Sheedy's season review!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Filthy

Sheedy's season review!

Post by Filthy »

Work to do for Essendon in 2007
03 September 2006 Sunday Herald Sun

JUST because the siren has sounded on what has been a disappointing season for Essendon, our year is far from over.

This was our second poor year in a row, but in introducing a lot of kids and giving ourselves a chance to draft and trade well in the coming months, we are bullish about next year's prospects.

The last thing we wanted this year was to be uncompetitive and lose a lot of games -- there is no excuse for that.

But now we need look back and think about the gains we have made, despite finishing near the bottom of the ladder.

It is so important for the younger players to experience games. At Essendon we see an apprenticeship as lasting 50 games. A lot of our younger players have just passed that milestone or are quickly approaching it.

Players such as Lovett Murray and Stanton pushed past 50 and developed as players. The next lot, including Bradley, Reynolds, Dyson, Lovett, Monfries, Watson, Winderlich and Laycock, are all close.

That doesn't guarantee they will be stars, but if you can support them with excellent senior performers they can go a long way next year.

Others got a sniff, too -- Dempsey, Slattery, Johns, Cartledge and Lee.

It's not sexy to sell how many developing players are in your system, but the footy community has acclaimed how Adelaide and Melbourne's kids came through this year. They didn't just bob up from nowhere.

We lost about eight or nine games by between one and three goals -- and that hurts. But we have also allowed some massive starts to sides such as the Bulldogs and Hawthorn in recent weeks.

This is just not good enough, so we don't kid ourselves about how much work we have to do.

We have to get our attitude spot-on and we hope to do that in what will be a particularly tough pre-season.

While the players are resting before that, we will be working feverishly on the approaching trade and drafting decisions.

We would like to get Jason Akermanis, but not at any price.

We will be keeping our top-three picks in the draft, unless something unexpected happens between now and trade time.

Last year we got a first-round pick when Ted Richards left, so you don't know if you can snare another high pick. We would need to look at what Brisbane want for Akermanis. We have dealt with the Lions before, so the lines of communication are open.

There will be at least 25 very good players in the draft. It's up to our recruiting guys to make sure they get the menu right.

We won't decide on whether we take a midfielder or tall with our first pick until the trade period is over, but recruiting is the main mission for us in the next few months.

I will be heavily involved, alongside our recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro(with JohnG's help, no doubt!! :D )as we do a lot of work watching games, analysing options and talking to a lot of people

There is a lot of work to be done, but we believe we have laid the foundations.

I am sure we will end up with a pretty good team for our Bomber fans next year.
team
Top Up Player

Post by team »

Players such as Lovett Murray and Stanton pushed past 50 and developed as players. The next lot, including Bradley, Reynolds, Dyson, Lovett, Monfries, Watson, Winderlich and Laycock, are all close
Those wanting Reynolds out may have cause for concern. If Lloydy would teach him to toss grass up (read kick straight) he wasn't that far away up forward.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

team wrote:
Players such as Lovett Murray and Stanton pushed past 50 and developed as players. The next lot, including Bradley, Reynolds, Dyson, Lovett, Monfries, Watson, Winderlich and Laycock, are all close
Those wanting Reynolds out may have cause for concern. If Lloydy would teach him to toss grass up (read kick straight) he wasn't that far away up forward.
Yes he would be. You need courage and vision also when you play up forward. Having a brain my also help.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Rossoneri wrote:
team wrote:
Yes he would be. You need courage and vision also when you play up forward. Having a brain my also help.
As soon as I saw that I was about to highlight it also. There is absolutely no chance that he will ever cement a regular spot in the team. the others mentioned to have a chance though, as they have shown some talent.
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

good to hear that we will be keeping our first 3 picks
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

ZRS wrote:good to hear that we will be keeping our first 3 picks
Yeah i agree. Would have been crazy to give them away.

3 genuine youngsters in a super draft, i think a late second round draft pick would be worth a lot more than it has in recent years.
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

Just curious to see who Sheedy intends on delisting if he isn't going to get rid of Reynolds.

He to me is number 1 on the list.

Who's gonna go then Sheeds??? We need to make room for these gun draftpicks - at least 5 of them.

Rioli at this stage is the only player retired. Rama has a big ? mark and may stay, Cartlidge may stay after his performance on Friday night, Peverill has earnt his keep.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Hard decisions are required.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

If Reynolds stays, it's a joke. Footy is a business, and Reynolds can not cut it. Only reason he would stay is to fill a spot down at Bendigo, which we don't need.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

just a question.. what picks do we get in draft and then pre-season draft at this stage... am i right in saying we get pick 2 in national draft and pick 1 in pre season draft? cheers :wink:
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

DYSON#2 wrote:just a question.. what picks do we get in draft and then pre-season draft at this stage... am i right in saying we get pick 2 in national draft and pick 1 in pre season draft? cheers :wink:
half right.

In the National draft, we get picks 2,18,20,36,52 (unless traded)

In the PSD, we get #2 as well, but as Carlton have no money, we basically get the #1 pick.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

Rossoneri wrote:
DYSON#2 wrote:just a question.. what picks do we get in draft and then pre-season draft at this stage... am i right in saying we get pick 2 in national draft and pick 1 in pre season draft? cheers :wink:
half right.

In the National draft, we get picks 2,18,20,36,52 (unless traded)

In the PSD, we get #2 as well, but as Carlton have no money, we basically get the #1 pick.
cheers mate ta.
i like look of picks, hopefully we can pick up another 1st round pick
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Re: Sheedy's season review!

Post by dodgey »

Filthy wrote:I will be heavily involved, alongside our recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro(with JohnG's help, no doubt!! :D )as we do a lot of work watching games, analysing options and talking to a lot of people

the season is OVER. a bit late to be watching games

unfortunately for Dodoro I suspect his "frequent flyer" points may have expired