Where do you see us finishing now?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
brad
Top Up Player

Where do you see us finishing now?

Post by brad »

We're 8 rounds into the season and thus far have won 5.5 games (only losing the two).

Really we've only been 2 kicks short of having 7 wins out of 8 and even the Collingwood game we took it up to them.

Pretty amazing considering where we've come from last season (14th with 7 wins).

I predicted we'd rebound strongly as I didn't feel as list was anywhere near as bad as people (moreso outside of the club) said it was.

Initially I had has us down as finishing 5th.

Now I'm confident we can break into the top 4 and have us finishing 4th.

We will lose a few along the way but I don't think Hawthorn, Fremantle, Sydney, West Coast or the Bulldogs are going to get ahead of us.

Top 4 will end up being in my view:

Collingwood/Geelong (one and two way ahead of the pack)
Carlton/Essendon (3rd and 4th)

Hawthorn
Sydney
West Coast

Bulldogs/Fremantle to decide 8th (probably in Round 24)
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Re: Where do you see us finishing now?

Post by Gimps »

I think we'll drop out of the Top 4.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Hard to say. A lot will depend on player availability. And we're running out of that luxury.
Essendunny
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

I'm unsure at this stage...the next few weeks are crucial. We have to beat Richmond, Melbourne and North firstly. Still so much footy to play. We've always fallen away in past seasons during the second half of the year.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

i have no idea, but i also had carlton around 8th but they are better then id hoped too...... still confident we can stay 4th but we'll see maybe it will be more like 5th still a great platform for 2012
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I think we will finish top 4. There is something starting to happen at Essendon that I like. The group seem to be really tight. That's coaches, players, staff.

If we win this week, have a bye and we will then have most players back. It isn't all doom and gloom.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

BenDoolan wrote:Hard to say. A lot will depend on player availability. And we're running out of that luxury.
Yep my thoughts exactly... will all depend on the players available and whether our young group is able to sustain this form towards the end of the season.

The competition is so even it may also depend on what happens at other clubs in the 8 as well.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

It's May, we are still a relatively young side with a mounting injury list.

Personally I think the side has peaked in terms of its position on the ladder. We won't overtake collingwood and geelong.

Bombers could slide a little as I reckon we will drop a few games

My tip is we will end up around 7th.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

The goal at the start of the year was to improve and with the way the side is playing there has been a lot of improvement so far. Young sides tend to fall away in the 2nd half of the year so if we can get players fit and rotate them through the senior side to give some of the younger ones a rest we could go close to finishing top 4.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:Hard to say. A lot will depend on player availability. And we're running out of that luxury.
Bingo - not to mention that guys like Heppell, Melksham, Hibberd and possiblt Belly could well hit the wall by round 14.

Had we not lost Licha and Demps

Had we got Pears back

maybe, just maybe Top 4

Now, I fear we may struggle to regain the momentum. 6-8 is looking more llikely
filthy2

Post by filthy2 »

With injuries and STUPID suspensions mounting...lucky to play finals.

11.....effing 11....7 of our top 22 is unsustainable......plus knucklehead Hocking.

Could lose 3 in a row with that casualty list. :(
brad
Top Up Player

Post by brad »

We're not really playing kids (outside of Heppell) who are in their first year of AFL football.

Zaharakis is even in his 3rd season. Melksham 2nd.

We have a lot of a players who are in the team who are into their 5th + seasons (Paddy, Monfries, Jetta etc).

The kids were able to deal with it in 93 and other teams have put kids in who have been through a season and finals series (only need to look at Sidebottom, Rioli, Selwood).

If we were relying solely on Browne, Davis, Steinberg, Long, Carlisle, Ross etc then I'd be more concerned.

Hardingham, Cramry, Howlett have the bodies, maturity and games under their belt to withstand the rigors of the 24 Round 2011 season (taking into account the two byes).

We might drop one or two of the next 3-4 but think we'll still find ourselves top 4 with 13.5+ wins. (we're only 2 off now being ahead of where we were last season) :)
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

filthy2 wrote:With injuries and STUPID suspensions mounting...lucky to play finals.

11.....effing 11....7 of our top 22 is unsustainable......plus knucklehead Hocking.

Could lose 3 in a row with that casualty list. :(
Conspiracy?
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Not really fussed where we finish - this is a development year BUT finals experience would be sensational for our development!!

We will make the 8 and the higher up we are the more chance we are to go deeper in - thus more experience in finals for the team.

Rest assured there would not be a team in the AFL that would want to have to play the Bombers in the finals - because we have the "potential" (yes Gringo you can rip into me for using that word) to beat any team when we play at our best and the fast break hard running football we are playing now scares the shit out of most teams.

Looking forward to enjoying the rest of the ride this year and then we set up for a big 2012....
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

have to win at least 3 out of Hawks, Carlton, Swans, Eagles, Bulldogs to go with the "should win games"

also at least 1 of either Freo away and Adelaide away

with Watson/Hocking/Slattery/Hurley back for most of those games we are much better chance (obviously)...... be sensational if we can have Pears too but can't bank on him

Prismall and/or Dyson playing well if given the chance this week will help us enormously
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I had us outside the eight at the beginning of the season, so a finals berth to me would be sensational. Cannot see top 4 but 7-8 now possible.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

4th and losing to Collingwood in a prelim or 5th and losing to Freo in the semi.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Hard to say really. Many variables. 4-10 seems about right. A reasonable run with injuries would see us play finals.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

gringo wrote:Hard to say really. Many variables. 4-10 seems about right. A reasonable run with injuries would see us play finals.
Geez Gringy, having a bet each way there :D
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Windy_Hill wrote:
gringo wrote:Hard to say really. Many variables. 4-10 seems about right. A reasonable run with injuries would see us play finals.
Geez Gringy, having a bet each way there :D
More like taking the field..