Myers

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Myers

Post by Gimps »

f***, if you want to have a go at others, I'll have a go at my favourite..

So many on here rate him so highly, and continually preach that he should play in the midfield..

He is a farken spud, and he is SLOW. He cost us 3 goals (maybe even in a row) in the 3rd quarter because he was too slow to get to the contest. He'd get within a metre or two of his opponent in a marking contest and stop. HELLO dipshit! Get to the contest, put a body on, or punch the f*** out of the ball. He is as soft as butter that has been left out in the sun in Dubai.

In all seriousness, it was just a shit performance from the whole team. Our structures were f*****, so, I'd put that down to coaching as well. We were spent in the 3rd quarter, no run at all. And f***, can one of the coaches tell Crameri not to be so casual around the goals. That set shot he had in the last quarter was ridiculous. I had a side-on view of it, and before he even went to kick it, I was screaming at him to move back from the mark. 1,2,3 step, kick it like a gimp!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Myers

Post by Windy_Hill »

Re Myers, I still cant help think that he is being played out of position. He does not have the closing speed to play defence and its too easy for forwards to get around him. I would like to see him start a game in the middle with a view to capitalising on his body size and left foot kicking to the Forward 50
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

I suspect - despite his very occasional flashes of competency - he is like many of our mids. Another down-hill skiier.

If he doesn't want to be placed in the 'list clogger' category - he has half a season to prove his worth.
Last edited by hop on Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Agree , skills & decision making are questionable.

But his biggest problem is that he is SO SLOW . In the last couple of games saw opponents ran away from him as if he was standing still. FMD in this game you need pace , pace , pace if your other skills are down. So the possible positions he can play are virtually non existent except Bendigo.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gimps wrote:f***, if you want to have a go at others, I'll have a go at my favourite..

So many on here rate him so highly, and continually preach that he should play in the midfield..

He is a farken spud, and he is SLOW. He cost us 3 goals (maybe even in a row) in the 3rd quarter because he was too slow to get to the contest. He'd get within a metre or two of his opponent in a marking contest and stop. HELLO dipshit! Get to the contest, put a body on, or punch the f*** out of the ball. He is as soft as butter that has been left out in the sun in Dubai.

In all seriousness, it was just a shit performance from the whole team. Our structures were f*****, so, I'd put that down to coaching as well. We were spent in the 3rd quarter, no run at all. And f***, can one of the coaches tell Crameri not to be so casual around the goals. That set shot he had in the last quarter was ridiculous. I had a side-on view of it, and before he even went to kick it, I was screaming at him to move back from the mark. 1,2,3 step, kick it like a gimp!
Ah yes, good post. You've nailed all those moments pretty well. Still, there are heaps of other contests (from other players) around the ground that could be highlighted, but we'd be typing forever.
Essendunny
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

It's efforts from guys like him and Ryder that make me think we actually deserve for Heppell to become a superstar midfielder, or Hurley to become a dominant key position player. We've just had a laughably bad run with first round picks for so long.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Got 4 clearances in the last quarter when he went into the middle. He is not a defender.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

j-mac31 wrote:Got 4 clearances in the last quarter when he went into the middle. He is not a defender.
Has always looked a player at the centre bounces - always - so why dont they play him there for a whole game instead of making him play defensively
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

He's a bit of an enigma I reckon. Watching him live he doesn't appear to be doing much but then you look at his stats and he's often racked up 20 + ... Like last nights 22 possies
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

pevfan wrote:He's a bit of an enigma I reckon. Watching him live he doesn't appear to be doing much but then you look at his stats and he's often racked up 20 + ... Like last nights 22 possies
He was definitely in the better half of our team last night. However, he did get exposed badly for his lack of defensive pressure and pace on more than a couple of ocassions - these are lasting impressions for David unfortunately. Would love to see his booming left foot used as a weapon at centre clearances
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

I'm wondering if Dempsey was still playing if Myers may have already become a midfielder.

Maybe when Welsh returns?
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

F111 wrote:I'm wondering if Dempsey was still playing if Myers may have already become a midfielder.

I would put my left nut up on offer that Welsh is slower than Myers
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

j-mac31 wrote:Got 4 clearances in the last quarter when he went into the middle. He is not a defender.
This. If they start NLM in the middle surely they can give this kid a go in there. He is a pure midfielder
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

F111 wrote:I'm wondering if Dempsey was still playing if Myers may have already become a midfielder.

He said last Monday night that once Pears comes back he will move to the middle more often
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Has always looked a player at the centre bounces - always - so why dont they play him there for a whole game instead of making him play defensively
So, when he moves to the midfield he won't have to play defensively? Is he just going to have the aggot at all times? Some of the shit he dished up on friday night in general play was disgraceful.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Gimps wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
So, when he moves to the midfield he won't have to play defensively? Is he just going to have the aggot at all times? Some of the shit he dished up on friday night in general play was disgraceful.
And........given that our dominant mid-fielder is not blessed with pace - can we have both in the middle? Or is Myers mid-field role to provide respite for Jobe?
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Yeah, lets play Myers in the middle with Watson, Lonergan and Hocking.. slowest midfield in the history of the game.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gimps wrote:Yeah, lets play Myers in the middle with Watson, Lonergan and Hocking.. slowest midfield in the history of the game.

So just sack the guy!

Pfft - glad you lot arent coaching this team. Maybe give him half a season in the right position then make a call. And yes Gimps, you do have to have a defensive game as a mid-fielder but its significantly different in style and implementation than a half back flanker. His lack of pace, for a start, will not be so exposed.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Gimps wrote:Yeah, lets play Myers in the middle with Watson, Lonergan and Hocking.. slowest midfield in the history of the game.

So just sack the guy!

Pfft - glad you lot arent coaching this team. Maybe give him half a season in the right position then make a call. And yes Gimps, you do have to have a defensive game as a mid-fielder but its significantly different in style and implementation than a half back flanker. His lack of pace, for a start, will not be so exposed.
There's no way he could play in the midfield full-time when Watson and Hocking are back. So, if he can't play down back, what do we do with him?

And how do you know the midfield is his "right position"? He's hardly played in the midfield, and when he has, he's done 3/5's of f*** all.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gimps wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:

So just sack the guy!

There's no way he could play in the midfield full-time when Watson and Hocking are back. So, if he can't play down back, what do we do with him?

And how do you know the midfield is his "right position"? He's hardly played in the midfield, and when he has, he's done 3/5's of f*** all.
I think you will find that his best games have been when he has played more in the mid field - may not have been Judd like, but definitely showed more than as a defender