Make Laycock a CHB then take Looney in the Draft

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Crowny wrote:Dont see it working. I wonder if Chook has ever played there in his life. He would be too slow and too loose for guys like Brown and Hall. I dont reckon CHB is an easy position to master either. If it was then why arent there stacks of players who can keep your Browns, Halls, Tredreas etc quiet.
Ask any coach and they will tell you CHB is the easiest position to play - apart from anything else, you are up against the toughest position on the ground to play.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I have to agree with Windy in saying that CHB is an easy position to play. very easy.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

robrulz5 wrote:I think Laycock would best serve the club satrting up forward giving us another tall target and swaping with Hille in the ruck.
But Rob, we already have Lloyd, Johns, Lucas, Hird and Hille as marking tall forwards. I just cant see where Laycock fits into the team. Its quite clear he has not the endurance to go for long stretches in the ruck. And furthermore, we are investing in Hille and Ryder as key rucks.

No, I am not convinced that Laycock is going to find a place in the forward line
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Windy_Hill wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:I think Laycock would best serve the club satrting up forward giving us another tall target and swaping with Hille in the ruck.
But Rob, we already have Lloyd, Johns, Lucas, Hird and Hille as marking tall forwards. I just cant see where Laycock fits into the team. Its quite clear he has not the endurance to go for long stretches in the ruck. And furthermore, we are investing in Hille and Ryder as key rucks.

No, I am not convinced that Laycock is going to find a place in the forward line
Maybe your statement that I've highlighted sums up the situation Windy.

Trade bait for 2008 maybe?
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Windy_Hill wrote:

Hille will spend most of the time in the ruck while Laycock could probably pinch hit in the ruck now and then when Hille needs a rest.

Lloyd and Lucas will play their usual full forward and CHF positions while Johns will play in a pocket and Hirdy further up the ground. Laycock would be good floating around half-forward.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Ah DC.... good to see you are still around to take cheap shots at everyone elses contributions
Taking cheap shots at everyone elses contributions? 'Everyone' is exhaustive, and I have in no way, shape or form done this. I take shots at ANY ridiculous statement made.

Secondly you seem to be the chief off season poster from the looks of it. Have I taken any shots at anything else you have said? NO.

So like I said, I take shots at things that are just plain stupid.
yet you remain quite incabable of adding anything yourself?
Im just not quick to post silly ideas like this one, thats all.

As a side note, I have very rarely been proven wrong in things such as these. And am willing to bet ANYTHING that this hair-brained idea would fail miserably.

Dont take it personally Windy, I see your a very passionate fan, but some of the statements you make are outrageous, thats all.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Looney being a ruckman is going to take at least 3 seasons to hit his straps. Our Number 2 pick needs to be a bloke who can hit the ground running next season, not take until 2010 before he starts playing consistently well.

Laycock is as slow as treacle, has no mongrel & will be playing for his career next season. He should be our number one ruckman, but strikes me as a bloke who is lazy trainer & doesn't do the hard yards. People cracked off at Rioli all the time cause of this, but this bloke is just as bad. Let's face it, he looks like he doesn't mind a pie or 10.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Laycock at CHB? Nah. Hille would be better. Laycock might take the centre bounce and then run forward like Hille does.
Hille has the height, strength and pace to stay with the big chf's, but would he have the speed off the mark , or the stamina? He'd have the stamina...rucking accounts for that.

I still think Lucas is our best chb. He is also our best chf but we can cover that easier.

I wonder if Johns could do chb? Lee would need to show whether he can do it soon also.

Even if we get Hansen or Gumbleton, it's still going to be a couple of seasons before they can do the job. 2007 and 2008 will still present us with a problem at chb unless Lucas settles there.

LUCAS FOR CHB...FOR THE TEAM.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Crowny wrote:Dont see it working. I wonder if Chook has ever played there in his life. He would be too slow and too loose for guys like Brown and Hall. I dont reckon CHB is an easy position to master either. If it was then why arent there stacks of players who can keep your Browns, Halls, Tredreas etc quiet.
Ask any coach and they will tell you CHB is the easiest position to play - apart from anything else, you are up against the toughest position on the ground to play.
Well, if that is the case, then there is simply no hope for Kepler Bradley at being a footballer. There is a slight contradiction in the logic "If centre half is the hardest position to play, that means centre half back is the easiest". Try asking any CHB that had to play against the likes if Brereton, Kernahan, Carey, Brown, Tredrea, Hall or Reiwoldt if it were "easy".
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Windy_Hill wrote:

Laycock doesn't have to go for long spells in the ruck. He is our back up ruckman. Ryder is years off being even a back up ruckman - hence we need Laycock to fill this spot. If Hille is rucking, we have Lloyd at FF, Hird on a flank, Lucas at CHB looking angrily at Kepler who is sitting on the bench, Johns at CHF and Laycock in the forward pocket.

Laycock at CHB is not going to work. Too slow, too weak, no smarts, no mongrel.