Williams

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Williams

Post by pevfan »

Has almost become the forgotten man at Windy Hill. I know he's done SFA this season with Bendigo. But he does have impeccable credentials.... Theoretically at least, he'd be the best performed full forward on our list given his record at Hawthorn. What do you blokes reckon...Would it be a bridge too far for the coaching panel to come to him and say..."Look, we're going to give you X (lets say 4 for the sake of the argument) number of games to show us what you've got in the position in which you made your name.

As stated, while he's done nothing to warrant promotion, I get the very distinct that he's the sort of bloke that just cannot perform anywhere but on the biggest stage...there's been plenty of very good footballers as well as other top sportsmen who had very ordinary records at the sub-elite level e.g. Dennis Lillee had a rather unflattering Shield record with WA and yet we all know how good he was in the test arena...Warnie, much the same.

Thoughts???
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Re: Williams

Post by robrulz5 »

I would much prefer Hurley or Ryder playing at FF as they are long term prospects. Willo couldn't do much worse than Monfries at the moment.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Absolutely not. We've played well this year and he's not required unless he forces his way into the team via VFL performances.

I don't think he will do that, and given the emerging talent on our list if we get to the end of the year and are finding it difficult to make space for the next group of draftees, he should be paid out.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

They've been playing him everywhere but full forward for Bendigo this year.
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Whoever pushed Lloyd out the door, and then gave this Gnome a 3 year deal should never be allowed anywhere near the club again.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

robbie67 wrote:Whoever pushed Lloyd out the door, and then gave this Gnome a 3 year deal should never be allowed anywhere near the club again.
most ridiculous "list management" move ive ever seen...... just thinking about it makes me sad, can you imagine Hurley and Lloyd down there at the moment? i know Lloyd would be what 32/33 now but dead set, he'd have a ball down there not getting double teamed simply due to the fact they can't leave all our other talls on their own.... ah the joy we could be watching at the moment
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

robbie67 wrote:Whoever pushed Lloyd out the door, and then gave this Gnome a 3 year deal should never be allowed anywhere near the club again.
Let's not let speculation and innuendo become reality.

No doubting - Lloyd was pushed - however by his own admission he was finished at the end of 2009. He would not have played on beyond this point.

It was the way he went - not the timing that was most disappointing.

As for the Gnome - one of the worse drafting decisions the club has ever made. 3 years - a million $ plus - a spot on a developing list - and for what?????
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

hop wrote: No doubting - Lloyd was pushed
Was he? He was offered another contract and turned it down. That's a fact.

But the circumstances surrounding his decision to retire was most likely due to the fact he and Knights were at loggerheads in regards to the role he would play if he continued. Lloyd wanted to play at full forward - Knights wanted him to take a more roaming role (to allow the likes of Gumbleton and Neagle to develop as key forwards lol)

Lloyd didn't think he got the respect from Knights that he deserved - being captain and all - and I wonder if the captaincy issue was raised during their discussions prior to his decision. If it was, I reckon Lloyd wouldn't play on if he wasn't the captain of the club.

IMO, I think blame should be equally shared when it comes to discussing Lloyd's decision to retire. Both (he & Knights) were stubborn mules with regard to what they wanted from each other. But I was more in Knights' corner in regard to moving on and developing the team (at the time). I felt Lloyd was being a bit selfish and not looking after the interests of the team as a whole. And I didn't regard Lloyd as a good captain of the club - there were a number of instances were I felt he let himself and the team down during his tenure.

But anyway, that's history now. The decision to get Williams was not based around the replacement for Lloyd. It was a complex deal to get Andrew Lovett to another club and we did that by getting #16 for Lovett which we traded along with Jay Nash to Port Adelaide + #42 to Geelong to get Mark Williams + #24 (Jake Carlisle) from Port and #33 (Anthony Long) from Geelong.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Williams is the "Forgotten Man" for a reason.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

I still reckon we gotta try and get SOME sort of value from him FFS, particularly if Ryder and Hurley continue to struggle as they have over the past couple of weeks. With arguably some relatively easier games coming up I will be looking for Paddy and Hurley to start to turn their games around. If that doesn't happen Williams has got to be worth a try... surely
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

BenDoolan wrote:
hop wrote: No doubting - Lloyd was pushed
Was he? He was offered another contract and turned it down. That's a fact.

But the circumstances surrounding his decision to retire was most likely due to the fact he and Knights were at loggerheads in regards to the role he would play if he continued. Lloyd wanted to play at full forward - Knights wanted him to take a more roaming role (to allow the likes of Gumbleton and Neagle to develop as key forwards lol)

Lloyd didn't think he got the respect from Knights that he deserved - being captain and all - and I wonder if the captaincy issue was raised during their discussions prior to his decision. If it was, I reckon Lloyd wouldn't play on if he wasn't the captain of the club.

IMO, I think blame should be equally shared when it comes to discussing Lloyd's decision to retire. Both (he & Knights) were stubborn mules with regard to what they wanted from each other. But I was more in Knights' corner in regard to moving on and developing the team (at the time). I felt Lloyd was being a bit selfish and not looking after the interests of the team as a whole. And I didn't regard Lloyd as a good captain of the club - there were a number of instances were I felt he let himself and the team down during his tenure.

But anyway, that's history now. The decision to get Williams was not based around the replacement for Lloyd. It was a complex deal to get Andrew Lovett to another club and we did that by getting #16 for Lovett which we traded along with Jay Nash to Port Adelaide + #42 to Geelong to get Mark Williams + #24 (Jake Carlisle) from Port and #33 (Anthony Long) from Geelong.
Agree.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

pevfan wrote:I still reckon we gotta try and get SOME sort of value from him FFS, particularly if Ryder and Hurley continue to struggle as they have over the past couple of weeks. With arguably some relatively easier games coming up I will be looking for Paddy and Hurley to start to turn their games around. If that doesn't happen Williams has got to be worth a try... surely
Like any other player on the list, he should be selected IF his form warrants it and there is an available spot.

Until then, he should play his guts out every week with the view to being ready if/when he gets his chance.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

After a year and (nearly) a half not making a pressing case for inclusion in the seniors ... he is

Trade bait for GWS

That is all
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

s'dreams wrote:After a year and (nearly) a half not making a pressing case for inclusion in the seniors ... he is

Trade bait for GWS

That is all
Don't even think Sheeds will have a nibble at that bait, more chance of Neagle in a GWS guernsey.

Might have to be happy being a permanent VFL player soon im afraid.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

pevfan wrote:I still reckon we gotta try and get SOME sort of value from him FFS, particularly if Ryder and Hurley continue to struggle as they have over the past couple of weeks. With arguably some relatively easier games coming up I will be looking for Paddy and Hurley to start to turn their games around. If that doesn't happen Williams has got to be worth a try... surely
If Fletch had played today Hurley would have played forward for the whole game and WOULD have kicked a bag.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

But even before this week, Hurley has been horrible and Ryder worse. The structure has been thrown out for some reason. I would leave Ryder either permanent FF or permanent CHB.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Rosso your avatar is hypnotising me haha!

No place in the team for him at the moment... not even doing much in VFL. Only dire forward line injuries would be a reason for him to come in for mine.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

JumboPaddy wrote: Only dire forward line injuries would be a reason for him to come in for mine.
Even then it could be a better idea to put a midfielder forward.