St Kilda Match Review Thread

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

St Kilda Match Review Thread

Post by paddyl90 »

Quick summary as I'm dead!!!! and have work in 7 hours.

- Meeting Robrulz, BomberinJapan and spending the day with Jazz :) Footy was so much fun with Carla (Koala) and co!!
- Game wise my B.O.Gs Jetta, Bellchambers, Hibberd! I'm sure there's others when I watch the replay
- Disappointments : Zaharakis & Watson (felt flat to me?) still did some good things, no big deal. Myers is bipolar the good is good and then he stuffs it up!! Gets me worried. Monfries I barely saw...
- Overall pleasing result but not as polished tonight as we have been past few weeks but that's what you get for playing the Aints!! God I hate them!! :evil:

Will post more once I've watched the replay tomorrow afternoon. Who knows my opinions might change :)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: St Kilda Match Review Thread

Post by BenDoolan »

Our first half was dynamite. Our 2nd half was vegemite. But overall, I think the obvious difference to our make up is that we are fitter and more determined than ever.

Leroy Jetta showed some terrific glimpses of what he's capable of late last year. Now it looks like he's about to take the next step. Lets hope so!

Liking the look of Hibberd. Plays with a lot of composure and decent skills.

Myers can do some very good things......but he worries me in defence. I'd prefer him in a midfield role.

Spike looks re-incarnated. I knew Hirdy would bring the best out of him, but jingoes he looks sharp.

f***'n Dempsey can do some extraordinary things! What a burst of speed he has. That tackle he laid in the first quarter was sensational.

Loving the game style!!!
Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Can we just get a little f***'n exited now!!!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
boris
On the Rookie List

Post by boris »

Cant wait to see the replay.....

Excited.......? YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't care about NAB or pre season, but it sounds like this group of blokes really wanna play!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knowing that we are up against the aints, i just assume that we cannot lose(?!!) as they have no way to beat even the Knighter Bombers..... They have the psycho yips against us!

I think even the most cynical of Essendon supporters- or those who are terrified of even the memory of success- can now be coaxed into a sense of belief in better times....?????

Yep - Excited!

Pretty hard for some us to get live footy around here eh? Thats the un-exciting bit. Have seen the match highlights though... Leroy looks rippa as does the sight of Hirdy and Bomba walking around with an intent to put some pride back.......
electrickery
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

Some initial thoughts

Howlett very good in close.. did more that Watson I think
Melksham - Very clever ... will be big for us in the next couple of years
Hardinham - Added a bit of hardness to defence .. very impressed with his spoiling and tackling.
Hibberd - some good run out of defence .. still not 100% convinced but good signs
Jetta - Great 1st half
Bellchambers - Very good all game
Hurley - Quiet but dangerous
Zaha - Polished performance but would like to see him a bit more aggressive
Myers - his best is good
Heppel - Looks like a player .. give him another season and he will be very good
Winderlich - Quiet
Lonergan - Good in close but stands out as slow in this team. Not sure if he is in the best 22.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Belly you beauty!!!!

If this bloke can sustain this form throughout the season proper we will be a force - pure and simple.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

The thing that stuck in my mind was our intensity. Whenever a Saint got the pill, he was monstered by a manic swarm of Bombers out to maim him. St. Kolda have a game plan which relies on great delivery and skills. Like any team, when they are put under intense pressure, this game collapses and turnovers occur.

It was great to see so many "name" players for the Saints making basic skill errors as a result of our intensity. Bring it on for next Friday.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Surprised no one has mentioned the job Hocking did on Hayes. Hayes is a very good player, and Hocking just shut him down completley.

I have wrote my thoughts on Melksham, Myers, Bellchambers elsewhere. Hibberd looks terrific, Zaka, Jetta, Howlett continue to improve. Crameri, and Hardingham show signs of being bargains. Ryder looks like the next step is near, Watson is Watson, and we have Hille, Pears, and Fletcher to come back in. We wont make the eight, but we will significantly improve.

Lloyd must be tempted.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

My thoughts.....first half was where we set up the win... second half was riddled with mistakes from both sides.

4- Watson- wasnt outstanding but played the captains role. His hands in the stoppages are just brilliant.
5- Stanton- probably same as Watson. Got the job done without being outstanding.
6- Monfries- floated in and out of the game. Think Gwilt was on him most of the night.
7- Jetta- WOW!!! Mr excitement. Definately our best player and was unstoppable in the first half. Magical stuff.
8- Licha- dropped a couple of sitters early, didint do much.
9- Prizz- got a bit of the footy, again wasnt dominant
10- McVeigh- strong around the footy
11- Zaka- pretty quiet but kicked a couple of ripper goals
14- Lonergan- didint get a lot of it
15- Demps- really solid game across half back.
17- Mellsham- one of the better players. Looks poised and really classy.
18- Hurley- didint see much of it but provided a good target up forward.
20- Slats- did a great job on the little ferret Milne and probably should have kicked a goal as well.
21- Heppell- a few errors including the bench mistake.
23- Myers- as others have said his good is great but his errors are quite ordinary.
26- Hooker- did well on Riewoldt
30- Ryder- dominated the ruck
33- Williams- quiet but chased and pressured well around the for 50
34- Hardingham- impressive, another staking his claim for round 1
37- Reimers- only played the last quarter and kicked a goal
39- Hocking- did the job on Hayes and got a lot of the footy himself
40- Howlett- drifted in and out of it
43- Hibberd- one of the better players. Seems poised and make good decisions.
44- TB- wonderful game from the big man. Should play round 1
45- Crameri- needs to be elevated asap... could have kicked another 3 last night if on target
46- Jenkins- a late inclusion for Dyson... didint see much of it.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

your dead Pat? i had 3 hours sleep before getting up haha

my review is we kicked their f****** asses....... that'll do me!

few bob on us to get into the 8
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I liked the pressure we placed on the ball carrier and our ability to break from defense and get into attack. We were able to negate players like Goddard and Hayes which is a good sign.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Jazz_84 wrote:your dead Pat? i had 3 hours sleep before getting up haha

my review is we kicked their f****** asses....... that'll do me!

few bob on us to get into the 8
Wah wah wah...call the wambulance :roll: :wink: