Paddy Ryder

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Paddy Ryder

Post by robbie67 »

A thought from left field. We have all seen how good he can be roving his own ruckwork, or even the ruckwork of his opponett. Seeing we are a few down in the mid-field this week, how about giving him a decent run as a ruck-rover? I know West Coast have tried this with Natanui, and it hasnt been a resounding success, but I reckon the big differance is that Ryder is a far more natural footballer than Natanui. It could be the thing that gets him up and going again.

The only thing I think that may be a bit of a downside to it this week, is how poor and short the Richmond backline is, and we might want to smash home that advantage.

Anyways, thoughts oh wise ones?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Paddy Ryder

Post by Windy_Hill »

Is also won of the best tacklers in the team so could be very useful in the clinches. Agree Rob, definintely worth a try. He could become a Goodes like player (cept better :) )
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I like the idea. But I do think Natanui is quicker, has a bigger engine, and lately - just wants the ball more.

I'd be happy to see Paddy run his guts out.

But yeah, if it is dry Saturday night, we should stack the forward line with big c****.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Worth a try at some stage during the game I reckon. The problem we have is our bloody big blokes who hold down KP roles are f****** injured - Pears, Hurley, Gumbleton.

This forces our ruckmen to play up forward to fill the void. Our smaller forwards are doing the job at the minute - Crameri, Zaharakis, Reimers, Monfries have all kicked double digits. Ryder is our only "tall" to do so with 10 snags. Our three ruckmen combined have kicked 23 goals - so they're contributing up forward.

I guess Hille and TB can rotate up forward while Ryder has a run in the midfield.

And I personally would rather see NLM up forward than in defence. He could have an impact by taking a solid grab and kicking a few than making stupid errors in defence. Send Ryder in the back half I reckon.

Reality tells me NLM will be used in the midfield though....in the role you're suggesting for Ryder.

Dreamtime :wink: :P
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

If Paddy turns out to be half the player that Goodes is I will be effing stoked
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

BenDoolan wrote: Our smaller forwards are doing the job at the minute - Crameri, Zaharakis, Reimers, Monfries have all kicked double digits.
Crameri is only 1cm shorter than Lloydy!

I agree about Paddy, it would be good to see him put in a role where he has to go and get the ball.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

bomberdonnie wrote:If Paddy turns out to be half the player that Goodes is I will be effing stoked
I think Paddy needs a good kick in the arse. I was prepared to forgive Ryder's last season because I thought our game plan under Knights was completely shit-house and contrived to keep Paddy out of the game.

This year though - from what I've seen (which I admit hasn't been every game) - he's contributing about as much as Laycock might have. And that is saying something.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robrulz5 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote: Our smaller forwards are doing the job at the minute - Crameri, Zaharakis, Reimers, Monfries have all kicked double digits.
Crameri is only 1cm shorter than Lloydy!
So is Jobe Watson :wink:
Essendunny
Gnome Chomsky
Top Up Player

Post by Gnome Chomsky »

tonysoprano wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:If Paddy turns out to be half the player that Goodes is I will be effing stoked
I think Paddy needs a good kick in the arse. I was prepared to forgive Ryder's last season because I thought our game plan under Knights was completely shit-house and contrived to keep Paddy out of the game.

This year though - from what I've seen (which I admit hasn't been every game) - he's contributing about as much as Laycock might have. And that is saying something.
I have always been frustrated that he can never get more than 14 posessions a game. And lets be honest his workrate is the issue. Yes he is a good player however if he wants to be the superstar that he can be he needs to work harder.

I was an advocate of him going forward pre-season however after watching the west coast game his desire to work hard on the lead is an issue. An example was the ball was coming down the La Trobe street wing and Paddy led once to the "fat side". The ball hadn't been kicked and he had all the space in the world to double back and lead towards the goal squale (ala Riewoldt). Instead he stood still on the 50 line with his hand in the air....very lazy!
States are not moral agents, people are, and can impose moral standards on powerful institutions - Noam Chomsky
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:Send Ryder in the back half I reckon.
I reckon this is the go for this week.

I think he should play on Reiwoldt. He's the best equipped Bomber to match "Jumping" in the air. Plus give him a proper task and maybe he'll give a shit the whole game.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

j-mac31 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Send Ryder in the back half I reckon.
I reckon this is the go for this week.

I think he should play on Reiwoldt. He's the best equipped Bomber to match "Jumping" in the air. Plus give him a proper task and maybe he'll give a shit the whole game.
I like this. Rather than ponce about on the forward line, he is really accountable with a match up down back.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Ryder is playing way to Lazy to be even on the ball.

Probably should be running around for Bendigo at the moment.
filthy2

Post by filthy2 »

http://bombertalk4.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11366

Won't happen now given our parlous state......but Paddy...... action not words as per your BS on the EFC website. :|
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Ryder - For those who cant afford a Stanton
brad
Top Up Player

Post by brad »

Got a feeling he is going to kick 5-6 goals this week. :D
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Just a thought. i wonder if Paddy's nose is a bit out of joint given the great success of TB and the return of Hille.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

rockhole wrote:Just a thought. i wonder if Paddy's nose is a bit out of joint given the great success of TB and the return of Hille.
I doubt this is the case but if it is then ... Boo f****** hoo
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

bomberdonnie wrote:
rockhole wrote:Just a thought. i wonder if Paddy's nose is a bit out of joint given the great success of TB and the return of Hille.
I doubt this is the case but if it is then ... Boo f****** hoo
especially 'correct me if im wrong' last year he said he didn't like rucking as much as he did.

if that is the case then make him play Bendigo and say, if you wanna be in this team SHOW ME...... that would be good if GWS wasn't around, maybe Hirdy needs to take a bottle of red around to his place and have a good chat
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

robbie67 wrote:A thought from left field. We have all seen how good he can be roving his own ruckwork, or even the ruckwork of his opponett. Seeing we are a few down in the mid-field this week, how about giving him a decent run as a ruck-rover? I know West Coast have tried this with Natanui, and it hasnt been a resounding success, but I reckon the big differance is that Ryder is a far more natural footballer than Natanui. It could be the thing that gets him up and going again.

The only thing I think that may be a bit of a downside to it this week, is how poor and short the Richmond backline is, and we might want to smash home that advantage.

Anyways, thoughts oh wise ones?
Agree, need to just run around and cause havok. Wouldn't mind seeing on the wing either.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

He has always been a bit "laconic" but I have faith that Jimmy and the coaching staff will know where he will best serve us to get the 4 points!

He can play anywhere!