Fletcher

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Re: Fletcher

Post by robrulz5 »

Jazz_84 wrote:im going to give Lloyd a mention in here too, simply because his name shouldn't go unsaid in a Essendon Great discussion
Scotty Lucas as well. Without Scotty Lloydy wouldn't have only been double teamed each week he would have been triple and quadruple teamed!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

he lost his way a bit last year (for obvious reasons) and is totally reinvigorated now, you'd think simply by looking at him he can't go much longer but i have total faith he can go at least 2 more seasons after this...... the beauty is he really isn't taking anyone's spot being a floater as he does, still 2 tall defenders that can be taught out on the field

he is playing some exciting footy and a big reason to go to the footy
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

robrulz5 wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:I think you have to seriously rate him in the Top 10 Essendon players of all time and probably one of the Top 5 Full Backs of all time for any club.

Player honours: best and fairest 2000; 2nd best and fairest 2007, 2009; 3rd best and fairest 2006; All-Australian 2000, 2007; All-Australian nominee 2009, 2010; AFL Rising Star nominee 1993; International Rules Series 2005, 2006, 2010; premiership sides 1993, 2000; pre-season premiership sides 1994, 2000.

Brownlow Medal: 2010 votes 7; career votes 59.
Should have been All Australian at least 6 or 7 other years as well.

Had Essendon been a stronger team during the mid 2000's onwards, he probably would have got the nod for AA in at least 2 additional seasons. Strong feeling that Scarlett was getting the award due to Geelongs great run over the last last 4-5 years
Gnome Chomsky
Top Up Player

Post by Gnome Chomsky »

I think Fletchers skinny build has really helped his longevity. If you look at other footballer who have played into their late 30's they often have a similar build, ie Michael Tuck and KB.

Another older man who is still killing it is Ryan Giggs and Sir Alex stated that the fact that Giggs doesn’t put on weight has made it easier for him to play longer. For Fletch to have a few beers after a game and not put on any weight must make it so much easier to continue to play. I remember seeing Fletch and other bombers at a pub in the early 2000's Fletch was puffing down the smokes like the Marlboro Man himself. I think the fact that Fletch can enjoy a few indulgences without it impact on his performance would help him unwind and also maintain the desire...anyway just a thought.
States are not moral agents, people are, and can impose moral standards on powerful institutions - Noam Chomsky
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Jazz_84 wrote:im going to give Lloyd a mention in here too, simply because his name shouldn't go unsaid in a Essendon Great discussion

:shock: Can't believe i missed the 2 goal kicking marvels...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I used to like Ken Fletcher when I was a little kid. Thought he was a terrific player. His son has turned out to be an absolute champion of the game - not just at the club. Such a brilliant footballer and a very humble man. Hopefully his legacy will live on through Mason & Max.
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Another small accolade for Fletch, he has been voted player of the week on The Insider with 30% of the vote.
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

He is an out and out champion.

And his longevity i think has alot to do with the fact the "full forward" is not the same full foward as it was 10 years ago.
Fletcher grew up playing on Ablett, Lockett, Dunstall just to name a few which was always body on body. Now-a-days the full foward position is occupied generally by a resting ruckman, or someone not as strong and powerful as the above mentioned. It wasn't rare to see a full foward ever leave his attacking 50, now you have guys like Buddy, both Riewoldt's etc who can play as the full forward, but also can run on the ball and jump down back if needed.
The change has allowed Fletcher to play a more loose man in attack (so far this year) and get to a contest to be the 3rd man up, and i tell you what, i would not want to have it any other way!

Don't think anybody will be wanting to take on Dusty after seeing what he did to Gartlett last week!
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Where did the line, "He rarely played on the number on full forward" and who started it. Fletch has played on every key full forward from Kernahan (1993) to Hall (2011). He is by far the best kick in the game, the best kick to position, the best spoiler ever and in my opinion, the best full back I have seen. He is rarely beaten and consistently sets up our attacking moves from the backline. Probably the best example of this was when Sean Wellman was playing. The way they combined was superb.

