Essendon v Melbourne Pre-Match Discussion

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Essendon v Melbourne Pre-Match Discussion

Post by Windy_Hill »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:If we dont beat them by 6+ goals I would be a little disappointed...
Right now, with key players missing, I will take any sort of win.
brad
Top Up Player

Post by brad »

If you didn't know we're actually playing tonight. The papers, tv and radio have all been about Melbourne. Their plight on the field, their recovering President off the field, their debutant tonight and not a thing about us. They've got so much to lose tonight both on and off the field I can't wait to see it unfold.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

brad wrote:If you didn't know we're actually playing tonight. The papers, tv and radio have all been about Melbourne. Their plight on the field, their recovering President off the field, their debutant tonight and not a thing about us. They've got so much to lose tonight both on and off the field I can't wait to see it unfold.
Typical of the media to pump up our opposition.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

brad wrote:If you didn't know we're actually playing tonight. The papers, tv and radio have all been about Melbourne. Their plight on the field, their recovering President off the field, their debutant tonight and not a thing about us. They've got so much to lose tonight both on and off the field I can't wait to see it unfold.
Thinking the same thing , even "Crackers " Keenan getting into the act. Still it gives us the warning of what to expect & it's preferable to beat a fired up opposition than the "lame dames" that the scum played last week. More glory & meaning in beating a worthy opponent.

Still though , hate the scum with a passion & can't wait to smash them next time.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Reality

No team needs the media to fire it up to play a game of footy. These guys are all professionals with first class coaching. However, what the media can do is cause players to lose sight of the basics. Frankly, I cant wait to see Melbourne come out swinging in a vain effort to prove a couple of "shit trucks" from Carlton wrong. Irrational and emotional over reaction cannot be good for any game plan. They will end up giving away dumb free kicks or in the heat of thr moment, make bad decisions.

All Essendon has to do is stick to their plan and absorb the emotion which generally has about 5 minutes sting in it before the game settles back into normal play - ie one superior team versus one inferior team

Fired up, emotional football is never a match for disciplined, ruthless football - certainly not over 120 mins
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Windy_Hill wrote:Reality

No team needs the media to fire it up to play a game of footy. These guys are all professionals with first class coaching. However, what the media can do is cause players to lose sight of the basics. Frankly, I cant wait to see Melbourne come out swinging in a vain effort to prove a couple of "shit trucks" from Carlton wrong. Irrational and emotional over reaction cannot be good for any game plan. They will end up giving away dumb free kicks or in the heat of thr moment, make bad decisions.

All Essendon has to do is stick to their plan and absorb the emotion which generally has about 5 minutes sting in it before the game settles back into normal play - ie one superior team versus one inferior team

Fired up, emotional football is never a match for disciplined, ruthless football - certainly not over 120 mins
Exactly right Windy. People bang on about firing up for a game. I always think back to the 2000 Qualifying Final. The Roos came out pumped up and on fire. King kicked the first goal and did a victory lap of the G, first 5 minutes we didnt look like we'd come to play at all.

We won by 125 points.

Emotion in footy is overrated.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

I don't expect the Dees to suddenly turn into a great contested side in a week. Actually, as long as we don't get injuries or reports I welcome the Dees focus.
It may get us frees, hopefully plenty in front of goal. We don't have to change our contested efforts. We're ranked 1, and they're last.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Dons by 33. If we get a decent start the Dees will go to pieces.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Just a few thoughts (don't know how many will see this before the game, but whatever).

I'm hoping Myers will go into the middle this week - Melbourne don't have a tall forward line and with Heppell, Hibberd, Browne and Hardingham in the team there are plenty of other half back options.

I think Hardingham is the best match up for Jurrah, who is probably Melbourne's most dangerous forward. Both mid-sozed, both jump out of the building.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.