad kick coming in, I just think he mis-reads the flight.
Now I am worried that you are worried - I am really banking on this guy coming good.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

So Hurley up forward then?

I think our forward line may struggle without him and it also takes pressure off Gumbleton and make it easier for him.

The backline is still in safe hands with Pears and Fletcher.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Pears wont play this year.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Rossoneri wrote:Pears wont play this year.
Yep i agree.... no way would I want the club to risk him if he just isnt right..... promote Crameri and let Tayte have the year to recover fully....

Fletch and Hooker can hold down the fort with Hurley as well if needed. Hille and Ryder forward with Gumby and possibly even Carlisle could be the setup...
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Wait, what? I must have missed something, I thought he was coming back soon-ish.
Mrs Mercuri wrote:Fletch and Hooker can hold down the fort with Hurley as well if needed. Hille and Ryder forward with Gumby and possibly even Carlisle could be the setup...
I'm not certain that Gumbleton is ready to be the main target in the forward line. Carlisle looked good last year, has he bulked up at all?

Either Hille and Ryder are going to be very important, or we have to hope that Hooker's lost the brain farts.

Ultimately, I wish we had 2 Hurleys.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

Gimps wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again... Myers is no bloody good. Unless they can surgically remove the rod that is up his arse, he won't get anywhere.
I have been saying that for a long too too gimps. It seems like your the only one other than me that seems to see this. I watched the game(s) and Myers just looked horrible as always.

Neagle is in no way a backman. To think once he said he wanted to hold down CHB for us...LOL. He took over for Lloyd, how apt was that. Lloyd was strictly a FF and so too is Neagle. Neagle has good hands and a good kick. Big body, just no desire it seems. Seems to run out of gas by half time too.

Hurly looks dangerous up forward, but we may need him down back. We have a few talls that can play upfront, Ryder, Hille, Gumby, Neagle. But of thos who can go back except Ryder? So Hurly may have to go back coz Neagle certainly cant and Pears is injured.
Plus Hooker is no KPP either. Flanker at best IMO.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

j-mac31 wrote:
Wait, what? I must have missed something, I thought he was coming back soon-ish.
"a number of weeks" is the term being given from the club....... tells us nothing really
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

The latest on Pears:
Hamilton said that while Tayte Pears was making impressive progress with his concerns, the Club would continue to take a cautious approach with his recovery.
“With Tayte we are treating his recovery conservatively and it is a gradual process because we want to get it right.”
“Tayte is out running and is gradually building up his training, but is still a number of weeks away.”
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Lots to like - but hey it was Round 1 NAB Cup!

Gold - Intensity - around the ball and defensive pressure.

Silver - Tom Bellchambers - need this bloke to step up - crucial as we have no real ruck stocks if Hille goes down again.

Bronze - Watching Brisvegas implode - Brainless Voss (Bombers and Carlscum dodged a bullet there) - any team that recruited Citizen Fevola deserves all they get.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.