My only regret is that he was unable to spend a bit more time up forward as he would have been impossible to match up. And to add to the above, the best long distance shot for goal I have ever seen.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

rockhole wrote:Where did the line, "He rarely played on the number on full forward" and who started it.
Supporters of other clubs who have short memories.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

robrulz5 wrote:
rockhole wrote:Where did the line, "He rarely played on the number on full forward" and who started it.
Plus dickheads in the media.

But the line is actually "he never played on the number 1 forward". Not full forward. Their point was because he didn't play on Carey or J Brown, he was being protected. Which of course was BS. By the late 90s (which is as far back as I can remember specific play, he played full back, regardless of who was the full forward. He could play on a monster like Lynch one week and a midget like Williams the next. Instead of being hailed as a versatile genius, he's just protected. :roll:
Last edited by j-mac31 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I'm pretty sure he played on Carey several times and played on Brown a few times as well.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

robrulz5 wrote:I'm pretty sure he played on Carey several times and played on Brown a few times as well.
I'm sure you're right, especially early on on Carey, but a lot of the time they did leave those guys to others and Fletch played in the goalsquare.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

BenDoolan wrote:I used to like Ken Fletcher when I was a little kid. Thought he was a terrific player. His son has turned out to be an absolute champion of the game - not just at the club. Such a brilliant footballer and a very humble man. Hopefully his legacy will live on through Mason & Max.
Ken Fletcher nickname was known as 'the racehorse' because of his speed.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

j-mac31 wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:

But the line is actually "he never played on the number 1 forward". Not full forward. Their point was because he didn't play on Carey or J Brown, he was being protected. Which of course was BS. By the late 90s (which is as far back as I can remember specific play, he played full back, regardless of who was the full forward. He could play on a monster like Lynch one week and a midget like Williams the next. Instead of being hailed as a versatile genius, he's just protected. :roll:
Yes, spot on!

Plus, the same dickheads in the media laud the likes of Brian Lake (who gets AA selection) based on playing the same role as Fletcher in defence. Go figure.
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:

Yes, spot on!

Plus, the same dickheads in the media laud the likes of Brian Lake (who gets AA selection) based on playing the same role as Fletcher in defence. Go figure.
Indeed, except Lake doesn't play close to his man, whereas Fletcher would actually play on whoever was at full-forward.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Lake also gets alot of 1-2 handballs and kicks the ball sideways A LOT!
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

In my time he certainly isn't lost amongst company which includes Hird, Madden, Moss, Watson.T., Lloyd, Long.

Robbie's top 10 is pretty bloody accurate. (If you were to drop one - who would drop and for whom?)

The 'knock' on Flech is that the monster forwards were able to out-muscle him in a contest - and this is true.
Sav Rocca had a couple of days out on Fletch - Carey and Jono Brown just too powerful - but he wasn't alone here.

His physique has also meant he has had longevity in the game - Carey and Brown were (and are) geriatrics by the time they got to their late 20's. Fletch was just warming to his task when he turned 30.

His closing speed is as good as any in the game - and still remains the same.
His spoiling and his ability to time his spoils is the best I've seen.
His kick accuracy is exceptional.
His 'bombs' are as good as anyone in the game for the past 20 years.
His calm demeanour when under forward pressure has been an example to his younger and less experience team mates for 10 or more years.
He has not changed as a person since he first walked on the the hallowed turf as a skinny 17 year old all those years ago. Ego is not a dirty word - but it is not a word that Fletch wants to know.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

j-mac31 wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:I'm pretty sure he played on Carey several times and played on Brown a few times as well.
I'm sure you're right, especially early on on Carey, but a lot of the time they did leave those guys to others and Fletch played in the goalsquare.
He usually got the job on Carey. He played on Carey in the first week of the finals in 2000 and slaughtered him.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

hop wrote:The 'knock' on Flech is that the monster forwards were able to out-muscle him in a contest - and this is true.
Sav Rocca had a couple of days out on Fletch - Carey and Jono Brown just too powerful - but he wasn't alone here.
I tend to agree with this...and back then we had blokes by the names of Barnard & Wellman that would often take the power forwards like Brown & Carey...

However, if was being outmuscled, he would often still find a way to get his arm into a position to spoil the mark and like most players, there were times where he did get outpointed, but not often...