Getting There

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Getting There

Post by robbie67 »

We werent too bad. Talent wise, we are not far off that lot, but they are so well drilled. They dont make the same undisciplined mistakes we do, but what is really frustrating for me is that it's guys like Stanton, and NLM who are expirenced players that make those errors for us. The only place they are clearly superior to us though is the mid-field, and though we have made great strides in that area, we are still too far behind them for now.
The Fly
High Draft Pick

Re: Getting There

Post by The Fly »

They showed a bit more polish when it counted. But they are the reigning premier. We finished 14th last year. Our improvement is unbelievable. All Hail the Great Man.

I was devastated at losing today, as usual, but I saw something today that I am genuinely excited about and it was NOT a 30pt game. Late junk made the filth look good. These boys CAN play and happy days are not far away.

Enjoy the ride, kiddies.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Was exciting to be a Bomber member today... they could have easily dropped their heads after the first quarter and last season they probably would have...there is a heap to like for the future!!

The disappointing thing as has been said is the mistakes by the experiences players on the big stage... seems our younger brigade stood up to the pressure better.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

We showed again (like we did in the NAB Cup final) that we can challenge these guys and match them, if not shade them for periods of a game but can't maintain it for 4 quarters.

At this stage they have it over us in terms of big match experience, general experience levels of the players are more physically developed players who are better versed in their gameplan.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

3.8 in the first half really hurt.

The passion for the jumper is back.

Love Hadingham, Melksham and Heppell.

Crameri is outstanding.

Just need more from Ryder and Monfries.

The filth did deserve their win but a 30 point win flatters them a lot.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Really good pressure and worked the ball out of defense better than I expected.
Took a while to get out of panic mode in the 1st half & we couldn't get much out of our inside 50s.
Just need to be smarter with the play. If you're going to kick it long to Jetta when he's just outside 50 with space ahead, don't make it a marking contest!
We did well in the midfield (shut down Swan, although SP was by himself plenty of times), but they got their goals too efficiently & easily (with cheap ones out the back).
Hille will be better for the run, although don't know what the f*** is wrong with Ryder. Heppell & Crameri most impressive.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

I think the game showed exactly where we are at.
They are bigger, stronger and more well drilled in the style of play we have adopted and using for the last 5 months.

We've improved but beware the hype.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

10 points from 5 games is ok, and many would've taken that pre season I expect.

Suns, Weagles, Lions, Tiggers, Dees....All winnable. 20 from 20 is what we've shown we have the talent for. Just do it!

30 points on the ladder after 10 games please.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

they are 3-4 years into development.... we are 5 games

wont take long before we are running in all the right places, get Pears back and 15 more games and maybe just maybe we could do something

Ryder and Hurley will start marking more at some stage
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Pretty much agree with all the comments above.

I think my take on it is that today's game showed how far we have come already under Hird but then again it also showed how far we still have to go to really match it with the big boys.

As nomolos said, beware the hype.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

^^^^^

Some really good posts here. Agree with all of them.

I don't think hype will be an issue. There are too many wise men in charge to ever let that happen.

Jazz has made a good point re: They are 3-4 years into development. We are 5 games.
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Collingwood were a lot better in the important moments today but they weren't a 5 goal better side on the day.

Give our side two years and we will be belting them again.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

We will fond out the next 6 weeks how far we have come as a club. We can go 5-0 (we have demons after the bye) and should at least be 4-1.

One more thing....

THEY KNOW WE'RE COMING!!!
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Rossoneri wrote:We will fond out the next 6 weeks how far we have come as a club. We can go 5-0 (we have demons after the bye) and should at least be 4-1.!
i will be dissapointed with 4-1
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

The most pleasing thing is that we've made so much improvement this year with only one true newbie in the team.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

j-mac31 wrote:The most pleasing thing is that we've made so much improvement this year with only one true newbie in the team.
While technically that is true, a major factor in our improvment this year has been the contribution from Crameri, Heppell, Hardingham, Howlett, Lonergan, Bellchambers, and Jetta. At the end of last season none of these guys were automatic selections for our best 22, now it's only circumstance in the case of Bellchambers that precludes them from being so.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

robbie67 wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:The most pleasing thing is that we've made so much improvement this year with only one true newbie in the team.
While technically that is true, a major factor in our improvment this year has been the contribution from Crameri, Heppell, Hardingham, Howlett, Lonergan, Bellchambers, and Jetta. At the end of last season none of these guys were automatic selections for our best 22, now it's only circumstance in the case of Bellchambers that precludes them from being so.
But that's my point. Other than Heppell, those guys were all on the list last year.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Correct, but the point I am trying to make, is that while Hird and the new staff have done a great job, you cant do it without cattle. The players I have mentioned are holding down spots that had been held by passengers in the immediate years past. They make us a 20% better team just on their own.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

robbie67 wrote:Correct, but the point I am trying to make, is that while Hird and the new staff have done a great job, you cant do it without cattle. The players I have mentioned are holding down spots that had been held by passengers in the immediate years past. They make us a 20% better team just on their own.
I know. It's just pleasing to me that these guys have stepped up.

Also Lonergan and Howlett played a lot last year and Jetta and Bellchambers got a few games too.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

I tend to agree with a fair bit in here and the most pleasing thing about everything at the moment is that the SCUM think that they are better than us... :lol: